Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

What Does A Linhai Owner Think?

Once in a while i will see a Linhai four wheeler somewhere in my town. Though ive never that many of them from what i have seen they look decent, and seem reliable.

I am wanting to find something cheap, reliable and that i can easily repair if anything ever goes wrong. See my plan is to have my Polaris just for hauling firewood, and something much cheaper, older (and paid for) to use on roughest and most difficult of trails.

Is there anyone who owns a Linhai or other oddball brand who can tell me what their experience is? While it is not a requirement, i would so love it if my "old beater" was something not commonly seen or even heard of.

i don't slam any make of bike, but i think these chinese knock-offs are plain junk. i know alot of guys that own them and they have been in the shop longer than in their garages. one in particular has 100km's on it and was in the shop more than out until his warranty expired. now he is stuck with a bike that still is not right, just a big boat anchor. most of these bikes will work fine until the warranty period is up, then all hell breaks loose. for a small few, you might get lucky and just have to change the oil.

so as far as cheap, yes they are inexpensive machines.

reliability, no, i don't think they are.

fixing, yes on a weekly basis and parts are not usually stocked in North America, and can be expensive and a long wait.

if i were you, i would hold tight on buying a chinese brand, and look for a good used name brand machine. do a little research on the bikes for sale, the internet is full of info on brp, honda, kawasaki, polaris, suzuki and yamahas.

JMO ...

I agree, get an older air cooled 300cc or above name brand (Honda, Kawasaki yes even a Yamaha!!) and have it run for another 10 years or till you can afford a nicer trail machine. Cant get more reliable than air cooled. Plus alot more simple fixes on the trail.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

X2 ^^ you should look at something else !:yes:

OK unlike the higher up posts I actually own some Linhais. I am from Canada, so a bit different up here. I have some crappy Chinese quads and would agree to stay away from them (A Tao Tao and a Gio) - but I hope you see that there is high quality Chinese from factories that make machines for the big brands, then everything else.

It is true that Linhai has a JV with Yamaha, and it is also true that they are a HUGE motor company that has been making machines for a LONG time. Their quads are very very solid. I just had a Honda mechanic and sales rep look at my Linhai 300SE and he was very impressed and brought a friend today to come check them out.

Disclaimer: Though not an employee, I am doing some work for the company that distributes Linhai in Canada. I have no vested interest in Linhai USA but like the machines. I got into Linhai after being referred to them by a guy in Nova Scotia who RAVED about them to me - he uses them in his logging operation, his uncle uses one to hunt, his neighbour traded in his arctic cat for one, and his aunt has a SxS - so they are getting out there.

Also: They make utility quads not racing quads. They are a factory brand (not a rebadged machine like so many other Chinese) They also are relatively simple - no heated seats etc. If you can, compare the 300 to the 400 and then again to the EFI 550/600. Here in Canada they've made improvements over the years, for example adding water proof electrical connectors, adding mud pro tires, and so on so if you buy one used newer is better.

My 2c. You can see some videos of them in action here (scroll down the feed for lots of LInhai visionarymotorsports's Channel - YouTube)

Hope that helps, this is info from Canada. Like I said it is different here - were hard on machines (rolled the 300SE today), and the brand name used prices are very high here in the north, and they are often pretty beat up. Here its better to buy a new Linhai than a beat up over-priced polaris for example. Feel free to contact me with Qs.

well, i don't like throwing money away, i'll stay with a name brand in canada, north america or abroad. there is a huge difference between japanese quality and chinese. but that's me, and like i said before, i know guys that have bought chinese knock offs and wished they could go back in time and do it all over again.

maybe the Linhai are a better machine than the rest of the chinese knock offs. i can't say either way so i apologize to NorthernDad for grouping them into that same category. it is a very tough market to break into and survive.

i wish you great experiences with your bikes !!

keep us posted ....

I think time will tell, look at Kymco. The thing you have to keep in mind is that just because some of these companies make parts for the big name brands that doesn't mean the QA/QC are held to the same standards when selling it under their own brand name.

Polaris and Arctic Cat were off brand names for the longest time and still some people view them as inferior. The truth be told everyone has their favorites and I have seen bran new Arctic Cats with 2 miles on them fail and others last a lifetime with no major problems. You need to pick the ATV you are happy with. It comes down to two items in my mind initial build/parts quality and owner maintenance.

I agree with OB definately come back and post your reviews if you buy one.

Thanks for the welcome!

Wether someone chooses to buy a used big name or a Linhai is more personal comfort zone and taste. You can, as pointed out, buy a used Japanese unit for around the same price as a new Linhai (lets say $5,000 here in northern BC). My Honda friend sticks with Japanese because that is what he knows - he spends lots of time fixing and working on them, but loves it and that is what he is comfortable with.

For me, getting started, I am happy with the Linhais because they are well built and reliable and affordable. I don't have time invested in any brand previous to this. The only "problem" Ive had with them are the batteries - and that was my main feedback is they need to all ship with SLA or gel batteries out of the box. My units, one came with a gel (no problems) and the other came with the LA battery that wasn't so good.

I think it has been pointed out that at one time Japanese units were "crap," Polaris was "low end," and Hyundai and Kia were "junk." I see the Chinese growth following a similar curve. There will be only a few out of the 100s of factories making ATVs that last and do well long term.

I like that Linhai has kept it simple and made gradual improvements rather than rushing out the next mass market poorly constructed machine. They aren't "knock offs" or clones - they look similar to Polaris, but have their own engines, frames, etc. I talked to one of the guys who toured their main factory and apparently they have 9 R&D departments and their own big dirt testing track out back, so they are for real. He also showed me pix of the knock-off factories, with no R&D and no testing. So it seems Linhai is for real, in it for the long run.

I wish they'd put more effort into their dealers and marketing in the USA, it probably hurts them to do direct sales and have individuals do their own PDI and maintenance. Low prices though.

I should correct myself and say I DO have a lot of time invested in 2 very crappy chinese quads, that now sit in the yard. They have a 1:1 ratio - 1 hr of riding to 1 hr of maintenance! I knew what I was getting into partly, as like the original poster Ive been wanting to get into mechanics and it seemed like a good place to start. I HAVE earned a lot but when I just want to ride I hop on one of my Linhais. Im probably just going to fix up the crappy ones one more time and sell them off for super cheap.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I had to create an account to post.

It drives me nuts when I see posts from people with no experience that bash things simply because of where they are made. Dont get me wrong, there is a lot of crap coming from China. There is also a lot of quality products now.

In any case, I own a Linhai SxS and love it. If you get a chance, I encourage you to look at them very closely. Take the seats off, open the hood, tip the dump box up. I guarantee you will be impressed. The attention to detail and quality is top notch.

Although the unit is very basic and designed for utility, its no slouch in the features department. It comes with nice mud tires (aluminium rims), has shift on the fly 4X4 and adjustable suspension. It also has a pre-drilled mounting plate for a winch (which hides the winch under the hood). I can personally attest to the fun factor. I have driven it hard on occasion and it has easily held its own against the bigger brand names. Not to mention everyone who has seen it or rode in it has been very impressed.

Unfortunately I dont own a Linhai quad so I cant comment on their quality. If its like the SxS then I wouldnt hesitate.

P.S. The phrase "You get what you pay for!" was coined by the same people that coined "A sucker is born every minute!"

Here is the key deciding factor and I may have said it already. I do this every time I buy an ATV. On speakerphone with the dealer in the room call the customer service number with a made up problem and see how you are treated. Then call and try to order an easy part such as a bearing or starter. If you can't get parts that separates the cheap Chinese stuff from the quality ones. See how soon you can get the part and how you are treated. The brand does not mean anything if the service is not there.

OH BTW Travellerw welcome to quad crazy! And thanks for your input.

swampcat.. I agree with you about lots of the other Chinese brands. Getting parts can be next to impossible.

So far it has not been a problem with my Linhai.. I wanted a wind shield and found 4 dealers within 30 min that had stock. I also needed a belt (importer put wrong belt on during PDI). Found the proper belt in a small town (2500 people) near where I camp.

Linhai is truley in a different league than the other Chinese brands (at least the UTV)..

This is how people felt about kymco a few years ago. Now they are flooding the market. Like I said, I am a happy camper if I can get decent customer service and parts when needed. My Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and Can-Am all need repairs from time to time. Everyone will have their favorites but all that matters is what you like to ride.

• 1 month later...

Alright I wanted to post back as Ive had some time with my Linhai.

Well after 2 months of abusing... I have only had to change one part... I got the unit stuck in the mud and in an effort to free it, I literally melted the clutch. Other than that, I havent had to do a damn thing to it. I put gas in, hop on and drive the hell out of it. Not only does it impress me, but everyone I have let drive it has been impressed.

On the clutch front.. I contacted Visionary up here in Canada and they recommended I put a Dr. Pulley clutch in. Apparently Linhai is now using Dr. Pulley clutches in all their new machines. A great example of the company recognizing a weak spot and making improvements.

Currently Im waiting on my Dr. Pulley clutch to arrive. Once it arrives I will post back as its supposed to noticeably improve performance. We will see.

I have looked at a Linhai before it did look like a well built quad but I had never heard of them. The guy who we talked to said it would last and hold up as good as any Honda at a cheaper cost. He was the shop owner & he owned a Linhai quad himself. He also had the cheaper chinese quads and stated they were buit cheap. Like swampcat said look at Kymco now & Cf Moto is getting good reviews. If i'm right E-Ton is chinese & thats what my daughter has it's a 2000 Thunder 90 2 stroke and we have not had to buy nothing more than a spark plug. So not all chinese quads are created equal you can see the build quality of the E-Ton over the Tao Tao & other cheap chinese quads Our neighbor bought a falcon 110 it was junk and kymco 50 and it's still running and has for years. I would be concerned about replacement parts with the Linhai If the shop closed their doors where I looked at the Linhai I couldn't tell you of another dealer in Ga. The Linhai was around 4 to 5,000 to me thats not cheap & I would rather buy a used name brand quad due to the fact we have plenty of shops around to service them or order parts from. Kia & Hyundai has closed the gap in the auto market and are passing by the big name auto makers thats been around for years. I'm sure China can build a good quad to compete it may not be a Linhai but only time will tell. Kymco is knocking at the door now!

Funny how things are different between US and Canada.. Up here, I would pick the Linhai over the Kymco any day. Linhai is cheaper and the parts are readily available. Kymco is overpriced (only 10 percent off big brands) and parts can be hard(er) to find. I just seen a brand new Kymco 500 SxS listed for 11 grand.. Damn I can get an Arctic Cat for that kind of money.

I'm not sure even where to buy a Kymco here. Since kymco is getting some good reviews in the dirt wheels magazine their making some headway as a chinese atv co. And yes the prices are going up. Linhai is just a name I never heard of till we were looking for a quad for my daughter. Just like kymco it was around for awhile matter of fact where we seen the Linhai the dealer could order a Kymco but he said they cost as much as the big brand names and are not worth him having them in his shop because they where not big sellers. I was not saying Kymco is better than Linhai just more know of. A pawn shop close by got into the power sports sells and they were selling the Kymcos. If Linhai starts getting in print adds in the atv magazines and more atv dealers stock and sell them their price will go up. It's crazy what a magazine add or review of a product can do. I had never heard about e-ton but it seems more people up north and Canada have. With all the cheap chinese quads out there it's hurt the market for the better built chinese quads. The E-Tons are the same as polaris & we have polaris dealers close by. Like I said before when you know of just 1 place selling a brand I feel it's better to not buy. I'm into RC planes & helicopters now I have to order all my parts off the internet & if I needed help from a human face to face I'm out of luck the hobby shops around me have closed up.

i found, that alot of the bikes were being built by the 'big 3' but, as an example, they are surely built in the same 'big 3' plant, but they aren't the same. 95% of the parts are the same, but the other 5% is usually the wiring and a few different quirks to the motor.

a buddy, bought an astro, superb knockoff of a rhino. has had tremendous electrical problems, bike sat waiting to be warrantied as it ran out of warranty. anyway, after a few times when it would turn the starter, the starter died. went and got a yamaha starter. perfect match! lotsa cash too (lol), spun the wrong way to engage. as i found out, a yamaha, honda, suzuki, etc. engine can run 2 ways. this means yamaha,honda,suzuki, etc. can use the engine rotating one way, for their machines, and if they sell the engine and it works spinning the opposite way, it's not the same and can be used in different venues so to speak. this is how the chinese are capitalizing on this and how easy it is to make the knockoff.

just blabbing out loud ...

• 1 year later...

i just bought a 2013 linhai 400 bighorn 4x4 irs ok well first ive been a mechanic allmylife so far ive seen good and bad in this machine ok the front driveshaft wasnt welded correct and out of line theyve sent me 2 so far and niether is true and they whoble not precision jiged or machined ive only had it almost 3 monthes and only put 35 miles on it so far it starts and runs but has pwer like a 300 instead of a 400 warranty almost up hmm but other than odds and ends and flawes only the exsperieced would notice u get what u pay for i think linhai would b a lot better in the future once they relize they need to sharpen up on the obvious flaws ok and parts availability and any info on shop manual doesnt exist so if anyone has any info on parts or a manual for the 400 4x4 irs 2013 model would b much appreciated thanks

Hello everyone. I have the Linhai 400 UTV and I am having clutch problems. I have to shut the engine off in order to change gears. Do I need to replace the clutch? If so, anything on the web to help?

Also, does your Linhai UTV have a loud "whine" when you are traveling in it? We bought this new in December 2012 and has done this since day 1.

I am also in GA (middle GA), what dealership do you use?

Thanks in advance for any help!