Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ee1978ta

2006 Arctic Cat 500 running poorly

I just bought a 2006 Artic Cat 500 (575 miles). It ran great when I tested it. Brought it home rode it fine. Added some gas, pretty sure the gas was good. Ran good, then all at once starting stalling when trying to open throttle and take off. Have to play with throttle to get going, still never makes any power. Idles okay. When throttle is increased is bogs down and backfires while in neutral. It is carbuerated. Is there an automatic electric choke? It does start good. Is there a safety devise that kills the spark if a sensor thinks the atv is in reverse or some other gear? I had a 2 wheel drive Polaris once that the reverse shift lever had a sensor on it that limited the engine power when in reverse. Had to wire around switch to get bike to accelerate.

I started a new thread for you, hope you find it. I sent you a PM to notify you. The first thing I woud try is draining the gas and start with fresh stuff. You want to rule out the easiest problems first. There is an electric choke on the right hand side of the carb as you are sitting on the quad. Checking that plug and connection is a good place to start, maybe try and see how it runs if you unplug it. If that doesn't seem to get you any where, get rid of the gas and start over with fresh stuff, I know you said you were pretty sure it was good, but you want to be positive that you have good gas in there. If putting fresh gas in there doesn't help, I would next check a few simple things like check/clean the air cleaner, change the spark plug, have the battery tested and check any fuel filter that may be on the machine. If none of those things do any good, I would try cleaning the carb and checking the float adjustment and check the fuel pump. Although it sounds more like a fuel problem, it is possible that your problem is in the ignition system. Pull the spark plug out, ground it against the engine and check the spark while turning the machine over. The spark should be a strong blue arc.

There is a member here who is pretty familiar with Artic Cats, hopefully he finds this and has some more advise for you.

There should be a button on the left handlebar that is usually yellow and is the reverse override. When in reverse, the RPM's are limited unless you press this. There could be an issue with this. It does sound like something got in the gas since it happened after he filled it.

That happened to me with my car right after a fill up, ran terrible and had to add gas stabilizer to clear it up. A good dose of Seafoam would help.

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Freezeman
      Thought i would share a fix that I came across. I was working on a 99 scambler 500, The customer complaint was that even with the fuel shut off the tank would slowly drain out onto the ground. First I found the fuel shut off was bad/ leaking/ dripping so I installed a new one thinking that would fix it. Then I ran it and and seen that the overflow was flowing fuel out from the bowl. So I cleaned the needle and seat and changed the float height to lower the fuel level in the bowl. Well... It still overflowed and flooded. So I bench tested the needle and seat with a pop off tester. I found that these newer style needle and seats just utilize an o-ring to install the brass seat into the carb.
      The o-ring for the seat had hardened up allowing fuel into the float bowl from under the seat. New o-ring and problems solved.  

• By Romain Catinaud
      Salut! J'ai acheté un quad 450 wolverine de 2006 mais je ne trouve pas le circuit coupé au guidon n'existe pas sur 2006? Merci les gars
    • By David Cameron
      The small waterline insert for the hose that goes from the water pump cover to the thermostat housing has corroded off. I only need the insert on top and behind the thermostat housing that the hose goes over and can't find just the insert. It looks like it may be pressed in. I've have been told the entire motor housing needs to be replaced. The pic with the red line indicates where the hose and insert would be and the insert looks like the pic of the water pump  Any ideas would be really appreciated.

• By mike costa
      The bike starts right up every time, and sounds great, on flat ground it seems a little under powered, but just going up hills on just forest service roads really slows it down. I know it's only a 250 and I am too big to be riding my wifes bike. Were these bikes limited by the factory?
      I picked up this bike from a family member who purchased it new, then let it sit for most of the last 13 years. It has less than 15 - 20 hours on it. I thought this would be a good first bike for my wife, and so far it is, so loves it. 
      The first thing I did when I got it was clean the jets on the carb, not knowing what I was doing I am sure I missed other things to look at when I had the carb out. After figuring out how to properly service this carb I plan to pull it again, and give it a more thorough cleaning. Before taking it apart again, I wanted to know what else I should do. 
      I did a little research and guys talked about mods to the air intake and and unplugging the exhaust... What's that mean....
      I would prefer not to have to purchase a whole new exhaust.
      I wouldn't mind installing a little bigger jets, but who is a reputable aftermarket? 
      I'm not looking for a race bike, but it just seems like it should have a little more zip.

• By mmmPUDDIN
      I've had this machine for 2ish years, has ran great up until winter. Sometime during then, I managed to break the exhaust right before the muffler. The summer before it had a hard time idling, but we fixed it by cleaning the carb, and messing with idle. Near the end of last year, the only way for it to fire was the have full choke, and full throttle, and the engine bogged down and you had to keep on throttle for 25mins. Over winter, the throttle had dislocated, and I got it back in place. We got it running, and all was good. Spring came along, and now it doesn't start at all. A fluid is coming out of the exhaust, and I'm told it could be water from over winter. I checked the airbox, and the air filter isn't for this quad, it also is barely sucking air. There appears to be little to no compression, based on this. I'm pretty sure the engine is flooded, as the spark plug produces a spark, but is oxidized. I don't know how the previous owner treated it, or when it's last oil change was. A bolt on the engine has either oil or gas seeping through it,abd was loose. I tightened it and it consisted. The engine is basically positioned in the rear, and it needs a good clean, I don't have a pressure washer, so I can get the built on dirt off. any recommendations on how to get the beast started again?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?
    • By Kyboy
      Iam looking for help seperating the rear brake drum and the cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate
    • By chevyboy
      AL righty I did some trading around this weekend and ended up picking up a few 4 wheelers for cheap. I ended up with this one for $500 in it total and well the guy told me it dropped a valve. I haven't really messed with it at all. But this weekend I am going to try and start working on it some to get it running before winter time frame. So what I am asking is a couple of questions.
      1. First off where do I start I tried pulling the pull cord and could not get it to move at all.
      2. I need to get a service manual for this 4 wheeler where can I get it downloaded for free?
      3. what do I need to look for and how do I go about this really. I do have experience with 4 wheelers but this one is a little different to me than others because its a V2 and I have no clue where to start internal on the engines. Most of my experience is on the outside portion of troubleshooting on theses wheelers.
      Please no smart butt answers as i am new to here but just wanted opinions on where to start. Please and thanks wink: