Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Redracer

How far do you go for maintainance?

Today I started some basic maintainance on my AC... This is where I ended up before the cold and dark got to me...

Oil changed, and I started digging for access to replace the air filter box.

How far do you go for your seasonal maintainance?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327289280.525033.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327289280.525033.jpg.9e771dba86f4e3800fff42d9aa1babf9.jpg

oil change/ filter, clean airbox and filter, rear end fluid, tire pressures. Grease obvious joints and plow mounts. Other than that my machine seems to be a happy camper. ( Now that I said that something will break.)

The plastics get pulled and the bikes are gone thru every year. Most times I have a project in mind anyways like different clutching or performance mods. I always change my oil in the spring even if I do the overhaul before the winter.

Edited by swampcat07

and I started digging for access to replace the air filter box.

Why are you replacing the air box? Are you going with the new setup?

Edited by swampcat07

Why are you replacing the air box? Are you going with the new setup?

No.. Back when I rolled it years ago the box broke off the crankcase breather hose fitting. I had glued it back on and kept the original box. I noticed a bit ago that it had broken free again so I just ordered a new box and filter to replace it.

I'm keeping the quad stock. It works really well as is. It even still has the stock front air intake setup. Perhaps I'll consider a snorkel setup next year if I find it necessary.

I change oil every 3 rides !! air filters after every ride !!:yes:check valves every 2 months !! or so depending on the type of riding I do !!!

Oil change after every third ride or about 10-12 hours. Air filter gets cleaned and reoiled with the oil change. After a wash i remove plastics for a quick check of nuts amd bolts etc. Tire pressure, chain tension, and axle nut gets checked before every ride. Brake and clutch play are noted during a ride and adjusted accordingly

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

^ That gets a little pricey after a while though no? How many hours do you ride for at a time?

It depends !! we ride sand dunes and trails Not to pricey I get Rotella and Wall Mart for $15 a gallon :yes:Its 4.5 oil changes for me !!:yes:

Edited by quadnut20

for maintenance, I go to my garage. I have been working on ATVs since I was a kid, with my father. Now I own/operate SRP Machine in South Mills, NC. I have clients who drive all the way down from NY to have me rebuild their engines, and have had motors shipped from Canada for porting. For quality maintenance, there is no distance too great. The key is to find an honest, experienced technician. If anybody is looking for one, please visit me at MX Performance Parts | SRP Machine | Call 252-771-0019.

I just make sure the air filter is good, tire pressures, keep it greased, chain is good. Not much to do with the Trailblazer, it is pretty easy to take care of.

Can I ask the reason behind changing the oil so often? A car goes thousands of miles before a change, A garden tractor goes about 20 hours or every season for changes?

I know with my Honda 400ex the engine oil also is used for the transmission and clutches. I now run a 500cc motor with almost twice the power. Heat, since its air cooled breaks down oil much quicker. I dont send my oil out for analysis so its hard to tell when I should change it. My rule of thumb is after the third ride. Plus my bike sometimes sits a month or so between rides which isnt good either.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2