Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

globalfastener

is my drive belt worn out???

Are you having any problems that lead you to ask about the drive belt? If you aren't getting up to full speed, are experiencing what seems like some kind of slipping in the drive train, if you have to hit a higher rpm to get the machine to move, or visual signs of wear, all could be things that a worn drive belt, or sticking/slipping clutches could cause.

i am not getting up to full speed. i am off by almost 15 mph. the bike still runs good, and there is no issues with the carb. it simply peters out at about 30 mph....the motor seems to be pumping hard but its like the tranny is not doing its job. the belts are relatively cheap, but i thought if anyone knew how to measure the slack in the belt. the belt does not look all that bad, but i dont want to do any un-necessary repaires

I am not sure on the belt slack specs myself, but a dealer tech may be willing to share that info with you. Or you could always just get a repair manual, it is a good thing to have anyway. If the clutches all seem to be ok, then I would definately try replacing the belt. Good luck.

belts are hard to know if they are worn ... with the cost of the belt not being to bad i would replace it and see ... now i have also seen some clutches do the same thing as that ... the little rollers and shims in them will start to ware and will not let the clutch engage all the way ...

Edited by CK1999_400ex

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So i took a road trip today to look at a Suzuki Eiger! 2006 in perfect condition other then the fact it starts for 30 seconds and shuts down.  
      Its been sitting for about a year in a shed. 
      It has a plow and a winch included!!!
      Got it for a really good price and all looks good so far.  

Stay tuned.  

• By Aaron Drost
      Hello bought my 2000 polaris sportsman 500 last week bike seems to work pretty good untill yesterday, when in reverse the bike seems to start bogging out? How come? 
    • By Randel1
      I'm on to the next project. I am trying to put a 1994 Suzuki 250 2X4 quad runner back into service. I am currently going thru the fuel system and am waiting on some parts. In the meantime I have been trying to locate replacement fenders and I'm not having much luck.  The orriginal fenders have become brittle and cracked due to sun and exposure to the elements. Any help on finding replacement fenders, OEM or aftermarket, will be appreciated.

• By technofarmer
      Well its finally happened, its time to replace the belt on my 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.   Is there anything specific i need to know before getting into it? Is there one brand of belt i should get over another?   I'm still on my first Polaris and plan to keep it at least another 8 years.   
    • By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By technofarmer
      Well its finally happened, its time to replace the belt on my 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.   Is there anything specific i need to know before getting into it? Is there one brand of belt i should get over another?   I'm still on my first Polaris and plan to keep it at least another 8 years.   
    • By Connie Johnson Donald Hudson
      Smells like gas in the oil ... Also, recently replaced belt, new BT does not have grooves on both sides, does that pose a problem?  Also just bought and replaced new carburetor, never has it idled better, but give it gas and it backfires very loudly!
    • By bodatiouskid
      Just bought a 2003 Kodiak 450.At take off,the belt doesnt grab for a few seconds.Is there any wat to tighten belt?& how tight should it be?
    • By oldcomet
      Morning Folks
      Ok so I have taken the front hubs apart everything is good and working fluids changed and full In 2 wheel drive the bike works great However in 4 wheel drive high I get a grinding clunking noise right near the foot pegs The universals are all brand new in the complete bike The problem just started after my last ride Sometimes I have to change the rpm to get the bike to go into gear in forward and reverse The bike doesn't make the grinding noise when I have the bike in 4 wheel driver low gear only in high gear Could the shifter need adjusting any help would be great Thanks for your time
      Oldcomet