Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1989 suzuki lt-250 4wd

Dennisg

I recently rebuilt the top end of the motor and rebuild of the carb. It was smoking real bad and hard to start. Now it starts right up and shoots out white smoke and oil out of the tailpipe. It also idles fast with no adjustment on the idle screw . What can be my problem?

Thanks

dennisg

I had the piston replaced and the cylinder fitted to a new one and the head finished by a service shop and

I bought a carb rebuild kit from e-bay and cleaned it and put it all back together.

Vacum? Which hoses would that be?

Thanks Dennisg

check your boots on the carb:yes: check your head pipe connection to the head Check your carb again ! Blowing white smoke ? check your head gasket JMO

I have checked the head and the pipe and it is tight with no leaks. The carb boots , it seems that it does not make any difference weather the boot is connected or not, just runs fast at idle with no adjustment. I assume that you are talking about the boot that goes to the airbox.

Thanks

dennisg

I have checked the head and the pipe and it is tight with no leaks. The carb boots , it seems that it does not make any difference weather the boot is connected or not, just runs fast at idle with no adjustment. I assume that you are talking about the boot that goes to the airbox.

Thanks

dennisg

No I was thinkin the one that connecets the carb to the motor If you checked all that stuff then I would go back in to the carb The white smoke is puzzling to me !! Dou have any pics of the quad ?

It is a 4 stroke. It is like it is possessed or something. The carb screws should work and the overhaul should have stopped it from smoking. It is just the same as before all of the work.

People say that it needs and overhaul and the carb needs to be rebuilt, but both of those have been done. All of the hoses and boots are in good condition. It runs too fast and the engine spews out white smoke.

Thanks

Dennisg

It is air cooled. The rebuild was two months ago, that is how long I have been trying to get it running right. The rebuild was just the top end, with new piston and rings and head with the valves reground. Keep the questions coming maybe we can figure something out.

Thanks

Dennisg

Do you know if you put the rings on the piston in the right order.For the high idle Double check your throttle cable to see if their is an binding sometimes where it goes into the carb can be a little tricky. Does your throttle work smoothley. Even if your head is tight does not mean the gasket did not get damaged when you put it back togather Did you torque everything to specs and with a head you tighten head bolt alittle at a time lets say the specs say 25ft. pounds torque you would set your torque wrench at 10ft. pounds and tighten each head bolt in a cross pattern or x pattern and continue these steps till your at 25ft. pounds. Did you do it this away?

Edited by hangingon

• 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...