Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mike13ortega

polaris scrambler 400 transmission noise..;.

hey i just bought a 2001 polaris scrambler 400 2x4 that runs. but unfortunately the transmission is kinda messed up.... when i start it up it runs good. when i put it in gear(in drive) it makes a loud grinding noise!!!!.. it barely walks ...when i turn it off and roll it, it makes the same grinding noise....also the reverse dosnt work.. i bought it becasue i thought its a good price for $400 and is in real good condition and has clean title... please tell me what might be causing this noise. im not very experienced with transmissions but ill give iit a try.....any help appreciated:biggrin:

sounds like your shifter linkage/rod may be out of adjustment [ not engaging all the way ].

Could be the linkage is out of adjustment or it could be an internal tranny problem, bent shift fork, or something of that nature. I would try to adjust the linkage first and see if that helps at all. Also, inspect the entire gearshift assembly for loose or worn parts. If you can't get it fixed from the outside, you may end up having to split the gear case and look inside for the problem. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.