Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Danmountainman

1987-89 big bear 350 4x4 shifting

Hi, brand new to the forum and first time ATV owner at 46. I picked up what is believed to be an 87 to 89 big bear 350 4x4. The owner was not sure. My big question is it appears the shifting is neutral at the bottom and five up unlike all my dirt bikes. Is this right? There is no Manuel and I have not had enough time or area to get it up to speed and run it through the paces. Any help, owners manuals, and an order of things to inspect and service first?

Thank you,

Dan

Thank you for your response. It must not be going into first then. The gears above neutral seem to be fine. Any suggestions or adjustments that can be made?

Thanks guys for your response. I am going to get it out today run through the gears and I will let you know. It is funny that I cannot find any litatuer on the shifting. I did find through the vin search that it is an 1988.

Steelcity, is yours difficulty to get into neutral, I have to work at it to push it down numerous time before it goes into neutral. Would changing any fluids or the types of fluids help?

If it shifts that difficult it may be a bent shift fork, just rebuilt the tranny in a 450yfz having the same issue. Thats what we found to be the issue, shifted wonderfully after the new shift forks were put in

Ghost420guy,

I probably don’t have the skill to do that what should that cost at a bike shop?

I was able to get it out and shift through all 5 gears. Neutral is at the bottom. Should I be I neutral befor putting it into reverse?

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your knowledge.

shifting : sometimes I have to rock it a little when shifting down to neutral especially when at a stop , like any motor driven vehicle if it is new to you then it would be wise to change all fluids if you don't know the history .

Hi,

Yes it Should be in neutral befor putting it into reverse.

BR

Oren