Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

zeigfeld

1992 Suzuki LT-230E running poorly, help please!!!

so i was having no issues with my quad the last ride but last friday i took my quad out and had a good run it ran all day no with no problams and then it hit it started to act up the same way it usaly dose but this time i couldnt feather out the bog and shifting down did nothing either and so it died so i did what i always do let it sit then it would start fine but this time it wouldnt start i pulled and pulled on the pull start nothing i tried getting a tow and droping the gear nothing so we took it back to the trailer and did the old air fuel spark after checking the first two we took out the spark plug and checked for spark what a suprise there was none so we took the spark cap off and behold my issue it was broken and smashed all to hell how it happened i have no clue but it had been like that for awile now to replace it all and try again ill let you know the out come

Edited by zeigfeld

ok so i have been on the website motovan looking thrugh catalogs but cannot find the coil i need because it says lt230e was only 85-86 im so confused i have already checked the plate on my quad and it says its a 92 any info to what coil i need let me know this i s the site i have been using Motovan - 2010 ATV Catalog

Check ronnies mail order. 1987 - 1993 are the years for that model. Does it give a month with the year on the tag??

Most likely it has been hotwired.

So I am gathering that you mean that the plug cap was broken, not the spark plug, is that correct? Why do you want to buy a whole new coil if all you need is the cap? Click this link, and look up your machine, using the dropdowns. When you get to the parts fische for your machine, select electrical from the dropdown menu, if all you need is a new plug cap, then items 12, 13, and 14 are what you need. If you really do need a coil it is there too, item 8. These guys and Service Honda usually have the lowest prices on OEM parts. In this case, Babbits prices are a few bucks cheaper.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/1/Suzuki.aspx

Edited by DirtDemon

hey dirt demon not just the cap was broken but the wire that comes from the coil to the plug cap was rotten so i just replaced it all not OEM but it works. today i changed it all over to the new coil wire and cap it tried to start but be for i could get a good pull the pull start cord snapped and i didnt really get much out of it but it tried to turn over when i did pull it or push start it unlike the old one. thats why i was asking about the being able to pull start the quad in the ignition off position because i wanted to figure if i need to turn the key to use the electrical start because the electrical start dose nothing currently and same for the head light and break light.

hey there i spent all day trying to get my quad to start but it would not we tried pulling it after we fixed the pull start tried the jumper cables to the starter and even tried to push it and drop the gear but it would run. bog pick up bog pick up then die the longest i lasted was a munite it sounds like it is flooding out but im not sure maybe not getting enough gas but its back fireing like crazy sounds like gun shots. when its started and boging i put new coil and wire to cap and cap cleaned the carb really good but still not running the quad still has tones of compresion but refuses to run any ideas?

Edited by zeigfeld

Yes, the key and kill switch must be on to pull start or compression start the machine.

First, check the valve lash and the flywheel key. If all is ok there, take the carb off and check for deposits, damaged diaphragms or a sticking float. Have you tried a new spark plug? I take it the machine is getting spark?

Edited by DirtDemon

how many turns from the reset point do you need for the stock jet screw? also my quad always pull started in the ignition off position

Edited by zeigfeld

Usually 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out from seated. A good way to get it set properly is to, with the engine running, turn the screw in the screw until the engine begins to stumble and run poorly. Then slowly turn the screw back out untill the engine idle reaches it's highest point, then re-adjust the idle setting if needed. If you have to turn the screw out more than 2 1/2 turns, you are probably running to lean on your pilot jet. If you turn it out less than 1 1/2 turns, then your pilot is too rich.

i got my quad running for like 1 munite but to keep it going i have to put my thumb on the throttle and it just keeps back fireing which i think is lean pop but im taking it to the shop today and if i can aford it ill let you all know whats wrong if not anyones info would be nice

Edited by zeigfeld

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By wwdubose
      I have two 2003 Suzuki Ozark 250s, both 2-wheel drive.  Last time we rode them about a year ago, the red one was not running well, didn't want to idle, backfired a lot.  The green one ran fine. 
      Fast forward...I ordered a carb kit for both of them, thinking the red one has some trash in a jet.  Both of these ATVs have had little use and I've always ran the gas out after use (put an inline cutoff valve in gas line).  I pull started the red one to verify it was still running bad.  It will start and idle, but as soon as you give it any throttle, it dies instantly.  Give it a little choke, dies instantly.  Took the carb apart and it was spotless.  Went ahead and cleaned all the holes with carb cleaner and blew everything out with compressed air.  All new jets, main jet holder, and needles.  Put it back on and nothing changed.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on.  It does the same thing when I try to run it turned to prime on the petcock as it does in the on position.
      Not an air filter issue.  It is clean and it does the same exact thing with no filter on it.
      Thought maybe there was a float issue or maybe a damaged diaphragm, so I took the carb off the green Ozark and put it on red.  Started up and initially ran normal and revved for about 10 seconds and then started doing the same exact thing.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on. 
      So...not the carb
      Thought maybe vacuum petcock was bad, but there's no gas in the vacuum line going from petcock to carb and gas flows freely when on prime.  I even plugged the vacuum line at both the petcock and carb end and tried to run it with valve set to prime.  Gas flows freely, but does exactly the same thing.  I unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the bowl and gas flows thru carb and out bowl drain line when petcock is set to prime.
      So, I'm assuming petcock is good?
      Checked spark plug and it wasn't fouled.  Reset gap, didn't help.  Will swap plugs between Ozarks tomorrow but I don't think that is it.
      Anyway, that he history and now you're all caught up.  Scratching my head.  Valves? These were bought at same time and have had little use.  Suggestions?
      Thanks!   
    • By amharrison24
      i have a 91 moto 4 100. has electric start only. for as long as i could remember we have always pushed start it. after riding for while you shut it off. you are able to hit the start button and it will start right up. anyone know where i should start with fixing this issue? im fixing it up for my niece. thank you in advance.
    • By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Steven Urban
      First time using this forum.  Owned a Kawasaki dirt bike once, had no issues.  But I picked up this 4 wheeler at an auction.  They stated it ran, but only needed a battery.  Well I do not believe that was all true.

Some pictures are attached.  Not sure why, but the whole air filter stuff was removed.  They had some small thing inserted as a make shift air filter.

I purchased a battery to try this all out.  Waiting to return it and get the proper size, as it was too big for the battery box.  But here is my issue I had while the battery was connected.

1 - The lights on the steering column did not come on.  Not sure if they work or not.

2 - The starter solenoid seems to be bad.  I have a new one on order. 

3 - In the pick, there is another rusted part.  Not sure what that part is or what it is used for.

4 - What is the 12v rectifier?  square bodied part.

So when I hooked the battery up.  Pushing the start button did nothing.  Pulling the cord to try and pull start, it turned, but would never fire.  I have put in a new spark plug as well, it looked worn out.  With electric start, I crossed over the posts on the start solenoid, it turned over, but would never fire and start.

I have read a few other threads and it stated something about needed the neutral light on.  SOmething about a kill switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Monika Novakov
      I have a 1988 Kawasaki 220 bayou. I removed the skid plate and misplaced the 4 bolts. Anyone know the size of these bolts, 3 dealers could not find any information. Can you please help?