Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2005 Suzuki Ozark 250 Poor Idle

gmel

Need some help please.

My 2005 250 ozark starts, idles, and runs great for about 5 minutes. Then it wants to shut off at idle and restarts ok but won't idle. After riding it for a while longer it dosen't want to start once it shuts off.

After rebuilding the carb is when it, starts, idles, and runs great for about 5 minutes.

Fresh gas, checked the petcock for blockage.

This seems to be a common problem, any one know a fix?

Check your fuel lines for cracking, recheck float adjustment, recheck the jets and make sure you got everything good and clean. Now a good sign is to check the spark plug is it wet with gas, black looking, ect. It would help if you pulled the plug and post it's condition. There is a lot of people on here that can help the more info the better. A bad coil can cause one to shut off as the coil gets hot but I think you would be able to run it more than 5mins. Good luck!

Edited by hangingon

I rebuilt the carb. It really improved the starting and idle. It was hard to start and would not idle at all, if it shut off after riding for 10 - 20 minutes no way it would start back until it cooled. It seems to run fine now until it gets hot, then it won't idle. It ran the other day for 30 minutes, I could feather the throttle to keep it running at idle. Eventually it got to the point it would not start.

Is there something I may have missed during the rebuild

How to Read Spark Plug Colors (written by Atlantic Jet Sports)

In General: Reading spark plugs can be a valuable tuning aid. By examining the spark plug insulator color, an experienced personal watercraft engine tuner can determine valuable information about the engine's overall operating condition.

Normal: Grey to Light Golden-Brown Color

This condition is ideal, the spark plug and engine air/fuel mixture are operating properly.

Dry: Black Soot Buildup

Air/fuel mixture is too rich, the carburetor settings are incorrect, or the flame arrestor is dirty or has mounting problems.

Spark plug heat range is too cold for the operating conditions.

Ignition system problems causing a weak or intermittent spark.

Wet Fouling: Shiny, Wet, Black Appearance

Excessive use of the choke (gas fouled)

Prolonged low rpm operation (gas or oil fouled)

Fuel to oil ratio is too rich (oil fouled)

Excess Deposits: Bumpy, Chalky Buildup

Poor fuel quality

Oil leakage into combustion chamber

Improper oil used for premix/injected

Overheated: White, Blistered, Melted Electrode

Lean air/fuel mixture

Spark plug heat range is too hot for operating condition of the engine

Plug is not properly gapped and/or torqued onto head

Overly advanced timing

A detonation problem would show signs, such as silver specs, black specs, or melting or breakage at the firing tip.

NOTE: Signs of fouling or excessive heat must be traced quickly to prevent further deterioration of performance and to prevent possible engine damage.

See what you all think about this.

When I purchased this thing it would hardly start or run, kept flooding out.

Adjusted the valves and rebuilt the carb; started, ran, and idled perfectly; until it got hot.

After inspecting the coil , I decided to check the oil level. The oil had a lot of fuel in it, so I changed it. Since changing the oil this thing runs perfectly.

Do you suppose it was starting to seize up when it got hot and that is why it would quit ideling?

• 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By kantrud97
      Hello i have a 2005 Bombardier Outlander max xt 400, i recently split the case to fix a oil leak. while in there i took out the oil pump and i cant find the torque specs for the oil pump to go back in, i tend to over tighten everything so im trying to go be the torque specs so i dont break anything.

Thank you in advance
    • By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

• By p5200
      Hello, what is the best method for installing bearings into their race? I've set one in place and tapped it down until it was metal on metal. Is that sufficient? Surely it's not supposed to go into the race until flush? Also. does the coil spring on the seal go into carrier bearing housing not facing out? Thanks! 🙂 Seal goes in until flush correct?
    • By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By dhallftworth
      Hi everyone, I received a 98 Yamaha Timberwolf from my brother for free, and I'm working on getting it going. 
      I am having the following problem: 
      The engine is backfiring through the carb. 
      I have done the following to try and get the four wheeler running: 
      Rebuilt the carb and set the air screw to 1-1/4 turn out and the circlip at middle position 3
      Replaced the coil, because the cable was loose at the coil end
      Repaired the main ground, coming from the battery
      Replaced the ignition switch, because my brother couldn't find the key. New switch tested good
      Tested the kill switch and it tested good
      New coil tested goodfor both primary and secondary coils
      Pickup coil resistance is at 195, which is correct
      My source coil, is where I believe the issue is. The resistance is 310ohms, and it should be between 428-523ohms
      When I opened the stator housing, there was significant oil, which I have read is normal. Does it sound like I'm on the right track replacing the source coil? Could this be causing my backfiring issue? It looks like the source coil is part of the stator assembly, is this correct? 4BD-85510-20-00 STATOR ASSY
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content