Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Hey i just thought it would be kinda cool to see what everyone does for a living. I work for Western Pump and Dredge, we supply Well servicing companies (Halliburton, Slumberger, Cal-Frac, ect).frac water to Frac Natural gas wells. We pump the frac water from the storage containers to the frac trucks We also rebuild the pumps and pump unwanted water out of location. Its a pretty good and fun job

Edited by hvy_chevy_one

Great thread hvy_chevy_one!

I'm a regional sales manager for an autoparts company.

I work civil service for the Air Force as a Aircraft Engine Mechanic Inspector......

I'm a field service engineer for Thomas and Betts in the Un-interpretable Power Supply division. In other words I work with big batteries high voltage and machines that blow up when they break....

I work for a large engineering firm in the power division (power plants: coal, natural gas, geothermal and solar) as the Process and Instrumentation supervisor. I.E. I am the admin for the software and am reponsible for all the drawings and time lines for all the projects no matter where they are being done (usually here in Denver or Atlanta).....i.e. if something goes wrong, everyone blames it on me.

which is why I rarely ride anymore because I have to fly all over the country all the time.

I work for a large engineering firm in the power division (power plants: coal, natural gas, geothermal and solar) as the Process and Instrumentation supervisor. I.E. I am the admin for the software and am reponsible for all the drawings and time lines for all the projects no matter where they are being done (usually here in Denver or Atlanta).....i.e. if something goes wrong, everyone blames it on me.

which is why I rarely ride anymore because I have to fly all over the country all the time.

i thought you were going to say that you rarely have time to ride because your always get blamed for stuff :wink: sounds like a bit of a complicated job to me

Actually, my boss is pretty cool. He has seen my quad in the back of my truck and let me leave early so I can hit rampart for a few hours

Network Manager. I oversee operations of the IT infrastructure (servers, routers, switches, etc.) for a watch and jewelry company. I "get" to travel between Michigan, New York City, L.A. and Hong Kong. Lucky me :skeptic:

I'm not proud to say I am drawing disablity after hurting my back and all the pain managment treatments were tried I went under the knife Now I have a 3 level fusion L4 L5 & S1 and now suffer from a disc in my neck that caues my hands & arms to go numb. + that carpeltunnel crap. So I try to enjoy my quad while I can & some times I don't get to ride. By the way anybody use a twist throttle. I think it would be better for my hand. I had worked at Goodyear as an aligment tech. till the shop closed then went to a textile co. & got hurt there.

Edited by hangingon

That sucks, back an neck problems are a terrible thing to deal with. I have some of the same issues, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I feel for ya bro.

I work for an underground utility company, we maintain all of the natural gas distribution pipelines in the area.

I repair heavy aerial and underground equipment like cable placers, digger derricks, Champion rodders plus other crap for utility companies (Verizon, Con Edison etc.) and it leaves me no time for anything

I am the president, CEO, lawyer, accountant, gopher, mechanic, welder, truck driver, engineer and laborer

I'm not proud to say I am drawing disablity after hurting my back and all the pain managment treatments were tried I went under the knife Now I have a 3 level fusion L4 L5 & S1 and now suffer from a disc in my neck that caues my hands & arms to go numb. + that carpeltunnel crap. So I try to enjoy my quad while I can & some times I don't get to ride. By the way anybody use a twist throttle. I think it would be better for my hand. I had worked at Goodyear as an aligment tech. till the shop closed then went to a textile co. & got hurt there.

wow man thats no good at all.. Sorry to hear about that.Hopefully it gets better soon

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Brian Sosebee

I just rebuilt my 03 sportsman 400. Put everything back together added oil per the manual. Pinched off the oil tank vent line 2" away ran for 45 seconds then cut it off. Check oil level and it was still way high so I wasn't confident that it primed so I did it again. Checked again and it's the same. Remove the oil filter and it is dry. I did the procedure again and the same results.

I'm worried to keep trying this as the only oil in the engine is what I used to lubricate the parts when reassembling the piston. The crankcase was drained as well.
      I Removed the oil tank and checked all the lines for obstructions and the screen filter and the vent hose and everything is clear. I even pulled a small vacuum on the oil tank while it was pulled off to make sure there were no leaks. The dipstick cap was on tight so I'm not sure why this thing is not priming.

Anyone have any suggestions. I thought about pre-priming the oil lines from the oil tank to the crankcase to hopefully help the system prime. I'd like to be able to add some oil to the crankcase to so I wouldn't feel so bad about running the engine for another 60 seconds without oil. I dropped just a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole to help condition the sleeve right now.

What do I do? Anyone had or heard of an oil pump failure on these. Btw oil pump is working fine before I did the top-end rebuild and the oil pump was not touched.

Please help!!! Thanks all for any and all help.
    • By Orangejbird
      My Dad's 03 Manual Vinson has milky oil. He changed oil and ran it everyday for a week being sure to keep it running for an hour each time. Fresh oil is getting milky again..
      Thinking it's the water pump seal. Has anyone here successfully changed the seal or even replaced the whole pump assembly?
    • By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought this scream of a deal the other day - a 94 King Quad 300 for $40.00.  It's been sitting outside with no carburetor on it for about a year.  Its rusty, missing some parts, wiring is all cut up and spliced etc.  No seat, no racks but the plastic is all there minus the headlight housing.  Anyway, who can pass up a $40.00 quad right?  I get it home and looked at the sight glass for oil level, it's about 1/2 oil and 1/2 water.  I drain it, refill it and turn the motor by hand (recoil starter is missing) and it turns over just fine.  I worked on the wiring for about an hour and got it to turn over with the electric starter and got enough of it sorted out to get a spark.  Did a quick compression test, 70 lbs.  Wet test bumped it up to 90.  Ok, so rings and cylinder washed out with water for a year, not too surprised.  I thought 'what the hell' and sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 2 seconds - enough to show  it's got life.  Since then the compression has gotten worse, I can't get enough pressure to activate the carb diaphragm, therefore no fuel pump either.  The compression is now around 60.
        Anyway, my question is....is it worth it to try to get this thing going?  I tore the top end down today and the cam and one of the rockers is pretty worn.  I figured a top end job would be about $100 or so, depending on the condition of the cylinder but I'll probably have to put a cam and rockers in it as well.  Doing some research on ebay I figure I'll have to spend about $500-$700 to make the whole machine right again.  Much less just to make it run and use as-is but I won't really like it until it's right.  I don't mind doing the work, I actually enjoy it but I'm concerned about what all that water did to the rest of the internals, I can't really test it all out until I can make it run.
      I know it's a basket case but I'm not into it much at all, even if I do the top end and find something else wrong I'm still not out much.  I'm leaning toward ordering the top end parts and going from there unless you can convince me otherwise - any way to check the rest of the internals without tearing it down?  I plan on flushing the oil cooler before I do another oil change, I've drained it twice now and it gets milky almost immediately just turning the starter - I suspect the oil cooler is polluted badly.

I'll get some pictures today if anyone want to see them.

thanks!