Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

cptnobvis

2005 Suzuki Quadsport 400z - Wont Start

im not sure what the problem is i think its the solenoid but this is my first atv so not totally sure. i was riding it just fine for half hour or so then stopped for a second and it died. i lost all power lights indicator lights....everything. i thought it was the battery so i cleaned the terminals and reconnected everything. i had power after that but when i hit the starter all it did was click once then the power was gone again. i let it sit for a bit and the N light came on so i tried it again and it just clicked once and power was gone again. i threw the battery on the charger and it said it was fully charged. im not sure what else it could be other than the solenoid so i need some help to know if the problem is deeper.

I'd suspect that a bad connection let the battery voltage drop down too bad levels. ( not charging.) I've said it here before, just because the voltage seems ok doesn't mean the battery has the amperage to do it's job. I'd let it charge overnight & if that doesn't change anything then go searching for other problems. Bad connection somewhere? Stator not charging?.....things of that nature. The way you describe it, it sounds like a dying/dead battery. The battery might regain a "surface charge" on it's own but really needs a deeep charge to get back to proper capacity.

I charged the battery all day and hooked it up after work and that didnt work. I took the relay in and had it checked and was told it was fine. My next test i jumped it to make sure it wasnt the starter and it jumped fine. My thinking now is the battery has fused cells which is giving me the false complete charge.

I'm a betting man....& id bet 10:1 that you have a battery failure. If it ran fine with a jumper battery then that tells me all the electrics are functional. If you need to check further with a new battery check the voltage with it shut off ( 11.5-12.5 volts) then check it with the engine running. It should be around 14.4-15 volts. If it's near 16-17, then i'd worry that the regulator might be bad and it boiled out the battery. Like OB said, check the regulator if it's overcharging. Is the battery still full of electrolyte?

i got a new battery got it charged and put it in and it started right up then i shut it off hooked it up to the charger and got a read out of 13.1 turned it on and got 14.9-15.3 so i think its safe to say it was just the battery and the charging system is working fine. thanks for everyone's help and input it was greatly appreciated

Glad it was something simple! Still would'nt hurt too check the battery voltage with the engine off, then with it running. ( No seperate charger attached!!!)

i did i hooked up my charger while it was off and got the voltage reading then turned it on and got a higher voltage

Oh, I see, you're using your charger as a voltmeter....looks like you found the problem. Happy riding!! Stay safe on the trails.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kevin Nicoll
      Anyone familiar with these models? Its a new to me quad, picked it up for basically nothing... Just time and materials now, this looks expensive. 

• By james p
      Hey all new member so I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post, but I'm having trouble with a 2000 polaris magnum 500 I just acquired. The quad ran when I got it but was having problems that sounded like the camshaft, and sure enough camshaft lobe was pretty much gone, so we replaced the camshaft and exhaust rockers and now the quad doesnt have spark. We had the quad running right before we tore the old camshaft out and now no spark. Anybody else ever have a problem similar? We've been checking for loose wires, checked grounds, and double checked timing but cant get it figured out so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks 
    • By Sturgeon
      Hello everyone, did a search and not successful. Purchased new 2017 Sportsman 570 sp and my power steering is not working. Seems to have a mind of it's own. Works then it doesn't. Dealer says there's not a fix. Thought it was just me and it being a brand new machine with 4 hours on it. Dealership said it's this model only ? Not sure what a person in this spot is suppose to do and wondering are your thoughts mite be. Thanks 
    • By Vybrano Cz
      (I don't have manual and there isn't one on the internet)
      It's a 150cc ATV, automatic transmission, automatic starter, with zero electric devices.
      I have to mount at least some front/rear lights. But for how many watts should I aim in total on entire ATV? You know, for example there are 10/50/200 Watt lights. But it's impossible to order some, when I don't know if I should keep entire ATV under 100 Watts? Under 500 Watts? Under 1000 Watts?
    • By Dexter-Bernice Luck
      Inviting all CF MOTO owners to join us at CF MOTO WE RIDE  on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/400047730908167/
      Plan rides, ride with others, just get to know owners in other areas and share riding information.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Mo Salem
      So my front hub broke, I’d like to put aftermarket on. Hard to find new oe ones. Please help. I’m new to all of this, I have some car knowledge and try to apply it
    • By oxidized_black
      tag : zukifreak

• By LMI
      Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.
      Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run Seems to be free spinning with my finger read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.
      Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.
      Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?