Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

desireevickie

1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 - Carb/Air Issue

Bought a new carberator for my 1999 Sportsman 500. Very excited when it finally started running right & then I put on the air box . . . dogs and can't use more than 1/2 throttle. I've torn it apart, rechecked timing, rechecked valve clearances, checked screw positioning in carb as well as several other little things (like spark plug, etc). This is very frustrating as everything is as it should be. Runs awesome without the air box! But as soon as it's put back on . . . it's back to junk! Very frustrating. Anyone with a suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

i think you will have to adjust the air screw, # 15 to increase the air. # 33 is usually turned out 1 1/2 turns ....

if you still have problems, message CHERIAH :yes:

she is the Carb Queen of Quad Crazy

carb.JPG

carb.JPG.a668675611a1de8791713c4d966758c3.JPG

There's only one screw on carberator and it's turned out 2 5/8 just like the manual calls for. Like I said, runs like a champ until you put the airbox on. Airbox has brand new filter & for the heck of it, I checked the exhaust too, to make sure air was flowing good. No problems there. At wits end here. New carb wasn't cheap but the time involved in this is a whole 'nother story. I've also put a new cam in, bored out and new piston and rings. I knew the carberator was a problem, as it was leaking and refused to come completely apart for cleaning/repair. So, I bought a new one hoping this would solve my final problem. Alas, still frustrated . . .

I leaned out the needle jet or jet needle (it’s gotta be your bull)one notch. item number 6 move item number 5 up one notch. Add spark, get the medicine just right and call me in the morning

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Bruce Madsen
      My 1999 Artic Cat 500 ATV has started bogging down and backfires shortly after starting.  Any suggestion for a remedy?
    • By marcus23934
      I just bought a 99 sportsman 335. did some work to it got it running good my question is when I put a battery in it the atv starts and idles great once I give it gas it just spits and cuts out and will not ever clear up  thing is if I take the battery terminal off while its running it runs fine and no problem at all  could anyone help me out with what the deal is 
    • By Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones
      All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.
      Throttle safety switch 
      Cam and rockers
      ECM
      Carborator
      Stator
      Fuel safety switch 
      Battery
      Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.
    • By bradleyheathhays
      I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought.  Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only.  The defrost or a/c function was not selected.  It seems to be doing it consistently.  I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats.  Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected?  What tests should I run?

• By Barry Troxtell
      I have a 2005 Sportsman 500, Instrument cluster will not illuminate, hi/lo beams work though.  Any tips or troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?
    • By petersty07
      Thanks to trent at trent signs and graphics for the awesome wrap!!
      [ame]
      [/ame]
    • By petersty07
      Thanks Trent at Trent Signs and Graphics for the awesome wrap!.
      [ame]
      [/ame]
    • By warkcol
      I am having an issue where it sounds like the gears are slipping if I hit the throttle really hard and also after letting off when the engine brake is applied. Also, the drive train that goes to the front also rides again the gear shift box. I will attach pictures and a video here shortly.
      Thanks in advance!
      [ame]
      [/ame]https://postimg.org/image/cdlu6fza9/
    • By bodatiouskid
      Have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 that only has 34mi. on a carb & ring job.
      Cut the gas off today to drain carb.Now engine will not idle.If I open throttle will run,but let off & will cut off.Can screw idle in with no change.
      What happened? Why did this happen when fuel ran out?
      Please help me,my ATV is a daily driver.
      Please help!!