Quantcast

1990 Yamaha Big Bear 350 - Oil Change/Diff Change

steelcity

Hello all looking to do some first time maintenance on my 1990 big bear 350 4x4 just bought it 2 weeks ago: The oil change seems pretty straight forward with only 1 drain plug and oil filter but the other diif drain and fill seem a little confusing , the front diff drain and fill seems straight forward but then is there 2 more in the rear ? 1 in the rear and 1 in the middle ? Thanks for the help in advance.

Also it mentions in the service manual about once you change oil and start it up to loosen some oil plug up top on the side of the engine to see if oil is coming out it sounds like some oil bleed valve ? Does anyone do this ?

What has me confused is on page 2-29 they make mention of 3 drain plugs 1 final gear case 2 front diff case 3 rear diff case , The front and rear are easy to figure out but the final gear case has me scratching ? Just wondering if anyone has experience with this ? I guess all 3 have filler holes which I just fill up to the threads ?

• 2 weeks later...

To help other members in the future here is what I did : drain and filled front and rear differential with gear oil (I used bel-ray 80w-90 hypoid gear oil) and then I did an oil change using yamalube 10w-40 now this is where I got confused : there is the motor oil change with filter ~ 3 quarts and then there is the transfer gear oil drain and fill which also uses yamalube 10w-40 ~ less than a 1/2 qt . Hope this helps .

Edited by steelcity
what else spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn. 
    • By Drillbit
      Hi all, from Virginia here. This winter I bought a old Atv to tinker with and have really enjoyed it. Thanks for this forum.