Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

blackbear

winch rocker switch

If I install a 20 amp fuse on the rocker switch wire(thats what I am calling the wire that has the in-out button on one end and has the other end connected to the solenoid)instead of screwing around with any wires on my atv,shouldn't THAT fuse blow out if anything weird happens to the winch or rocker switch?

No, You'd have to protect the main power wire going from the battery directly too the contactor. That still won't protect your wiring if theres a failure within the contactor. Keep in mind that adding fuses also creates a failure point, so make sure you ALWAYS have a box of spares.

you will need a pretty big fuse .. 50 to 60 amp .. i have duel breakers on my winch power wires and it has kicked them out 1 time on a very heavy load ... and they are both 60 amp auto reset breakers .. but i also have a 5000 lb winch an was pulling close to 3000 lbs ( tree stump across flat ground ) when they cut out .. but they reset pretty quickly .. if you can find a set or even a single breaker at napa then i would put that inline on the main power lead .. and then you can also put a fuse in the positive side for your rocker switch as a safe guard backup..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Michael France
      I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 KLF220A and I cannot get it to start using the starter button. I have replaced the starter solenoid and the starter relay. I have followed the wiring diagram in the repair manual and it looks like the switch is working well, the neutral and reverse relay have power running through them and appear tp be working correctly. However, I can not find a wire runnng the the starter button that has power on it. Anybody have any idea what the break down is?
    • By bodon
      I have a 2011 850 Sportsman.  Has been absolutely trouble free except for 1 thing. I am on my 4th. ignition switch. I don't know if it's that they are all chinese junk or what.  It gets to a point  when you turn the key and it will act like the battery is going bad. Cranks real slow or not at all. Put a new switch in and its fine. New one will last 1 1/2 - 2 years and its junk. I've had the Polaris brand and after market. As a matter of fact the original one lasted the lest amount of time.  Other than that it's been a perfect machine . No electrical problems. No battery problems. Just curious if anyone else has had the same issue.
    • By Jay Reddick
      Hey guys, need some help with my 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 4x4.  Was riding and it started smoking below the air box and then Caught fire.  We got the fire put out quickly with a fire extinguisher.  Many of the wires below the air box got damaged.   I purchased a new wiring harness for the atv and replaced that as well as any other damaged cables or parts that burned up where the fire was.  I also replaced the regulator, the ECU, and the starter solenoid. I also replaced the stater since some of the cables that went to the regulator were damaged.  It acts like it will crank but it won’t turn over.   The fuel pump initialized when I turn the key so it’s working.  I’ve spend $1500 on parts and no luck yet.  Any suggestions?  
    • By Eddie Rahm
      whats up fellas....the white wire going from the throttle body came unplugged from the circuit  board and im not sure where it plugs back in to ? i see where the red wire goes but im not sure where the white wire goes...im not even sure what those wires do..any help would be appreciated..thanks. 1996 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 push button awd.
    • By Arizona
      On one of the atv I recently purchased the neutral switch is bad, Any one ever replaced one.
      looking for some pics. I assume I need to remove the drive shaft to pull the cover foward
      to clear the gear shift shaft. Any easy ways to do this. So far have motor moved forward 
      all bolts out except nuts on drive shaft which are loose Thanks Az
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Christian Brindle
      I've already posted here once about this ATV. Lots of people suggested i check the cam and after a couple months i finally got around to attacking it. I got it all apart and got the cam/rockers out. I'm almost positive they need to be replaced, they're pretty scored up and don't look too hot. Just wanted some final opinions before i drop the money on it. I'll also take feedback on the new cam i've chosen.
      Old Cam: 
      New Cam: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2GM2J05FQQPCD?ref_=wl_share
      Old Forum: 

Thank You.
    • By Racer944
      Hi Folks;
      Has anybody on here installed a winch on a 2003 Magnum 2x4? I am using a Cycle Country adapter plate (only one I could find), but am having a bit of trouble getting it all to fit properly, and am looking for someone that may have done this install and/or may have some pics of the installation.
      Thanks!
      Eric
    • By toonces
      My mother has just developed a fairly serious case of sciatica, which is a condition where you have some serious leg pain as the result of a pinched sciatic nerve. One of the exercises she does in physical therapy is simply the therapist holding onto her foot and pulling away from her hips as she lays on her back on a table. To replicate this exercise at home they have recommended an inversion table (where you turn upside down and hang from your feet), but since she's not too keen on this idea I'm trying to figure out how to replicate this exercise...which is where the idea of a remotely operated winch comes in.
      I don't really have a wide range of knowledge when it comes to what equipment is out there that can help me accomplish this goal, but I'm not too shabby at designing things and since I just installed a superwinch on my grizz this is the first idea I've come up with.
      Basically I'm imagining using some kind of winch whose rope would be worked through a pulley system that would end attached to a shoe which Mom would put on, lie down and use the remote switch to gently stretch the leg.
      - Winch (if an ATV winch) would be powered by a 12v car battery hooked up to a trickle charger
      - Safety mechanisms would include...
      - a light switch dimmer inline between the 12v battery and the winch so speed can be adjusted.
      - possibly using one of those stretchy rubber exercise resistance bands in the line segment to regulate and ease the pulling
      - a remote power cut off switch paired with the remote 'in/out' switch
      Honestly I could just go ahead and make this system myself, and I'm fairly sure it would work, but I thought I'd bounce this idea off a mechanically minded community to see if there are any ideas how I could improve on the design.
      Since I'm only familiar with ATV winches at this point that's what I've imagined using. But if anyone is aware of a 110v based winch that would be more appropriate, that would surely help in simplifying powering the system since it'll be located indoors. Only requirement for the winch would be that it would need both an in and out function operated by a remote switch. And since the winch would only need to pull between 10-20 lbs it wouldn't need to be nearly as beefy as the ATV type.
      Sorry for the long write up here but I'm certainly glad for your time and open to your opinions and suggestions.
    • By lulu
      neutral light does not come on when in neutral, engine will not turn over. have not found any bare wires or loose connections. not sure exactly where the neutral switch is located or how to replace it. battery is hot and reverse light works
    • By stepadery
      The connector that that plugs into the switch evidently was caught by something while riding (I'm guessing) and a couple of wires were pulled out of the connector. I have attached a picture. Is there any where that I can get this female end with pigtails without buying the entire wiring harness? I'm a pretty good wire splicer and solderer.