Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

marioweldinginc

2003 Honda 400EX Part throttle miss

Was riding in PA on Sunday and after I would go through puddles I would get an intermittent part throttle miss in 2nd or 3rd gear only or would bog down a little then clear itself up. I emptied the airbox about 5 times. I have a K&n filter with no foam prefilter and an outerwears airbox lid. Would this setup be the cause or more electrical? After a while of just driving around the miss would go away.

I drove my quad up and down the street today after a wash and there was no miss.

Any ideas as to what to look for?

Edited by marioweldinginc

I'm not to sure myself one thing I could think of is water getting in where your plug wire plugs on to your coil or spark plug. I feel it would mis in any gear not just 2nd or 3rd. If water was getting in your airbox & into your carb it would cause it to cutout as well. Their is a grease for electric connections you can put on all of you connections & it's for use where water may get too. You don't want water getting in your airbox Most airboxes have a drain in the bottom check yours and make sure it's not stopped up. If you had to empty it 5 ties how much water was getting in.

Edited by hangingon

Im not sure how much water was getting in but I pulled the drain 5 times to see if there was water in it and all 5 times water came out. It was pouring rain so i didnt want to take apart the quad on the trails.

The K&N filter goes almost all the way to the bottom of the box thats why I thought it was water going into the engine. I also thought because it was jetted for Long Island (about 20ft above sea level), that maybe the carb was off? No backfire or anything. Im not sure how high above sea level St. Clair PA is and would that make a difference?

I will put dielectric grease on every connector I can find then

I'm not to sure myself one thing I could think of is water getting in where your plug wire plugs on to your coil or spark plug. I feel it would mis in any gear not just 2nd or 3rd. If water was getting in your airbox & into your carb it would cause it to cutout as well. Their is a grease for electric connections you can put on all of you connections & it's for use where water may get too. You don't want water getting in your airbox Most airboxes have a drain in the bottom check yours and make sure it's not stopped up. If you had to empty it 5 ties how much water was getting in.

I`d say water is your problem !! I`m running K&N filters with outerwears and haven`t had a problem !! But I avoid huge water holes :laugh:

I think elevation would slow it down but not skip. The higher you get the harder to breath same with a motor so if you cut off some of the breathing it robs power from the motor.

I think elevation would slow it down but not skip. The higher you get the harder to breath same with a motor so if you cut off some of the breathing it robs power from the motor.

True but here I live at 5500` but most of my riding is at 8500` and above only thing I notice is loss of power:yes: I think his problem is water 400ex is not a water craft !!:laugh:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By mikeexplorer
      PA Residents, please take a moment to send an email supporting this to [email protected]
      https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41590987/proposed-changes-on-the-way-for-riding-atvs-on-state-forest-trails?fbclid=IwAR1EXkgtnRenBzFAKG5h1IOs7xDrNg6iedYSALckbjx2F5ZPjwdDFFij6Jc#.Xic-MeQ7aXY.facebook
      This week, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) plans to outline proposed policy changes for ATV trails on state forest lands.  They will also be seeking public comment.
      Pennsylvania has more than 260 miles of ATV trails in state forests. The department is reviewing its policy to respond to increasing demands for riding opportunities and well as interest from local governments in expanding tourism.
      “The purpose of the policy is to provide guidance to DCNR when acquiring, developing and managing lands for ATV use by the public,” Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn said.
      There had been a moratorium on new trail development, but the policy revisions now authorize DCNR to consider new ATV trails and connectors on state forest lands.
      “New ATV trails will be considered, while still balancing the protection of natural resources as outlined in the Environmental Rights Amendment to the Pennsylvania Constitution, and the needs of all types of recreational users on DCNR lands,” Dunn said.
      In a 2016 survey of ATV users, more than 4,800 responded with many indicating a strong desire for more long-distance trails. Pennsylvania has around 285,000 registered ATVs. On state forest lands, ATV riding is allowed only on designated trails.
      Public comment will be taken at a meeting in Harrisburg Wednesday, January 22, from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 105 of the Rachel Carson State Office Building. Written comments can be submitted to [email protected]
      The deadline to submit comments is March 27.
      More information about ATV riding is on the DCNR website.

• By dgk_mike
      It will go into neutral, 1st, 2nd, and reverse but nothing after 2nd gear. The shifter moves freely going up completely nothing but when you shift down it works. I’m not sure if it’s tranny issue worth messing with or if I should just buy a new one.  Overall besides that the thing runs like new.

• By Gordon cousins
      I have a 1991 Big Bear 4x4   Shifter on top. Any one know if a  1994 Big Bear 4x4 Shifter on motor can be swapped 
    • By Amazon Ads
      Where do you buy your ATV parts? Did you know that Amazon has ATV parts in stock for immediate delivery? You'll find all the best ATV parts and for great prices! Check out all the ATV parts available with free 2 day shipping now...
    • By George Henry
      I just watched this video I made ten years ago.  It made me laugh.  I was riding a 1985 Honda ATC 200X.  It's hard to film yourself so I had to position the camera to film me.  May flies out th wazoo, but I HAD to ride.  I hope you get a laugh.
      Here is the link: 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfAPe3NIg4
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Bob Hill
      I need a motor but i really dont hsve lots of cash and im on the kenai peninsula. Up here in Alaska i really need help
    • By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By afa913
      Am i better off to just replace the bearings or buy the whole carrier?
    • By afa913
      Anyone know a place i can find a used stock pipe for a 400ex?  I would love to find a take off