Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

dirtjunkie85

KFX 450 cam mod ???

Hi I have a 2008 KFX 450 and have herd you can put the cams out of the KXF 450 dirt bike in it to get better performance anyone done this or know if it really helps??

I have no idea, there is at least one other KFX 450 rider that I know of on the site, maybe he will chime in with something. What I do know, is that I run stage 1 Hotcams in my LT-R 450 and they work great. I would ceartainly recommend them if you want to go that route. Also, any cam upgrade is going to be more effective with upgraded exhuast, intake, and a fuel controller.

its not the kxf 450 thats two stroke dirt bike if I remember correctly. but an 07- 09 KX450 four stroke have the same grind as stage two hotcam. I have heard of guys doing it and it opens the top end up a lot on the KFX450 which is were these quads usually fall on there faces. You have the big three (pipe, intake, and fuel controller) other was cams are worthless cause you have no way of adjusting the a/f ratio as well as not having the proper in and out for air and exhaust. My suggestion is though is either look for stage one kx450 hotcam or stage two kf450 hot cams. They have the same grind on the lobes as the stock kx450 cams and you can usually find new hotcams for cheap on ebay.

Thanks for the input I will check into this further also what intake do you run I am looking at purchasing one already have a exhaust and fuel controller also how much do you gain with the intake thanks!!

its not the kxf 450 thats two stroke dirt bike if I remember correctly. but an 07- 09 KX450 four stroke have the same grind as stage two hotcam. I have heard of guys doing it and it opens the top end up a lot on the KFX450 which is were these quads usually fall on there faces. You have the big three (pipe, intake, and fuel controller) other was cams are worthless cause you have no way of adjusting the a/f ratio as well as not having the proper in and out for air and exhaust. My suggestion is though is either look for stage one kx450 hotcam or stage two kf450 hot cams. They have the same grind on the lobes as the stock kx450 cams and you can usually find new hotcams for cheap on ebay.

Still can`t beat my R:wink:

Thanks for the input I will check into this further also what intake do you run I am looking at purchasing one already have a exhaust and fuel controller also how much do you gain with the intake thanks!!

I run the fuelatv.com air eliminator intake (no air box) but like others I am finding out they're junk. Go with fuel custom's intake (FCI) bigger intake and made better. A stock intake on these are the worse thing for them after the airbox that 5" diameter filter makes a 90degree tun and converts into a damn near 1"x3" rectangle then back to the 36mm throttle body. Be prepared for a 5+ hp gain just by changing the intake and get your quad dynod after this if you search on other forums you can ask guys to send you there maps to run if you're running the same fuel controller. What fuel controller are you running on your kfx450? PCIII; PCV; or the procom?

Still can`t beat my R:wink:

maybe after I get my head port and polished with a new piston I'll be able to beat your quad dale......maybe:wink:

I am running a lexx slip on exhaust and a lexx fuel controller after putting these on I gained alot of power from stock but if what I am hearing about the intake is true i need to get one asap 5 horses really? that would be sweat thanks for the input.

Will a intake really add 5 horse to my KFX 450? Just the fuel custommes intake is a little expensive so I want to be sure before I spend the cash thanks!!

Will a intake really add 5 horse to my KFX 450? Just the fuel custommes intake is a little expensive so I want to be sure before I spend the cash thanks!!

5 hp probably not but it will open the air to it With fuel controller Full exhaust system and intake your going to wake it up :yes: the head pipes on these quads are too small they choke your power :yes:I found out the hard way

the K&n makes one that claims 4.5 hp increase, fuel custom intake FCI claims 6 hp gain over stock. The air-intake is very restrictive you'll be surprised in what you'll gain with an after market one.

Edited by Jonny450R

Hey Jonny 450 are you still there what are your thoughts will it add 5 horse I know a intake on a honda or yfz wont but i herd on the kfx it does thanks!!

Hey Jonny 450 are you still there what are your thoughts will it add 5 horse I know a intake on a honda or yfz wont but i herd on the kfx it does thanks!!

There was a guy who dynoed all three intakes on kfx450hq one time but I can't remember what each gain was. I do think though that you can get 5 hp gain with the intake easily cause the stock one is so restrictive. Remember all the numbers are based off of a stock quad and you might not get exactly 5 more if not close to it. One thing to keep in mind, if you decide to go with a aftermarket intake, does the fuel controller you're running have enough adjustment to make your quad run properly.

I use the same fuel controller on my LT-R, it is fully adjustable and will easily be able to compensate for the extra airflow.

Going back to this one if you're looking for trying to find an intake cheaper I think tech quad shop is still having a sale on fuel custom intakes. But when you're talking $250-$300 for an intake granted its a chunk of change it's worth every penny. If I look in my garage I think I might have a k&N replacement filter for the stock air box running around.

I use the same fuel controller on my LT-R, it is fully adjustable and will easily be able to compensate for the extra airflow.

Cool I didn't know, everyone I know runs either the Power Commander line or Procom.

I wish I would have spent a few more $$ and gotten a more popular one, ie. the PC, because of the availability of suggested fuel maps to go with your specific mods, is would be nice to have a general starting point like that. Poking around blindly at the thing to get it fine tuned is kind of a pain, like jetting a carb, but at least I get to push buttons instead of change jets.

no doubt I had the pcIII and now I got the procom ecu that modifies the fuel mapping and timing. unfortunately there's no push button option but it has 10 pre set map on it and you can go on their site and get more map their website. Or you can take it to the dyno and have them modify one of the set maps.

I have install stage 3 hot cams, huge aluminum air box with the biggest k&n filer two brother Full system, High Compression head at 13.1 with a pcIII., but I am having a mayor problem tunning it., can get it to wake up., we dyno it but could not get anything over 37 HP,t it keeps asking for more fuel that it can give., the PC is max out on 50 but it is still shocking at 8000 rpm., Any suggestion on how to resolve this., I am thinking to go back to the OEM cams., Help.......

I have install stage 3 hot cams, huge aluminum air box with the biggest k&n filer two brother Full system, High Compression head at 13.1 with a pcIII., but I am having a mayor problem tunning it., can get it to wake up., we dyno it but could not get anything over 37 HP,t it keeps asking for more fuel that it can give., the PC is max out on 50 but it is still shocking at 8000 rpm., Any suggestion on how to resolve this., I am thinking to go back to the OEM cams., Help.......

you need to upgrade to a larger throttle body with the higher volume injector to meet the fuel needs of the high comp piston and stage 3 cams.