Quantcast

GT Engineering Students Need Your Input!

Hi all, my name is Ben, and I am on an Senior Undergraduate Engineering Design Team at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA. Our team is designing an automated device, operated by only one person, that loads an ATV into the bed of a pickup truck (instead of using a simple ramp).

We would appreciate your input to this problem by answering the questions below. We are trying to get a feel for the market for this type of product.

Please reply to this post with your answers to the questions below:

1. What kind of ATV do you own (make, model)?

2. How do you transport it currently (pickup, trailer, etc.)? How many people does this require to load it?

3. If you own a pickup truck, would you buy an automated device that safely loads your ATV into your truck?

4. If you do not have a pickup truck, hypothetically if you did have one, would you buy a device like this?

5. What is the maximum price you would pay for a device like this?

6. Can we contact you later about this project? If yes, please PM me with your e-mail address and name.

Thank you very much for your input! If you would like to contact our team, you can e-mail us at gogomoto.gt[at]gmail.com.

1. 2004 Honda TRX450R

2. Ether in a pickup truck or trailer, it takes 1 to load into the trailer and 2 into the truck because we dont have good ramps.

3. Maybe, if i had the money to spend on something like that but i dont have the money, so probably not

4. Same answer as above ^

5. $500

6. No

Would this device be mechanical (springs or tension rods) or electrical. Would you be able to remove it or is it bolted onto the truck?

We are still in the process of gathering data and clarifying the problem, so we don't have any specifics on how this device would work. But we do want to make it so there do not have to be any permanent modifications to the truck (therefore removable).

We are still in the process of gathering data and clarifying the problem, so we don't have any specifics on how this device would work. But we do want to make it so there do not have to be any permanent modifications to the truck (therefore removable).

But will this lift be removeable by one person ! and what weight will it be !!

But will this lift be removeable by one person ! and what weight will it be !!

Yes, the device would be able to be operated and assembled/disassembled by one person. Weight, not sure yet, that will be worked out in the later phases of design. Right now, we do not have any concepts in mind, we are just trying to get a feel for the market for a device like this.

Yes, the device would be able to be operated and assembled/disassembled by one person. Weight, not sure yet, that will be worked out in the later phases of design. Right now, we do not have any concepts in mind, we are just trying to get a feel for the market for a device like this.

Cool simalur to a wheelchair type device? But also I think cost will be a factor also ! JMO

Edited by quadnut20

02 kawasaki prairie 650 & 2000 e-ton 90

The 90 goes in the truck load it myself

the 650 goes on the trailer just drive it on myself

No! I would not want something thats going to add weight and take up space in my truck bed.

No

No more than a set of ramps they work good their lite weight and won't cost an arm & leg.

no

Here are some ideas.

My fifth wheel is removeable from the back of my truck, when removed it is almost flush with the bed and it can hold alot of capacity. Maybe you can use similar anchor points.

Some companies have a similar product that is similar to a roll back but they are heavy and costly. (I will try and post links later)

ATVs can weight over 1000lbs when fitted with gear. Dry weights are around 800lbs now.

If the device can not only lift the ATV but secure it against falling out and theft that would be a plus. Maybe it can even support the weight of the ATV on the tailgate.

Good luck with the project.

I milled some blocks with posts that mount in place of the bed hook mounts in my dads F250. He was having trouble getting in and out of the bed of his truck after his stroke. He pulls up to the ramp and lets his winch cable out and loops it around a piece of heavy walled exhaust tube I cut to length to fit. I drilled a hole on each side to slide over the posts then he lets the winch pull it into the truck.

I could very easily revers it so a small electric winch mounts in the truck bed and you pull the cable out to the quad.

1. What kind of ATV do you own (make, model)? Have 4. But 2004 Suzuki Eiger

2. How do you transport it currently (pickup, trailer, etc.)? How many people does this require to load it? Pick-up or tilt trailer. Just 1, myself.

3. If you own a pickup truck, would you buy an automated device that safely loads your ATV into your truck? Not even tempted.

4. If you do not have a pickup truck, hypothetically if you did have one, would you buy a device like this? Not a chance

5. What is the maximum price you would pay for a device like this? Zero, if I won it, I'd sell it.

6. Can we contact you later about this project? If yes, please PM me with your e-mail address and name. No, just not interested..good luck though!!!

• 2 months later...

i own 5 quads rite now ... it usually takes 1 or 2 to load them we use a tralor some times and load in the truck also ... my biggest quad weighs over 800 lbs and is a bear to load in the truck without ramps ... i have ramps and use them but have loaded with out them .. i think it would be a great item to have ... i also have snowmobiles and it would be a great item to have for thoes also ...