Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

nickers112602

2006 Yamaha Raptor 80 Starting and Running Issues

I have a 2006 yamaha raptor 80, that i am haveing an issue with. It has about 20 hours on it pretty new hasnt been road much it has been sitting for 3 or 4 years. The first thang is it wont start just by pushing the start button you have to push start it for some reason? And next thang is it will not stay running if you turn the choke off. You have to leave the choke on all the way or it will die, does anyone know what the problem is with this 4 wheeler? Thanks for all that can help me out here.

Edited by nickers112602

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! The first thing I would do is check/replace that battery.

* Added a title, as there was no title at all with this thread, just a period.

thats kinda what i thought but wasnt sure. so you thank the battery would cause it to not to stay running after you turn the choke off?

Thanks

The reason it runs bad and won't run without the clutch is that the carb is probablu gummed up with old fuel. Drain and clean the tank, wash out all the fuel lines and the fuel petcock, replace any fuel filter if there is one. Lastly, take the carb COMPLETELY apart and clean EVERY little part and passage in that carb, if there are holes that you can't get anything through, use compressed air to blow them out. You want that thing spotless when you put it back on. Make sure the float is properly adjusted and make sure the float pin is in good shape, the tip should be soft and smooth. Check the condidion of any thing rubber, diaphragms, gaskets/o-rings and hoses. Inspect the intake boot and intake line coming from filter, check the filter itself. If everything looks to be in order, put the carb back on give it a try.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Shook
      Hi I have a 2000 big bear 400 and i just put a new carburetor on it and it idles fine but when you try to accelerate it sounds like it is going to die, so when it sounds like it is going to die I will give it more throttle then it will go just fine.
    • By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω
    • By Walter Awe
      I HAVE a 2002 big bear 400 4x4. I have two wires atacking to the front of the carb. What are they for?
    • By Lank Firdmont
      I have seen other posts and I'm not ableto download resources.
      I was gifted a Yamaha TerraPro and can find 0 online for help getting this running.
    • By Danielle Bingham
      So I have my very first Atc still. My dad gave it to me when I was very little (was brand new; one owner bike), and it has needed just two repairs over the approximately three decades: replace/repair pull-start. 
      Any ideas of some simple & not so simple mods/upgrades for this classic? I'd LOVE to swap the tranny for one with a real clutch, personally...possible??

• Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If we had a dollar for every time the question “Which is really faster, the 700 or the 450?” shows up in our inbox, mailbox, or voicemail, we’d be putting this magazine together from a bungalow on a barely inhabited tropical isle named Quadhama.
      http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1603755,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By Kyboy
      Iam looking for help seperating the rear brake drum and the cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.