Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ezlife

98 Grizzly detailed question No Spark ( suprised )

I have owned a powersports shop for 4 years and have over time I have become the shop that gets the bikes with problems other shops have gave up on. Recently I came into this 98 grizzly. It had no spark. I had a list of changed parts from the previous shop. Aparently new stator meant soldering a new pickup coil. We every test by the book with the starting and charging system and find the motor control unit is bad as well. I put the new stator in, no spark, I unplug the motor control unit and I have spark. I return the atv. I get a call a week later that the engine has slowly lost spark again. Me and the mechanic argue that because we took the motor control unit out of the picture we lost spark again. We replace the motor control unit, still no spark. We ohm out the pick-up coil it comes in 100 ohms short. We ohm the source coil and it comes in 100 ohms over. Ricks stator tells me I need a booklet of paperwork and them to test the product before a return would be issued. So I bought another stator. Still no spark. The pick up coil and the source coil ohm out the same on the new stator. We have ohmed out every switch relay and wire. My grounds are hooked through the harness and show no signs of damage. When I test for voltage at the main coil, The most recieved is .2 volts, this is at the cdi to coil power output. but often that quickly fades into mv. Took the stator out and inspected. No visual signs of damage. Tried adjust the pickup coil a hair closer to the fly wheel. Fly wheel pickup tab is in good shape. The diode tests fine. The rectifier tests fine. I have unplugged unesary parts and bipassed every safety switch. The battery is fully charged. Is it possible that this is another bad stator assembly right out of the box from Ricks Stator? I have only every had 1 other bad stator from them.

i agree with ajmboy the cdi box is the brain to the whole operation kind of like a module on a distributor. if that is not sending signal then no spark will be created. i would test there first. if that is ok then i would chase for a poor conection or a bad wire i the circut for that system.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By Jack.hart
      Need help with a 2007 polaris phoenix 200 no spark new cdi,new ignition coil,checked resistance on pulse coil and stator,not getting power to start button now guessing the solenoide went in all the testing not sure.also have three ground wires to battery is this normal or..?
    • By LOGAN WARNER
      Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I have a 98 king quad 300, I cannot get it to run right. It will start up and run for a little bit but then it starts sputtering when you give it throttle. It appears to me that it is getting to much fuel. 
      this is what I have done to it: new carburetor, new fuel filter, adjusted the valves.
    • By Dan Tressler
      I have a 2018 Sportsman 570 SP Hunters Edition. I bought the quad new in August of 2018 and put around 20 miles on it with no issues. In early January of this year the quad was acting as if it had a bad battery even though it had been plugged into a tender. I checked the battery and it tested well so I took it to the dealership for warranty service. They had it for almost a month. They determined the quad had a bad EPS unit and swapped it out. Then they told me that the wire for the EPS needed to be updated as they could not program the new unit with the old wire. After the wire came in dealership told me they were still having troubles programming. After another week and a half they told me that they had consulted several times with engineers from Polaris and found a workaround and that the quad was ready for pickup. I contacted Polaris to inquire about the warranty being extended as it was in the shop for a month. They extended the 6 month factory warranty for an additional 3 months. I picked the quad up and the dealership said that the 2018 SP editions were known to have issue a with the EPS units but believed that they had fixed mine. I had it back for around a month and took it out a couple times for short rides and everything seemed fine. I parked it again for a few days and when I went to start it same issues (acting like the battery is no good and won’t start, when I jump start no power steering). Took it back to dealership and waiting to hear what the diagnosis is this time as well as their plan to fix this permanently. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues similar to mine or can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By gyminis
      HELP, i have a 2009 yamaha grizzly 700 yfm7fgpy special edition with a defective fuel pump and am wanting to know how to test it to know if it is defective or not
    • By gyminis
      i have a 2009 grizzly 700,replaced the fuel pump and filter,replaced the spark plug and checked the air filter for a mouse house! it runs then shuts down,wont stay running,does the fuel line need to be primed and air free to run properly or am i missing something obvious??????????????
    • By Lowride14
      Hello everyone, I have a 99 grizzly 600 and I am about to split the crankcase due to a leaking gasket.
      I have the motor pulled out of the quad and I need to split the crankcase but I can seem to figure out how to comes apart.
      Do I need to pull the clutch cover off and losen anything or do I just need to use a soft hammer and keep smacking it apart?
    • By ksinfield1
      Has anyone bypassed the rev limiter button on the 550 Grizzly. Since I have put tracks on the quad, I need to run it at higher rpms in 4X4 in the deep snow. Is there any downside to bypassing the switch or even installing a 2nd bypass toggle switch?