Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Ideas for Trailer Theft Prevention (yours)

I've seen a few good ideas around about how to HELP prevent a trailer from getting stolen

but when it comes to security, too much is never enough. I figured we could all benefit by learning from one another what measures are in place elsewhere so jump in any time to contribute your idea. Here are few I'm aware of

Tongue lock

Wheel locks

Take the wheels off

Chain it to something stationary

Motion lights

Video surveillance signs posted

Booby traps

GPS tracking device

• 1 month later...
i don't think it matters what safety net you have in place, deal is, if someone wants it bad enough they're going to get it. IMO... sad but true

but like you posted, tongue locks and wheel locks are fairly inexpensive measures...

very true, locks are made for honest people as a reminder not to touch. The A&$^les wil get it if they want it bad enough !

The key is to make it harder for someone to take your trailer than the one sitting right next to it.

I always weld my ball to the hitch so someone can not unbolt it. That along with a hitch pin lock and tongue lock I feel pretty comfortable. Plus with the trailer being so heavy it would be too hard to maneuver it onto another vechile.

Not there have been alot of cases of the theifs stealing the truck and trailer.

Another tip for inclosed trailers is no ATV stickers on the outside.

• 5 months later...

I got insurance! LOL!! I like to use hitch pin lock and tongue lock that Swamcat suggested, but all locks are for is to slow the thief down. LOL!! Heck they made us padlock our duffles when we flew over to Bosnia to pull some presence patrols for a few months. LOL!! A gps tracking device would probably be the only good way to get your trailer back after it was stolen, but I wonder if something like a taser could could malfunction it. I dont believe theres any full proof way securing your trailer from a thief, other than doing something illegal. LOL!!

12 volts wouldn't shock anything. Unless you have that battery wired to something like an electric fence unit to boost the voltage up (and lower the current so it isn't lethal)

Mike

i suppose too you could rig up a 12 volt battery to the latch on the trailer, have a safety switch hidden for you, but when the latch is opened, it could make contact with the battery and send someone into a funky chicken dance.... don't think its legal, but, but theft isn't legal either...

I doubt most of you guys have electric trailer brakes on your trailers but when I did the trailer wiring mods for a construction company, we reverse wired the electric brakes differently than what the instructions said. Only the construction trucks we wired like the trailers. What would happen if a regular truck tried to hook up to the 7 pin connector, the trailer brakes would automatically be applied. This wasnt foolproof but it did help a few times. There were alot of drag marks in the parking lot but they never made it out the gate.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...
I doubt most of you guys have electric trailer brakes on your trailers but when I did the trailer wiring mods for a construction company, we reverse wired the electric brakes differently than what the instructions said. Only the construction trucks we wired like the trailers. What would happen if a regular truck tried to hook up to the 7 pin connector, the trailer brakes would automatically be applied. This wasnt foolproof but it did help a few times. There were alot of drag marks in the parking lot but they never made it out the gate.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

That is pretty slick, sounds like it left a couple people frustrated.:laugh:

• 2 years later...
i suppose too you could rig up a 12 volt battery to the latch on the trailer, have a safety switch hidden for you, but when the latch is opened, it could make contact with the battery and send someone into a funky chicken dance.... don't think its legal, but, but theft isn't legal either...

That's a really good idea IMO because they will be like what else has been rigged up on this trailer and maybe go find another

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...