Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

morbid588

1984 Kawi 250 prairie, starting issue

I am working on this bike for my friend, (dont really know anything about it). It has an electric fuel pump that is working great, and the spark is good. I got it started two days ago, now it wont even act like it wants to :aargh:. I have pulled the carb and cleaned it... twice, just to make sure I didnt miss anything. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Marc

The things I have done-

Cleaned the carb.

checked fuel pump- it pumps good.

Checked spark- looks real strong.

Not sure whats next to try.

Compression is great,l airflow seems good too. It has a keihin pe20 carb on it, way different than my Honda, and it starts intermittently. It seems that when you adjust the idle all the way in it will start, and it runs great. Then when you shut it off and it cools down you are back at square one trying to get it started again. I am kinda lost as to what to do next to make it easy like my Honda. Guess I should stick with Honda.

How did you clean the carb? Did you take it apart completely and clean out the jets, pilot circuit, float bowl vent? The carb needs to be cleaned completely. How old is the gas? If it is old, you may want to drain it and put some fresh stuff in there. You should check the valve lash and do a compression test too. Make sure the air filter is clean.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By wendi loden
      I replaced the fuel pump filter and it ran great for a week or so. Then while driving across the yard in 3rd gear it shut off and hasn't started since. It has fire and its getting fuel, all fuses are good, battery fully charged. The fuel pump relay seems to be warmer than it should be when spinning it over. Any help is appreciated!
    • By Dwight Williams
      Hey everyone, I've been scratching my head over this for most of the day.  I bought a couple of Bayou 220's, got them running (they've both been sitting), and started tweaking and fixing small things.  One of them is mostly done, the other had an aftermarket carb on it and I've been trying to sort that out.

Anyway, while adjusting the carb it died a few times, I restarted and moved on until it died and wouldn't restart.  I figured maybe I'd flooded it or something - after further attempts I realized I had no spark.  Since I have two identical machines I have many parts at my disposal.  I've swapped the CDI, spark plug and coil with no luck.  I have good resistance readings from the stator and pick up (135 and 110 respectively),  I don't have a peak voltage meter but I measure around 53VAC on the stator when cranking.  I have a 4 wire stator, not an alternator like the newer ones.  Grounds look good, I've checked the kill switch by verifying that it and the ignition switch grounds the black/yellow wire to the CDI.  I can turn the engine slowly and see the pickup short the meter as well, seems normal right?  So far everything I've checked looks the same on both machines.  I've got the service manual and wiring diagrams.  Do these readings make any sense?  I'm obviously missing something but I'm stumped.  thanks!
    • By YamahaBB350
      I have a Yamaha Big Bear 350 and the reverse doesn’t work, it shifts from low to high easily but it won’t go back to reverse. I’m new to this stuff, so I’ll take any help. Any ideas? 
    • By technofarmer
      Hi there i was needing to ask a question. I may soon be getting a UTV of one sort or another and not sure what is good or better to avoid?  So far i hear great things about the Arctic Cat Prowler and Havoc, and many speak well of the Kawasaki Mule all but the 610?  

So what are your thoughts and especially experiences?  What have you had and used in farm life and trail riding that has held up well or hasn't?        
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By Kyboy
      Iam looking for help seperating the rear brake drum and the cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate
    • By Beb1041
      Looking for a download of a manual
    • By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.
    • By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you