Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

gooseman80

1992 Kawasaki Bayou 300: Shifting/Clutch Problems

Hey guys, I'm new to here and could use a little advice. I just recently purchased a 1992 Bayou 300 that I have been fixing up. Once I got the bike running I discovered that the bike has shifting problems. Basically, I'm having a hard time getting it to shift into first from neutral. I can get the bike into reverse without any problems, but forward gears are giving me problems. Two things I've discovered on this: When I adjust the clutch improperly, basically too much CW on the screw thereby giving the shift pedal to much play which is also adding too much tension on the secondary clutch, I can get the bike to shift into the forward gears. This is not an option however because the shift pedal when the clutch is not properly adjusted doesn't return to center. The other thing I noticed while trying to find this problem is that if I loosen the secondary clutch springs. I can shift into first without any issues by popping the shift lever up with my finger. Wouldn't this mean that the gear shift drum is rotating and I might be having a problem with the secondary clutch? I'm just dredging the news that I might have a bent shift fork in there. I should also say that I have been able to drive this bike through all the gears when the clutch was not properly adjusted, but it does not shift correctly and I stopped on account of doing damage to the bike. I should also say that I tried replacing the shift level spring #92144 and change drum lever spring #92081 which didn't help at all. I have looked over all the clutch release components short of pulling out the shift lever shaft. I have not pull off any of the clutches as well in that I've been doing a lot of my inspections with a mirror or feel. The only thing I have found which didn't turn out to be the problem was a slightly loose crank case pin (the one the is in center of the shift lever) which I have tightened. What's throwing be off here is that when I loosen the secondary clutch springs, the shift lever will click up easily thereby turning the star looking cam change drum. I just would hate having to split the crank case open and not find anything wrong so I'm hoping to exhaust all my other options before going to the trouble. From what i can see, I don't notice any wear from the components that I can access and the shift lever shaft seems to rotate the shift lever true and straight. I'm just at my wits end here and could really use some advice or thoughts. Thanks

i would send a message to CK1999_400ex, he loves the kawi's and knows his stuff. i'm sure he will give you some advice on what to look for and try ... :yes:

Is there a way to invite him to this discussion. I'm not very good with these forum things?

Slight update: I look at it again and for some reason after removing the clutch cover, I could shift the lever with my finger without even having to loosen the secondary clutch springs. After messing around with it a bit and turning the wheel and the clutch, I tried again and couldn't engage the lever shift with my finder. Its starting to sound more and more that I could have a bent shift fork problem. Do you know with these bent shift fork problems if it is a either / or problem with shifting or could the bent shift fork display problems of shifting sometimes and shift OK other times? Thanks for the post.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ben Lennon
      Hi guys new to this forum and thought I’d jump on as I’ve just bought my first quad a Kawasaki bayou klf300c 89 model. It had starting issues when I bought it so I’ve gone thru and replaced the cdi, voltage regulator and starter solenoid aswell as rebuilt the starter motor after all this it was still free spinning on electric start so I pulled the stator cover off to find the fly wheel wasn’t spinning so replaced the one way clutch bearing put it all back together and still not engaging at all. I’m at a loss and looking for some ideas on we’re to look next to solve the problem
      cheers Ben 👍
    • By Andrew Baker
      I need help with wiring on a 1998 (I think, 10th digit of the VIN was W) Bayou. I'm not getting spark, I'm pretty sure it is due to grounds being off because the harness is pretty hacked as far as the electric start and charging system goes. I'm needing a good wiring schematic. I found one online and there are a few things that don't add up on it so I'm skeptical that it is really for my year and model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

• By Andrew520
      Got a good deal on an 89 bayou 300. Couple questions. First is in the picture I have posted. Note the two wires at the bottom of the pic (white and black/yellow). They were not hooked up to anything and Im not sure if they are supposed to go to the battery or somewhere else and what they are for.
      Second question is I had the carb apart for a cleaning. The vaccum operated slide has a spring under the cap with a plastic clip that goes inside the spring. Is there a proper location inside the spring for that clip. Right now it is just below half way inside the spring.
      It runs alright but keeps fouling the plug. Pulled the plug off, cleaned it and dried it off and it starts back up but not sure how long before itll do it again, last time it was about 20 minutes of riding and it bogged out and wouldnt start.

• By JCH
      Hi there
      I am in need of a manual for my KLF 300 Bayou 4x2 . I've found others on here for the 4x4 model, but was wondering if I need a separate 4x2 manual. Does anyone know?
    • By Dwight Williams
      I have a 99 Kodiak 400 4X4 that I picked up for $300.  The previous owner had modified the foot shifter by welding a piece of rebar to it so he could hand shift while plowing.  As you can imagine, the allows for much more torque on the shifter than it was designed to have, and he broke the stopper off of the the shift mechanism.  No big deal, I ordered the part and put it back together, went through the carburetor and off we go, it runs pretty good.  
      The first thing I noticed is that when I put the shifter all the way down it goes into reverse, I'm supposed to twist a knob to get it to reverse but this seems to be disabled.  Also, once in reverse, it's a bugger to get back out.  I have to hold the shifter up, then quickly back down and up again to get it to come out.  All forward gears work fine, clutch is tight, no problems.
      The reverse cable and lever are in tact and seem to move freely.  
      My question is this:  What does one normally have to do to get this thing into reverse?  I assume put it in neutral, twist the knob, kick the shifter down.  Does the brake need to be applied?  I'm not sure what's going on here, I suspect it's been 'modified' as it goes into reverse without the proper precautions, just not sure if the mods were external on internal.

thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Anthony Marceau
      Hi everyone! I have a 1986 yamaha moto4 200 that's been sitting for a while! Cleaned the carb, replaced engine oil, put fresh gas in it. Got it running and went for a ride! It was running great just a little backfire once in a while! I barely made it home on the way back and now the bike won't run at all since then! It will start if I give a little bit of throttle but dies instantly as soon as I let go off the throttle! And even if I try to rev it up it'll sound like its not getting enough gas.. it revs up a couple hundred rpm's and backfires through the carb.. it almost sounds as if I was trying to take off from zero in 5th gear! Nothing is seized though! I dissasembled the head and the piston and cylinder are fine! Rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition source coil.. I don't know what to do anymore.. compression test shows 90 psi Specs are 128 psi but i'm not sure if I trust my compression tester.. any ideas? Thanks!!
    • By Bearman
      Long story short. I bought this off my neighbor and only has 3 gears. The part that holds the shifter rod on broke, this is on the inside where the clutch is. The rod moved out of its spot and when they welded it back together only has 3 gears. I have a new case for it just need to know how to get the shifter in the right spot before I put it back together. I am missing the indicator that shows me where neutral is. A link to a good Manuel would be great. Thanks
    • By waynep
      I have a 1996 kawasaki bayou 300 that i cant seem to get running for more then about 10 seconds i think i need it to spin a little faster. i had it giving it to me and havent ever worked on a four wheeler yet. i have already cleaned the carb and did all the maintainance things i could think of. and am hoping for a good starting point Thanks Guys!!
    • By chuey12
      I have a 2010 Z400 and it will start up an idle fine but when you go to give it gas it just stales out and wont run at high temp. Any ideas?
    • By jeb9455
      i have 01 300 king quad shuts its self off when ever found has no spark let it set for a while will restart anyone had this problem and what was the fix thanks