Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

loucarter

1991 Yamaha Big Bear - Drive Shaft & U-Joint Replacement

Looking for some help on how to take the front drive shaft out on my 1991Yamaha Big Bear so we can replace the u joint.

I don't know if we have to remove drive shaft. It doesn't act like the front u joint is loose. What do you recommend?

Oops. Sorry about that we had it wrong. It is the front u joint that is loose so would we have to take off the front drive shaft to change the front u joint? If so, do you have some instructions that we could follow and how difficult is it to change? What tools do we need?

Thanks fo much for your help.

i would check the diff fluid level and make sure there is fluid there, there is going to be a little play in the driveshaft, and the cv joints too. if you jack the front up, you can move the tires, wiggle like to make sure the bearings are good, and tie rods and ball joints.

what is making you think it's the driveshaft and or u-joint? just noise? or unbalanced?

there are going to be little circle clips holding the u-joint on, if you're lucky it might all fall apart, or you might have to do some hammering on the centers of the u-joint itself to get it to move. heat is always good sometimes too if you're careful, just a small propane torch for plumbling....

we have the front end jacked up and when we wiggle the right front tire there is a lot of play - very loose.

thank you so much. tomorrow is a new day and we may not get to this until wed. ok we now understand how to get it apart. what about getting it back together?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mo Salem
      So my front hub broke, I’d like to put aftermarket on. Hard to find new oe ones. Please help. I’m new to all of this, I have some car knowledge and try to apply it
    • By MarkinAR
      So this 98 Big Bear is my new project.  While I'm waiting on a few parts to show up, I'm working on a few small things.  I can shift 1-5 just fine, no problem at all (keep in mind, this is not running yet so just manual shifting sitting still).  However, I can't shift from 1-neutral.  I can hold down on the foot shifter, rock it a bit, and it will disengage the clutch so i can push it around in neutral as long as I keep pushing down on the shifter.  However, it will not downshift to neutral and stay there.  I know BB's have had some shifting difficulties in the past, but before I dive into this, have any of you fine folks encountered the same issue?  I'm tempted to just adjust the linkage a bit since these have an external linkage, but thought I'd toss the question to the group and see if there are any common issues to look for.
      Thanks guys...
    • By seth baronie
      Need a stock drive clutch for a 2015 sportsman XP 1000. Part number 1322953
      [email protected]
      paypal ready
    • By Wolf Studios
      Hi guys so I'm looking for any help or advice with a yamaha big bear 350 1997 (i think) it's fairly dirty and just been say for many years, boss says it's a non runner and I've tried and it will not start, ideally would love to do it up and get it running but have been told the engine has gone, cannot find a new engine anywhere. Anything I should check first before just taking the entire thing apart? 

• By MarkinAR
      Picked this gem up today for two Benjamin's. Bike is complete, just worn out all over. Should be able to get the plastics back green, need to fix the shifting as it doesnt go into neutral, carb has been off 6 months but the intake was plugged off and he had an OEM carb that just needs rebuilt. Rear brake drum is completely seized in the open position. Normal relay, solenoid, wires are trashed. Think itll take about $100 to get it rideable which isnt bad for a $900ish bike. 

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Danny Ouellette
      Hey guys! I only need a couple think from the machine. Front bumper is #1. The other is the front plastics in grey. Used is fine as long as there is no cracks. 

Thanks,
      Danny

• By Martin Carrière
      Recently bought my BB. Everything works great. Only thing is, each time I put it in reverse, it either starts to rev high and start moving without giving it gas or I'll give it a bit of gas and let go and it will still rev at the same rpm or higher and keep moving. Doesn't do it for high or low.
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.