Quantcast

How do I pop a wheelie??

i'm not gonna lie...im a little scared. the only wheelie i have ever done was holding on for dear life to someone else when they unexpectedly decided to have some fun.

now, i do have a chest protector, but after having used it to its fullest potential in the past, i prefer to wear it for its great looks & comfort. (haha jk)

with all that said, i still feel i must learn this to improve my riding skills. not to mention the fact that i have a capable bike.

how do u do it? what are your tips?

have you done a wheelie on a bicycle before? if yes, you know you have to co-ordinate pulling and delivering power at the same time. but too much pull and or power and you keep going backwards. you have a good idea what kind of power your bike delivers, just ease into it until you feel comfortable and know how much power and pull you need. keeping your weight to the back of the bike will lighten the front end up too. balance is the key ....

this is going to be an interesting thread, i can feel it already ....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3l2BStkK1Y]How to Pop a Wheelie on a 400ex - YouTube[/ame]

have you done a wheelie on a bicycle before? if yes, you know you have to co-ordinate pulling and delivering power at the same time. but too much pull and or power and you keep going backwards. you have a good idea what kind of power your bike delivers, just ease into it until you feel comfortable and know how much power and pull you need. keeping your weight to the back of the bike will lighten the front end up too. balance is the key ....

this is going to be an interesting thread, i can feel it already ....

yes well put ox is sooo right about tht...... and yes this will get interesting

My quad doesn't have the power to pull one from a stop so I try to use the trail to help me out. At the end of this video I pull a small one by shifting my weight to the back of the quad right before a little bump in the trail and then gas it when the front tires hit the upside of it. It's hard to see the bump, but you can see the quad rolling over it. It made my surfing a little harder too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mglbnqPjt-o]EPIC NEW CAPTAIN MORGAN - YouTube[/ame]

First and most important is you have to flip backwards and fall off. Next time you will show respect. You cant do stunts and not appreciate them. Practicing on dirt is better if you tend to fall backwards alot. I learned on pavement (welcome to suburban NY) which i feel is better cuz you are more conservative. IMPORTANT...Make sure your rear tires have perfectly even tire pressure. DO NOT lean to one side when wheelieing(???) as this will cause you to turn. When you do a wheelie dont turn the handlebars fully either way as this will make for a nasty dismount when you put the front back down.

Although my body understands what i want to do the brain goes into safe mode and tries to save me from hurting myself when i try the infamous grab handle scrape wheelie. I was only able to do it once. Though most 400EXs are able to stand on the grabhandle when stopped.... Just gotta figure that part out.

Dont worry bout youtube vids and watching 1/4 mile wheelies. You will get there eventually.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Edited by marioweldinginc

i have never even done a wheelie on a bicycle. sad. ...thanks for the video! he makes it seem easy

Most of it is just trial and error. I have to figure it out better myself as that challenge was thrown out to me it this months contest thread with the suggestion of a best wheelie picture. The most important thing is to make sure you are wearing all of your safety gear and try to just work up to it. :yes:

Most of it is just trial and error. I have to figure it out better myself as that challenge was thrown out to me it this months contest thread with the suggestion of a best wheelie picture. The most important thing is to make sure you are wearing all of your safety gear and try to just work up to it. :yes:

yeah, i saw that. another reason why i need to learn!

GO NINA!!!!:wink: dropping the clutch always worked for me as well as giving it gas and pulling back........I agree that someone said to start with little bits of jumps or bumps (I used the side lip of the driveway, from driveway to grass, just to get a little air) and get the feel of how much to pull back,,,,it hurts when ya go over backwards!! ( got bucked off my horse the other day,,,not sure which one hurts more, quad or horse, but they still both hurt). Make sure you got your safety gear on,,,your daughter wants you in one piece and so do we!!!:yes: Cant wait to see the vids!!!

Edited by cheriah

GO NINA!!!!:wink: dropping the clutch always worked for me as well as giving it gas and pulling back........I agree that someone said to start with little bits of jumps or bumps (I used the side lip of the driveway, from driveway to grass, just to get a little air) and get the feel of how much to pull back,,,,it hurts when ya go over backwards!! ( got bucked off my horse the other day,,,not sure which one hurts more, quad or horse, but they still both hurt). Make sure you got your safety gear on,,,your daughter wants you in one piece and so do we!!!:yes: Cant wait to see the vids!!!

Yes it does hurt when you go over backwards. This wasn't from a wheelie, I botched a trick in the air and went off the back when I landed, but you get the idea.

6803-Trail-Rash.jpg

man o man that just looks nasty wylde1 !! a134e03f.gif

My favorite new saying is gonna be OX ROX. I love that smiley. And yes it hurt. That is all coal dirt stuck in my back. I got my foot stuck betwee the rear wheel and my nerf bar and the quad ended up dragging me. I was wearing and EVS REVO4 chest protector or it would have been worse.

Yes it does hurt when you go over backwards. This wasn't from a wheelie, I botched a trick in the air and went off the back when I landed, but you get the idea.

6803-Trail-Rash.jpg

ouch! ok, def don't want to get foot stuck.

man, that makes bruising from the chest protector padding being smashed between a rock and atv look like child's play ...guess it was, cause i rode back w just some bruises and bent handlebars.

With any Honda its just a dump of the clutch :-)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

your right ya know. the first time i got on the bike and was learning the clutch. the front came up on me. i started to panic but leaned forward & kept it under control.

i just need to get over the fear!

the tore up back photo is not helping ;) but the other tips w help me think of what im doing and not seem so out of control

your right ya know. the first time i got on the bike and was learning the clutch. the front came up on me. i started to panic but leaned forward & kept it under control.

i just need to get over the fear!

the tore up back photo is not helping ;) but the other tips w help me think of what im doing and not seem so out of control

Don't let that bug you, just start small and work up to it. That's the best way. You have to experiment to find that sweet spot. Just stay safe and get pics and video. :yes:

If at all possible, try to not wheelie standing on the seat or grab bar! You will get made fun of LOL.

LOL I was going to say I learned how to pull wheelies by kneeling on the seat that way in case something went wrong you can always jump off the bike. Maybe that is not a good approach for a sport quad but It sure helped on mine.

It's fine to learn like that, but you don't really learn balancing while usin that technique. I started like that, until I got made fun of LOL. On a utility quad it helps a ton, because they are SO heavy. As far as a 400x, not sure how easy it is. I'm at triple the power, so I can't really give any info on how easy it is.

It's fine to learn like that, but you don't really learn balancing while usin that technique. I started like that, until I got made fun of LOL. On a utility quad it helps a ton, because they are SO heavy. As far as a 400x, not sure how easy it is. I'm at triple the power, so I can't really give any info on how easy it is.

The 400ex will wheelie without trying LOL !! Its so light !! same with my R :yes: