Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

MIKEL5469

2003 yamaha 660 raptor blowing smoke

Well i have a serious issue on my hands,one of my raptors is a sick puppy. she seems to be blowing blue smoke under hard throttle,and a little bit at idle,i am not 100% sure what i am going to do with her yet,but i think a top end rebuild may have to happen,other than that she runs great,i suspect the piston rings are shot,do you guys have any opinions on what could be the old girls sickness could be? :aargh::mad:

Sounds like rings. All that talk about a 700 has hurt her feelings. If it was just when you started her up and it went away valve seals. Sorry to hear that.

Well if it is the rings and you have to get her top end redone thats not to bad. It's better than a blown motor.

for sure,i think i am going to go through the head and jug while it is apart,maybe give her a little zing,a least i still have another one i can ride

for sure,i think i am going to go through the head and jug while it is apart,maybe give her a little zing,a least i still have another one i can ride

Dam Mike that sucks !! Time for the 700 yami !! :biggrin: If your going to do all that work dont forget about the bottom end !!Those bearings are 8 years old also !! JMO

the bottom end seems to be pretty good,no funny noises or rattles,i don't want to go to crazy because i still have my sights set on a 700

Rings and new valve stem seals are actually a cheap and easy fix. With a C- Clamp, a cut up old deep well socket and some patience you can do the whole your job yourself. I recomend ordering oem gaskets. I have did quite a few top ends and find oem holds up best. Now if you need a cylinder bored for a new piston you are about to spend some money.

i have a friend who does machine work and he owes me a few favors,so i am pretty much set there,he is going to go through the head and take care of the cylinder for me,and i think i will have him port and polish the head while he is at it.

i have a friend who does machine work and he owes me a few favors,so i am pretty much set there,he is going to go through the head and take care of the cylinder for me,and i think i will have him port and polish the head while he is at it.

Sounds good Mike ! But a new top end Piston -port and polish new valves puts a lot of stress on the bottom end ! Ask me how I know :biggrin:one of my biggest screw ups :aargh:After doing all the work I trashed my bottom end lesson learned

quadnut is right on that one you need a good bottom end. You don't want to blow the bottom end out. the upper would give you more compression and alittle higher rpms and if the bottom is not strong enough to take it you'll be looking for a new motor.

quadnut is right on that one you need a good bottom end. You don't want to blow the bottom end out. the upper would give you more compression and alittle higher rpms and if the bottom is not strong enough to take it you'll be looking for a new motor.

:laugh:I figured that out the hard way !!:yes:

my friend who is the machinest,and i talked about that,and he seems to think the bottom end is strong enough and will be fine,i guess he should know,he does it for a living,he builds motors every day

my friend who is the machinest,and i talked about that,and he seems to think the bottom end is strong enough and will be fine,i guess he should know,he does it for a living,he builds motors every day

Mike any GOOD engine builder will tell you that you never put new heads and pistons :no: on an old bottom end Those raptor have a crazy amount of Torque Remember alot of car engines builder are lost with the smaller motors I would get a 2nd opinon !! I learned the hard way !!! An 8 year old botton end is askin for trouble !!!JMO

Mike I built my first motor when I was 16 I would NEVER not do the bottom end All you doing is spliting the cases and dropping in new seals and bearing !! About 40 $ in parts !!! well worth the trouble !!! that crank and rod are way more costly

Edited by quadnut20

well i got the motor out of her saturday night,finished up about 1:30 am,and we will be tearing it down soon,wish me luck....lol

here is what she looks like now............looks like a sick puppy..............

<script src='http://imageshack.us/shareable/?i=2003raptorengineremoval.jpg&s=707' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>2003raptorengineremoval.jpg</noscript>

<script src='http://imageshack.us/shareable/?i=2003raptorengineremoval.jpg&s=831' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>2003raptorengineremoval.jpg</noscript>

<script src='http://imageshack.us/shareable/?i=2003raptorengineremoval.jpg&s=855' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>2003raptorengineremoval.jpg</noscript>

<script src='http://imageshack.us/shareable/?i=2003raptorengineremoval.jpg&s=821' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>2003raptorengineremoval.jpg</noscript>

Edited by MIKEL5469

I'm jumping back in on this one! No one can tell you how good the bottom end is without tearing it down and checking the tolerances. These motors rev high & are pushed hard. A small engine works a lot harder than lets say a car. You want the crank and rod to be in spec and a new timing chain should be on your list new seals & gaskets you would save in the long run to have it done right the first time. Please don't take this the wrong way but you put (he thinks). I know sometimes it comes down to money also on how much we can spend but if you plan on keeping this quad I would want to know it's good. I worked in a high performance automotive co. I have seen a motor with the rod comming out of the oil pan more than once. If it checks out ok you can reuse it just replace the crank & rod bearings.