Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

d617

2004 Suzuki LTZ 400 Electrical Problem

I have 2004 suzuki ltz 400

It idles fine but as soon as you get on the throttle it chokes out. It is not a fuel/carb problem. i have narrowed it down to electrical problem due to the fact that when I get on throttle it draws more power the quad shuts off. I think it is the magneto or voltage distrubtor. Also it runs fine only when the key is turned so lights are on. If turn key to lights off mode. the quad will die. any suggestions

I would guess you have an open circuit somewhere, when you turn the lights on, somehow that curcuit is partially closed allowing the machine to run. I would start at the battery with a multi-meter and start tracing power all the way around to the CDI and coil. Look for loose connections, damaged wires and loosely grounded components. Another thought, witht the machine running, check the output from the regulator/rectifier. If it is too high, it may be shutting the ignition off. Turning the light on may be drawing just enough power away to allow the engine to run.

I would guess you have an open circuit somewhere, when you turn the lights on, somehow that curcuit is partially closed allowing the machine to run. I would start at the battery with a multi-meter and start tracing power all the way around to the CDI and coil. Look for loose connections, damaged wires and loosely grounded components. Another thought, witht the machine running, check the output from the regulator/rectifier. If it is too high, it may be shutting the ignition off. Turning the light on may be drawing just enough power away to allow the engine to run.

Great advice, I would do what DirtDemon said here. :yes:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kawiherder
      It starts and runs Ok but after a while the temp gage lights up and the fan fails to start.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.  Thanks
    • By Dan Ellsweig
      Greetings
      I have a 98 Polaris Magnum 425. Runs GREAT for 10 minutes then starts to load up (sounds rich) and looses power. Final;ly just stalls out on idle. If it sits 20 minutes will run again.

replaced fuel, added fuel treatment (seafoam), Replaced plug (carbon fouled), plug wires, air and fuel filter, checked all fuel and vac hoses, REPLACED carb with new. Still no good. Just ordered a coil, not sure if that will help
      Note: both the new and old carb only had the idel adjuster screw - cant find the jet adjustments or air/fuel mix screws so I cannot say how they are set.

Looking for ideas short of spending big $$ on Polaris service

HELP?????

Thanks

Dan
    • By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By Tanner J Hawley
      Hey so i have a 85 Suzuki lt230s and it runs just fine except for some reason idk but wen i put it in gear and let off the clutch it wont move but the shifter goes threw all gears so idk what or how i would go about fixing it or were to even start?? Any help would b very much appreciated
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Trenton
      Hello. I am a new member as of today. I had a quick question to ask. I recently was driving mt HONDA RANCHER 2004 GPSscape 400 and my display stopped working. I was driving the atv and all of a sudden the speedometer and the service lights went out. Also the lights stopped working. I am still able to shift gears, change from 2wd to 4wd, and can still select if I want EPS or Auto. I have checked my fuse box and have changed a few of them around. It did not change anything. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what had happend. Thank you for your time- Trenton 
    • By LTZ-Zach
      So i was riding the other day and my quad randomly shut off. It started back up and ran completely fine for a little while and then it started idling terribly.
      I cleaned the carb and changed all the jets and everything except the float due to the rebuild kit not coming with one and it actually runs worse then it did before.
      It will run and idle decent now but when I give it gas it dies.
      Does anybody know what could be wrong?
      I also changed the spark plug and air filter along with the oil and oil filter.

• By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By ut1w7b
      I have a 94 sportsman 400. It sat for several years before i got it. I have cleaned the carb it will start and run for about 5 min then it will flood. I have torn it down and cant see anything wrong. has anyone else ran into this problem any hel would be great.