Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

redneckyankee

raptor 660 starter issue

i never seen a starter set up like this , use to work on car's but this looks crazy to me . my starter spins and makes a grinding noise, well not really a grind i cant describe it . ok pulled starter and it works fine, i took off side cover and it looks like it dosnt hit the other gear to turn over the engine. some guy told me a starter clutch ,what the heck is a starter clutch and how do i install 1

Edited by redneckyankee

ur starter clutch is bad,it is located on the left side of ur bike behind the side cover,u will also need a balancer puller to remove the fly wheel,it's not that hard to replace,go to thes site and it will tell u how to replace ur one way,as well as parts needed,i have done a couple of them,make sure u replace the 52 tooth gear...................L&A Designs One Way Yamaha Raptor 660 Starter Clutch

message me if u have any questions....good luck

One suggestion, do not use a conventional 2-3 jaw puller to remove your flywheel. There is a specific puller made for removing the flywheel on your machine, and they aren't too expensive. It screws into the flywheel and has a bolt on the inside that screws in and pushes your flywheel off. You can get away with using regular generic pullers sometimes, but I have personally seen flywheels ruined by using the wrong tool. I definately agree that it sounds like your starter clutch is the problem.

thanks guy's i will look at the link and see if i can handle it . i still dont understand how it works? the stater clutch must engage something to move the gear to the starter i guess.

Once you get in there, and can see how it is set up, you may better understand how it works. Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Michael France
      I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 KLF220A and I cannot get it to start using the starter button. I have replaced the starter solenoid and the starter relay. I have followed the wiring diagram in the repair manual and it looks like the switch is working well, the neutral and reverse relay have power running through them and appear tp be working correctly. However, I can not find a wire runnng the the starter button that has power on it. Anybody have any idea what the break down is?
    • By oliverstevenrjr
      I have a 425 Magnum that idles great but seems to flood out when I rev it up, sputters, backfires a little somtimes. No water in gas, good fuel filter, carb seems to be fine, good working diaphram. Plug change makes no difference whatsoever.
    • By Guy Churchward
      I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and find myself with a start issue.. I changed the battery so it’s not that.. here’s a video of me trying and then boost starting.. can anyone give me pointers as to a starter motor issue or fuse or wiring or whatever ?.. I find myself without a vehicle with a tow hitch for the 1st time in years so have a dead and stranded ATV to fix !
      thanks in advance, suggestions welcome
      Guy

IMG_5952.mp4  

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      Want to show you one automotive show that I filmed in my town called Crazy Race. This was two day race in Qualifications round, Semifinals and Final. In this 4 parts I am showing best moments from all rounds and entertainment of the show.
      Crazy Race Part 2 contains a qualifying round where all riders race against each other, selected by lot and split by two. They are free to drive in any direction and to hit their opponent's car everywhere except at the driver's door. Anyone who intentionally hit the other car in the driver's door is disqualified. Winner of each race continue in the semifinal round. In this part I will present the best moments of the qualifying round! 

Part 3 shows you the best moments from Day 2 - Semifinals and Final. Battles in the semifinals are among the winners of the first day races, but this time they are selected by lot and divided into 4 battles of 4-5 cars each. The rules in each battle are that they only have to drive in one direction and try to neutralize other opponents until there are only two players left. Then the battle between the two last drivers has the rule to drive in any direction until only one who has qualified for the final round is left. Again, anyone who intentionally hit the other car in the driver's door is disqualified.
      For the final round there were only two cars left, because the other two players who got the right to be there had problems with their car and could not participate.

Part 4 containing entertainments between battles and winners rewarding.
      This event will have second round in 05-06 October 2019 and also will be filmed  For this new round I will filmed in many new angels and places. Will prepare a lot more videos and many new entertainments . This 4 videos was my first try so many things to wish for better filming in the future one.
      Hope you will like them and of course feel free to comment and to ask everything. Hope you will Subscribe to my channel and to be first to see my other content and of course new round of Crazy Race! Thanks!
    • By Reece Bowen
      x   just bought this expedition 425 and the Speedo needle does not work. The lights work for the shift indcator. So is this an electronic Speedo or cable? Is there a way to fix it or will I have to replace the unit? Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ron Boyd
      I was wondering if the complete headlight assembly from a 06 yfz450 would fit my 05 raptor 660r looking for a quick responses I found a set new for 25 bucks and either way dont want to pass up but was qurious.
    • By Brian Simmons
      I put on a new stater  , How would my Yamaha raptor 350 act if the starter clutch went out ??? Please help !!! There is no metal in oil . Its like when you hit the starter button nothing ? Any ideas ???

• By amelia slabbert
      Hi I have a YAMAHA RAPTOR 660R 2003
      I have taken of my Air filter and sprayed in my air inlet some carberator cleaner while starting it. That causes some problems. It struggles to start now. Please look at my attachedment video. 
      What can I do now.? 
      MOV_1402.mp4 MOV_1401.mp4
    • By orvilleortiz538
      Hey Frank I posted some pictures of my stator from my Raptor660r and I need some help,here are some pics of the numbers I got from the stator the 494 is ok,that's from the white/red & white/green wires but from the white to white I was getting no reading and from the blue and red wires also no reading, so it's most likely done right?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• By Ankromsathome
      Purchased a 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250 for my son about 1 year ago and have been having problems with the starting system ever since.
      Since owning for one year we have gone thru 2 starters and 2 starter gears. Now its spring 2019 and time for a third replacement. Am starting to think that we may have a more serious issue.
      Upon replacing, the starter and starter gear, its starts fine, then after about 10 starts, you start to hear a bit of grinding. The grinding slowly gets worse until the teeth on the starter and the starter gear become trashed.
      I've heard possible solutions from the starter clutch needing replaced to the casing for the starter gear shaft being out of spec?
      I've also noticed that here is no difference or change if its in gear or not.
      I just replaced the trans clutch as well.
      Any suggestions?