Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

TxRECON

1999 Recon Smoking/Ticking

Hey guys new to the forum but I gotta question. Ive owned this recon for 11 years never skipped a beat until I sunk it on accident a couple years ago. I changed the oil n such when it happened but after that, the recon sat in storage for 2 years since ive been in college. Well dad wants it sold so im tryin to get it back into shape repainting racks, fixing breaks and gettin it to run right. I just rebuilt my carb and got it absolutely spotless runs good now! My problem is the bike smokes pretty good and i can hear a ticking noise in the head. Now the tick im almost positive is just a valve adjustment which I can do BUT the smoke... Ive heard the most likely culprit is the rings which from what ive read doesnt sound like a big deal to replace? What all is involved in replacing the rings, cost, how difficult, ect. any pics would be great as well.

Thanks,

Dakotah

let's see

the ticking is prob a valve, you're right there. But as Hondas wear, they tend to go tight and get quiet. I would adjust them and see if that does it, but I'll bet it is a bent valve from the swim. water doesn't compress.

Does it run OK but just smoke? It just about has to be rings, in which case you'll be taking the head off, so if you have a bent valve as suspected, no big deal. In the Honda forum there are Honda manuals available- download the one you need.

the rings could be stuck from sitting...

start with an oil change and a valve adjust and let's see what it's like after that. OK?

Edited by Raptor8

Kinda curious if it just smokes when the engines cold? Or always? If it's just as the engines warms up, probably got some cracked valve seals. The rings shouldnt be too bad to replace, but you might wanna at least take the jug down to the machinist and hone it at minimum. And you should know what all the job entails, I uploaded the manual for ya! =)

Thanks for the replies guys to answer questions yes it runs good it just smokes. And ill be tearin into the head after I order my parts. Thanks again rocky for that service manual that thing is incredible! I used it last night to tear into the rear differential because I got alot of rear brake issues. Cant believe how detailed those things are. My dad was envious so I downloaded one for his '97 foreman 400. Now question. Ive read a lil bit on boring the head and such, I just take it to a machine shop and get them to bore it to whatever ring size I want? The website im ordering from has like 4 different sizes any advantage on goin bigger bore n rings? I havent gotten a chance to look at the job details for it yet but it doesnt sound bad.

On the rear brakes, im replacing the rear pads and i noticed one of them is half way unglued like ive heard people talk about. My issue is the brake arm on the diff doesnt move real easy hence my problem so im thinkin fresh pads and clean everything real good and apply fresh grease where needed should suffice? im also having to deal with the damm foot brake which is frozen solid.

sorry for all the questions theres just not a whole lot of people i know that are knowledgable enough to help me. thanks again guys any input is appreciated.

you're on the right track.

You can't bore it enuf to really make a performance difference but if you do bore it, a good machinist will want the new piston and rings in his hand before he'll bore it. I agree with RMH a clean up is prob all you'll need, a machinist can measure the jug for you and tell you if it's worn out or not.

Brakes: everyhting clean and dry- you may as well throw some new pads on it while it's apart right? the lever should move smoothly- may need lube, perhaps a little sanding.

I guess we will find out when i tear down boy that makes me nervous. ya i ordered new rear pads and everything is gettin cleaned up just waiting on parts now after talkin to the company i ordered from it sounds eeexpensive to bore, new piston and rings wow. $$$$$ so hopefully it wont be that worn and i can get away with stock rings or the .25 rings which apparently can be used without boring or a new piston.

HONDAS are pretty tough. About the only way to hurt them is to run them out of oil.... pull the spark plug out and turn it over- if it pushes your thumb off the hole, that's pretty good! oil level makes a huge difference in any Honda.

it may be just vavle guides. the fastest way to tell that is to do a dry compression test and record the numbers. then put 3 or 4 squirts of engine oil in the cylinder and redo the compression test. if there is more than 20psi difference between wet and dry test it is going past the rings. if it is 20 psi or less then you have leaking/worn valve guides and seals. i would do this test before jumping into rings etc.

IMO, you are taking the head off regardless, if you are going to go that far, you might as well just replace everything you can, inside of your budget. Piston and/or rings, a fresh bore or hone, even if it isn't totally necessary. I would aslo check the head and see if a vavle grind or guide replacement will be needed soon, if so...?

Thanks for the ideas! im definately gonna do that compression test when i get a chance still waitin on damm parts!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bodon
      Anyone know what the fuse terminal marked UNSWITCH  does  .  Even with the key off it is causing a drain on my battery and I'm trying to figure out  what that terminal goes to.  It's a 10 amp fuse. If I pull it the "short" goes away.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Roy Anderson
      I have had a 2002 Suzuki King Quad 500 for almost a year. This is a question I’ve posted before, but likely missed the answer due to being new to the site. Here’s the issue. When in 4 wheel drive, especially in low range, especially when pulling a load downhill, I hear a lot of clanking in the front end. As if the front drive shaft was binding then unbinding. A friend who had a 1987 Dodge 4x4, told me all the noise his front end made when in 4 wheel drive was entirely normal. So, is this something I should worry about? I have all the bodywork and tank off right now doing a valve adjustment and carb rebuild. If I gotta do something, I’d like to do it now. Lastly, I’d love to find a carb tuning guide for this era of Mikuni. Haven’t tracked one down yet. Any thoughts of where to find one? Great forum. Have really enjoyed it so far.
    • By Jodawg1981
      How do i find out what carb came on a 06 suzuki ozark 250? Trying to get a new carb and need to know the model number or size. I know its a mikuni. Or if anyone has one let me know
    • By Micah Gafford
      I bought this ATV from a friend who had it stored in their shed for a few years. I've been going through it getting things ready to fire it back up and get it driving around. So far I've changed out fluids, removed and cleaned gas tank. I am waiting on a fuel fitting to be ready to able to put the gas tank back on and fire up the engine. I'll follow up once I get to that point with whether or not that went smoothly.
      Right now however I've got a brake problem. The brakes were locked up. I took the brake line off the master cylinder and made sure that it wasn't locked up, it works. I proceeded to try and flush them no luck. Then I just disconnected the brake lines. They appear to be blocked up. I don't know if the hose portions deteriorated or what. I've found the front left and right brake lines, although $70-80 each doesn't make me happy... I can't find anyone selling the rear brake line 1930751 or the primary 1930760 that goes to the inverted flare cross fitting. This leads me to wonder if I should buy parts and tools to make my own brake lines.
      Two questions:
      If I should decide to make my own can you point me to any tutorials out there on doing that and what size are these lines with the flared fittings?
      Can anyone else find the two brake lines i listed for sale somewhere?
    • By Jodawg1981
      What the hell does everyone use to pull a flywheel/rotor on a 99 yamaha bear tracker 250? I have looked online and they show 2 or 3 different ones. Finally figured mine out and need to remove the stator rotor to repair the starter gear.it wasnt installed correctly causing my issue of it just spinning the starter
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By RichUncleSkeleton
      Hello
      Just signed up, as I've had a recurring problem, and need some help.
      To start the bike I have to put the choke on all the way and 4 squeezes on the gas, Then as I push the start, I slow squeeze the throttle about half way for it to catch....If I miss it, then it will take 5 mins of slowly finding the sweetspot on the choke in unison with some throttle squeezes.
      Then I have to to hold the throttle to keep the bike going, using the choke will stall it out. after about 3 mins of holding the throttle, I then can let it go, and it idles fine, and runs fine. If it sits for a few hours it's only slightly hard to start, but a few days of sitting, and it's a lot more work.
      Had the bike serviced they couldn't figure it out. They swapped peticock, plug, new gas, all new lines, new throttle, and cable. Said the carb was fine, and clean. New air filter, said fuel pump was fine, no leaks around carb boots, new battery, new rectifier.
      Ran some sea foam through it....Runs Great.....Just such a pain to start...
      Thanks
    • By Flyman
      Good morning all I am new to the forum and new to the world of ATVs. I recently purchased a 99 big bear 350 4x4 that has a few issues to be resolved. it started with the push button starter it would just click when the button was pushed to date I have replaced the solenoid with a Napa 4 wire setup (not sure if this is installed correctly) and replaced the older baterry with a AGM battery. after all of that it still clicks but the source of the click is a white plastic rectangular box with 2 wires going into it. i have 12.8 volts to the first post of the solenoid and nothing on the second post when the button is pushed. when the solenoid is jumped the starter engages. lastly i have no lights when the buggy is not running and when i hit the light switch there is also a click that happens. Thanks for any info anyone can provide I greatly appreciate the help.
      Flyman
    • By oldcomet
      Morning Folks
      Ok so I have taken the front hubs apart everything is good and working fluids changed and full In 2 wheel drive the bike works great However in 4 wheel drive high I get a grinding clunking noise right near the foot pegs The universals are all brand new in the complete bike The problem just started after my last ride Sometimes I have to change the rpm to get the bike to go into gear in forward and reverse The bike doesn't make the grinding noise when I have the bike in 4 wheel driver low gear only in high gear Could the shifter need adjusting any help would be great Thanks for your time
      Oldcomet
    • By Ccnyv
      Just bought this quad and it is in pretty good shape.
      It is missing a small plastic piece right above the headlamp cover right in front of handle bars. Does anybody know where I can find this piece?
      Now the CV axle. The left inner CV boot is ripped and wheel hesitates when making a sharp turn in that direction. I am trying to find a replacement or a fix, but have been recieving different suggestions for the fix.
      First one was buy a replacement CV axle. Second said to that the inner was it's own build and that if you ought a CV axle it would only e a half shaft. Just confused and need some guidence.
      Thank you guys!
    • By vedder37
      Title says it all. When I researched part it shows it does not exist anymore, discontinued. What can I do to stop the leak? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for part? The leak is coming from where shifter goes through seal, not around outside of seal between case and seal.
      Thanks.