Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

lanow

Suzuki King Quad 300 Running Problems

Those quads use a fuel pump in most models and can often fail. They can leak fuel and run really rich or do almost nothing and run dry - not always easy to notice the diff.

First thing to do though is change the sparkplug if you haven't already - it's a cheap fix for lots of quads!

I have a 96 300 King Quad and it starts and idles just fine but once you hit about 15 miles an hour or so that's as fast as it'll go no matter how hard you push the throttle I don't know where to start I was thinking clean the carburetor but I'm not sure anybody have any ideas where I should start.

16 hours ago, Michelle Hodges said:

I have a 96 300 King Quad and it starts and idles just fine but once you hit about 15 miles an hour or so that's as fast as it'll go no matter how hard you push the throttle I don't know where to start I was thinking clean the carburetor but I'm not sure anybody have any ideas where I should start.

Turn on the headlights and see if that helps.  If it does, it means the regulator is not regulating the voltage down and the CDI is not working when the voltage spikes as the rpms go up.  Regulators are notoriously bad on these machines, so don't replace with another stock one or it will happen again.  Contact Rick's Motorsport Electronics https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ and ask for the biggest they sell.  It doesn't cost that much and will handle 50 amps.

If it's not the regulator, try swapping the spark plug.  It's not likely to be the problem, but I once torn down a carb only to discover the spark plug was the issue.  That sucked.

Since you said it idles fine and the pilot jets are the smallest, then I'm assuming the carb is clean enough, therefore it seems more like not enough fuel is reaching the carb, so I'd want to know the condition of the fuel pump and the vacuum lines.  That is another problem common to these machines.

That's all I can imagine that would produce those symptoms.  Maybe a clogged baffle in the muffler?

On 11/22/2011 at 3:10 AM, lanow said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and hope that someone out there can help me, I have an early Suzuki King Quad 300 (280cc) which starts intstantly every time but at about half revs or there abouts it starts spluttering and will not rev any higher, this fault is present whether choke is applied or not, some one suggested that silencer maybe be clogged so removed baffle but no improvement have removed carb and stripped 3 times but still no joy.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers Rob

Could be over chraging mine was doing that i put a new rectifier runs good

• Like 1

It couldn't hurt to pull the air filter and see if anything changes - take it for a short ride and report back.

Hi everyone I have a 1993 Suzuki King quad 300 and I have a old battery in it and I just pull start it I noticed today that it sputter and back fired till I turned the key all the way over to the light does anyone know if I should get a new battery

20 minutes ago, Chris Meredith said:

Hi everyone I have a 1993 Suzuki King quad 300 and I have a old battery in it and I just pull start it I noticed today that it sputter and back fired till I turned the key all the way over to the light does anyone know if I should get a new battery

You need a new regulator.  It's a common problem on those machines.  I wouldn't buy another one just like the old one because it will fail too.  I called these guys https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ and bought the biggest they had.  I think it's for a Triumph motorcycle.  It can handle 50 amps.

What's happening is once the voltage gets to 17-18 volts, the CDI stops working correctly which causes the sputtering.  Turning the lights on reduces the voltage to allow the CDI to work right... until you rev it up higher then the problem comes back, so you'll need more lights to reduce it more or a new regulator.

The regulator is on the front of the machine.  I cut the plastic to access it.  When you get it off you'll probably find the back of it is cracked.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By wwdubose
      I have two 2003 Suzuki Ozark 250s, both 2-wheel drive.  Last time we rode them about a year ago, the red one was not running well, didn't want to idle, backfired a lot.  The green one ran fine. 
      Fast forward...I ordered a carb kit for both of them, thinking the red one has some trash in a jet.  Both of these ATVs have had little use and I've always ran the gas out after use (put an inline cutoff valve in gas line).  I pull started the red one to verify it was still running bad.  It will start and idle, but as soon as you give it any throttle, it dies instantly.  Give it a little choke, dies instantly.  Took the carb apart and it was spotless.  Went ahead and cleaned all the holes with carb cleaner and blew everything out with compressed air.  All new jets, main jet holder, and needles.  Put it back on and nothing changed.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on.  It does the same thing when I try to run it turned to prime on the petcock as it does in the on position.
      Not an air filter issue.  It is clean and it does the same exact thing with no filter on it.
      Thought maybe there was a float issue or maybe a damaged diaphragm, so I took the carb off the green Ozark and put it on red.  Started up and initially ran normal and revved for about 10 seconds and then started doing the same exact thing.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on. 
      So...not the carb
      Thought maybe vacuum petcock was bad, but there's no gas in the vacuum line going from petcock to carb and gas flows freely when on prime.  I even plugged the vacuum line at both the petcock and carb end and tried to run it with valve set to prime.  Gas flows freely, but does exactly the same thing.  I unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the bowl and gas flows thru carb and out bowl drain line when petcock is set to prime.
      So, I'm assuming petcock is good?
      Checked spark plug and it wasn't fouled.  Reset gap, didn't help.  Will swap plugs between Ozarks tomorrow but I don't think that is it.
      Anyway, that he history and now you're all caught up.  Scratching my head.  Valves? These were bought at same time and have had little use.  Suggestions?
      Thanks!   
    • By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Belmontie
      Hi bought a 2012 kingquad ASI last year a great machine which is a delight to ride, but I find sometimes it doesn’t go into top gear just revs high at about 42mph. Any idea ???

• By pablo Blake
      Its in pretty rough shape and its gonna be my first atv, I worked on bikes before but nothing to do with quads. Anyways the quad has some problems and im tryna figure out what to focus on first. So the U joints i think are shot. The bike starts first try every time ussually have to give it a lil gas with the throttle and revs right up, idles fine but its running REALLY rich 3 starts and my brand new plug was pitch black

Bike is L model

video-1577465068.mp4

Its using the original mikuni carb but im not the best at fixing the carbs and wondering if there is anywhere online that would be able to either walk me through it or help me with it i didnt see a air mixture screw so it seems like im gonna half to open it up and adjust like the float and a couple other things
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By katasha2
      I took apart the carburator to clean out and I can't remember exactly where the springs that are inside the float are supposed to go I've tried to look up schematics but I think I am missing a spring maybe need helpt:confused::confused:
    • By skgw1
      Feul pump went out. Replaced. At times quad cuts out like its not getting gas. Saw article on new pump needs to be calibrated. Told how to go into a service mode. Does not tell how to calibrate after going into mode. Can anyone shed light on this procedure.
    • By Bwdeaton
      I recently picked up a king quad 700 that doesn't run in the hopes of getting it running by spring. It had been previously taken apart some and a few pieces are missing in the engine, but the frame is complete and in good condition. The motor will need a piston, rings, cylinder, cams, and a few misc parts that are missing. Also the cases will need to be split to remove the pieces of piston that are in the crankcase. The piston blew up at high rpm and did a number on the cylinder so I'm trying to find out if it would be worth rebuilding this motor it buying another engine to swap in. There may be more damage to this engine that I can see so I was wondering how bad the insides of it could be considering it destroyed the piston. I have found a motor for 1200 plus 200 shipping, the only problem is I don't have that much now and I would have to save up a while before being able to afford it. Any suggestions appreciated.
    • By superdude811
      Can you put tracks on manual atvs? would it be effective? is 280cc enough to even move them? thoughts/suggestions?