Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jjlangford74

Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Fuel Problems

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 (Green w/Manual Trans), and it started having problems cranking......and I noticed that my crank case was full of fuel.....I took carb off and cleaned....ran a while, and still have fuel going to the crank case......any other ideas of what I might try to fix this issue?

If You already checked the float. I would make sure the overflow drain on the carb is not blocked. Also clean your air filter, with a blocked filter you can be running rich.

Are you changing the oil? I used some cheap wet clutch safe oil and changed it after every ride while I was trouble shooting. In my case it ended up being a dirty carb.

The other causes could be a suction from the intake created by trailering the quad lifting the float in transport but if you have a fuel pump that will only allow a small amount of gas into the cylinder.

Also be careful not to hydrolock the piston if the excess gas compresses above the piston. If its hard to cranks just pull the plug and blow everything out by turning it over.

I have taken the carb off twice and completely disassembled/cleaned and put back together, and it is still doing the same thing. Is it possible that my rings or valves (or both) are bad? Its a little hard to crank at first, but runs like a champ.....just scared to run it with all that fuel in the crank case.......thinking I may end up just taking the complete top end off and replacing rings and valves.....just didnt want to if it isnt needed.

I would do a compression test first.

Another trick is to change the oil and note exactly how much oil you added, then drain the oil into a sealable see thru container and watch the gas float on top of the oil. This way you can measure how much gas is getting by. I did this every time I changed something. When there was no gas seperated on the top I knew I had the problem solved.

Does smoke come from the exhaust when it runs?

I agree it isn't good to leave gas in the oil. I would change it with some cheap stuff until you find the root of the problem. Because gas seperates from the oil I changed my oil a few times and monitored it. I also let the machine warm up and mix the oil with the gas before I drained it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Buell
      Hey guys, figure you guys would have some helpful direction or answers.
      So, 05 Sportsman 700 carb, new carb, fuel pump, new plugs, new air filter, new everything I can think of that is usually the running issues. Starts up fine, seems to run fine, but if under load, two people, or even one person, up a hill, or pulling a drag chain for the driveway, it starts to cut out and sputters and loses all power, until I back off on the throttle and just barely try to let itself catch itself and then I can take off again.
      I am going crazy trying to figure this thing out. Other than that, the quad runs great. Parents bought bran new, just used around the property, 5000 miles on it. Any ideas???
    • By matthew smith
      I have a honda recon 250 that i just bought. the compression is around 90 needs to be rebuilt. im getting into rebuilding it took apart the top end no problem except for the cylinder walls. as shown in the pictures. the way the piston sits in the cylinder is if you were sitting on the wheeler the skirt on the piston is left to right. so the wrist pin is front to back. which is where the two marks are in the cylinder. so that means the connecting rod is making the piston slap the cylinder on the wrist pin side which seems like a weird way for the cylinder to be moving. not natural. now the connecting rod has slight play left to right but not up and down. ive talked to a few people they say it might be the roller bearings in the connecting rod where it meets the crankshaft. but the play it has is not that much. im just looking for some more input before i start splitting the case. 

• By StolenATV
      Got out of very abusive relationship and when I left our shared home he kept all of my personal items and sold everything I owned including my Arctic Cat 4×4 4 Wheeler off our property. Was told by Judge at each of our protection from abuse hearings that I was allowed to get my things but he had already sold or destroyed all of my stuff. Police were contacted several times but nothing has ever been done about any of it. He had his things and I had my own things. This 4×4 ATV I got from a friend that I sold my personal 2007 Suzuki GSXR to as part of payment for my bike along with signed bill of sale with VIN. Unfortunately my friend I had got it from back in 2017 was involved in a motorcycle accident and passed away, so my 4 wheeler had some sentimental value to it. I have heard it was sold to someone in our area so please keep your eyes out for it.
      The post Arctic Cat 4×4 ATV Stolen and sold appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
    • By Justice Owens
      Hey guys, any ideas would be greatly appreciated on this. 
      So it started a few months ago, riding with some buddies and my 400ex all of a sudden lost power. Wouldn't fire, wouldn't sputter. Towed it home, and then it fired right up. It continued this pattern for a week or two, ran perfectly for varying amounts of time, suddenly died, and would start right back up if I waited 20 mins or so.
      Now we get to the next phase... I was dinking with it one day, I think I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out, (not really dirty but just to be sure) and I was trying different fuel screw adjustments. At any rate, I didn't notice much change, except obviously running a little poorer when I had the fuel screw in the wrong place. I took it on a quick ride around the block, and it was just fine. Ran awesome, had lots of power, etc. Then went around the block again and it died on me this time right as I revved it. Ever since then I haven't been able to get it to start. 
      Now when I turn it over, it sputters, fires a touch, but won't start. Ever. I replaced the plug, CDI, and coil, with no change. I do know that it has spark, but I don't know for certain that its big enough. After replacing these with no change I popped the carb off and tried firing it up spraying some either right into the intake. Upon doing so, it revved right up, but obviously there was no carb so it didn't stay running for long. While spraying the ether it seemed to run just like other engines I've tried spraying ether into no popping or backfiring etc. When it fired right up on the ether, I figured I must have a carb issue, so I just bought a whole new carb instead of taking the old one apart for the 800th time. When I put it in, there was no change whatsoever. Still turns over and sputters, but won't fire up.
      I am completely befused, and any input would be graciously accepted. If you read through all that your a trooper, so thanks very much :) 
  • Similar Tagged Content