Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Lamar1743

2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 has no fire

2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250. I get .19vac into the coil but nothing at the plug. There is no spark. It was running fine, and then I didn't start it for 2 months and this is what I'm faced with. I keep it in a shop and out of the weather.

What voltage should I read input to the coil and output to the plug?

I ordered a full service manual yesterday, but thought someone on here might have some experience. Thanks

You won't get any voltage at the coil wire unless the CDI is making it fire. Typical coil output to the spark plug is like 40,000 volts. I don't think that there is really any voltage coils primary terminal either, unless the CDI is firing. As I understand it, the CDI takes the 12v input and coverts it to around 600v AC using an internal inverter. When the CDI gets the trigger signal from the pickup coil, the internal capacitor discharges the 600v charge to the primary terminal on the coil. The coil turns that 600v into the 40,000 volts needed to jump the spark plug gap with a strong enough spark to ignite the air/fuel mix in the combustion chamber. I would recommend testing the voltage at the coil's primary terminal while someone is turning the motor over for you. You should get a better reading that way. If the voltage is several hundred volts or shows a relatively high, fluctuating reading, then your problem is likely the coil. If the voltage is low and, I would suspect the CDI is the problem, if there is none, or next to none and doesn't fluctuate, I would say the pickup coil is bad. I think the best thing to do though is wait for that manual, because I am generalizing, and your quad may use a slightly different style of ignition. Also, the repair manual will have some directions and specs for some direct resistance tests to test some of your ignition components. One thing I would recommend is inspecting for loose connections, bad/corroded grounds, or wires with worn insulation.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Josh: Thanks for your well thought out reply. That helps a lot and I will let you and everyone know when I finally find the culprit.

Another good idea is to check your wiring and the switch. I went round and round with Polaris everyone telling me it was the stator and wanting me to pay for a new one and come to find out it was just a loose wire/bad contact.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• By Ryan Foster
      I am trying to find a used OEM cylinder for the above mentioned quad. I was told the current cylinder came from Amazon so I suspect its aftermarket china (made from recycled coat hangers and shopping carts.) Anyway, was looking at the parts list and they have 2 cylinders listed..
      11210-19B82-0F0
      MODEL X/Y
      and..
      11210-19B90-0F0
      MODEL K1/K2

My engine case is stamped K403 230829 Trying to figure out what model I have. I see I have a K in there but....
      I don't know what the differences are between the cylinders (the first one cost more). Anybody know how to decipher this?
      I only have the engine, I don't have the frame to get the actual VIN.  

Also, are there any marks on an OEM cylinder to differentiate it from aftermarket?

• By Rick Robinson
      My Arctic Cat ATV started sputtering and backfiring and losing power on acceleration and sometimes die. It idles perfectly. I thought it may be the carburetor float sticking and would knock on the bowl and it would run great again for a while. It then started doing the same thing but I began hearing a loud knocking like low octane knock. This is intermittent and does not knock all the time. Thinking it was the carburetor float and possibly an obstruction in the jets I cleaned the tank and carburetor and put a new kit in. Still had the same problem. Bought a new OEM carburetor It still has the same problem at any adjustment? It also seems to improve a small amount when carburetor is disconnected from the filter system. I am starting to think it may be something else causing this possible a Coil or electrical? I would appreciate an experienced reply. I do have automotive shade tree experiences but this has me scratching my head. Thanks in advance!
    • By Amazon Ads
      Where do you buy your ATV parts? Did you know that Amazon has ATV parts in stock for immediate delivery? You'll find all the best ATV parts and for great prices! Check out all the ATV parts available with free 2 day shipping now...
    • By Hellraiser69
      Just got a new to me, 99 Kodiak w/ plow and an extra set of tires for dirt cheap. I'm curious where you guys purchase your parts for your older ATV's? Google is great to find parts, but I'm hoping you guys have some stores, online, that you prefer on a recommendation basis. I've already purchased my tune-up items, but the brakes need some work and I'll likely end up having to replace the steering stem bearing, front CV axles and a few other things down the road.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Jean de la Chevrotière
      View File Polaris 700 2002 Owner's manual
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
      Submitter Jean de la Chevrotière Submitted 12/01/2018 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Jean de la Chevrotière
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
    • By priglmeier
      I own a 2002 Can-Am Quest 650.
      It will start if you massage the throttle a bit and it will continue to run. BUT if you let go of the throttle and try to let it idle it will always die warm or cold.
      It has Non-Oxy premium gas, a new gapped NGK plug, a new carb (as of today) and fresh fluids. After installing the new carb it runs exactly the same.

I only have a few things that I have observed since the new carb:
      The choke still doesn't do anything. It has a good cable and it is hooked up. It on fully off. There is a cable in the top, front of the engine that splits into two connectors. The connected side is in the photo. The other side has the yellow banded section and is not connected. I do not see anything in range of this connector so I don't know if this is normal or not??? The original carb wasn't really dirty or clogged. I'll use it as a spare. I don't see this cable and connectors listed in the Can-Am shop manual. Looking for some help. I want to ride!

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html