Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

dajosher69

06 trx450er 450 cc clutch not fully disengaging

i have a 06 trx450er and clutch wont fully disengage it goes through the gears fine but when you put it in 1st gear it starts to go it slips but moves with clutch fully realeased it wont go into nuteral when idleing either i thought to adjust clutch but still did it even up to the point of adjusting it so far that it sliped going through gears please help idk what it could be.

i have a 06 trx450er and clutch wont fully disengage it goes through the gears fine but when you put it in 1st gear it starts to go it slips but moves with clutch fully realeased it wont go into nuteral when idleing either i thought to adjust clutch but still did it even up to the point of adjusting it so far that it sliped going through gears please help idk what it could be.

Is this something that just started ?

I just got the bike so im not for sure. when i got it the clutch handle was broken. So i just took for granted. The was that bike was niglected so i've been going through it piece by piece finally got it runing right and now this.it shifts fine and when i'ts not runing it goes through the gears fine. i'ts like something is sticking within the clutch pack wierd never experienced this before with any bike.it either enguages fully or slips. it try's to fall on its face when you put it in gear but understandible due to the fact it lunges forward but pops right in gear and i thought maybe fork was bent thats why i adjusted clutch and i adjusted so far that it sliped when rideing and still the same thing it lunges and has to much pressure on trans to allow it to pop in nuteral while running here is a question though could to much trans lube cause this? cant wait to get it right this bike is a beast much more power then i expected from a 450 supprised me big time. thanks for responses and i hope we can get to the bottom of this.

it could either be a worn out clutch or a slave/syncro sleeve. If you adjust it till it slips then turn it back until it stops with a slight play in the clutch handle you clutch should be set. but if it slips when it is set then it may be possible to have to much fluid.

You could check your clutch basket, might have wear groves and clutch plates can't freely move back and forth in the basket, causing them to hang up, and therefore not disengage. Just a thought.

That's a good point Lawny. Using the wrong oil, or low quality oil could be causing problems too, conventional oils, especially cheap ones, have a tendance to leave deposits, these deposits are likely to build up on things like clutch plates and cause slipping. Automotive oil uses friction modifiers that are not good for wet clutch applications, that will also cause slipping. I would start by changing your oil, and while the oil is drained, take the clutch cover off, take the clutch apart and inspect the clutch components for damage, excessive wear, or deposits on the discs and plates. Make sure all the linkage is in proper order too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Bigal700
      I got a 1994 yamaha timberwolf that 2 years ago i bought put carb on off a parts one had it running but not the best so i rebuilt the carb seemed to run good then i left it sit i wanted to ride it so,i took carb apart to clean it looked good had it running but wouldn't idle not a big deal then it died so i gave up on now trying to start wont do anything i checked spark looks good, has great compression and its getting gas i sprayed starter fluid in it and it still wont do anything what the heck could be wrong?
    • By Richard Paradise
      My 1997 Beg Bear got stuck in 2nd Gear when parked on slight hill, otherwise in perfect shape. Trying to get it into neutral, by rocking it back and forth won't release out of gear.
      Any suggestions, It's my work horse and I keep it in to shape, got to get it running..
    • By MarkinAR
      Passing thought here and thought I'd pitch it to the group for debate.  I'm working through a Kodiak which is basically a Big Bear in a heavier bike and the same as about anything Japanese made for 30 years as far as clutch function and design goes.  This Kodiak is odd though in that the centrifugal clutch slipped a bit with good clutch material remaining and the main clutch pack seems to slip a bit as well at high RPM but also still has good clutch material left.  Much like the Kawa race bikes from what I've read.  Do you think it's an option to add a thin washer to the pressure bolts to put a bit more pressure on the main clutch and force it to use a bit more of the clutch material before having to replace?  There's seriously like 50% of fiber left on the main clutch pack and it seems silly to replace it all before it's truly worn down.
    • By Cj Winds
      I have a 2000 Polaris Xplorer with the 250 two stroke motor
      It does not want to start with the electric start, the motor cranks fast, the battery is good, and there is good spark when cranking. The engine starts perfect when using the pull cord, it even starts if I pull the cord slowly and starts with one pull. The engine idles smoothly once started. My wife says she needs the electric start to work.

• By Chris Abshire
      Changed fuel pump, has spark and good compression. Tried a gravity feed trick and still couldnt get it to fire off. But it does try to crank when i spray starter fluid. With pump connected and fuel hose off, it should still pump fuel, correct ? But its not. And i cant find anything online about this bike. Has less than 200 hrs, so barely gets ridden (wifes). New fuel in tank. Any suggestions would help. Thanx....
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kristpj
      I know this tooic has been addressed by many, I’ve looked through many forums and pages. I did not find anything like the problem i have.
      I have a 2007 Kingquad 450. I have a new fully charged battery. When i turn the key, the dash flashes and seems to struggle before getting fully lite. We can hear a small relay near the computer clicking, i think it is the fuel pump relay. When i turn off the engine kill switch and press the starting button relays click and all the power shuts off, i turn the key off, engine kill switch then start over, power is there. Atv will start with pull start, but not elextricly. if i try to use my winch, all power cuts and engine dies. 

Can anyone tell me what it may be? or has anyone fsced an issue like this before?
    • By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By Steven Alter
      I have a 2018 450 and the digital gause has started flashing on an off while driving. The backlit also goes on and off. It is worse when I hit the gas. The battery died a few weeks ago and I jumped it but its been fine until last night. Called the dealer and showed them a vid and they recommend replacing the gauge and its like 600 bucks. The machine has less than 100 hours on it. I would really hate to have to change it out. also the unit sometimes has trouble starting. Any ideas?
    • By Admin
      View File 2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 02/08/2019 Category Arctic Cat ATV  
    • By Admin
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual