Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

anchorpoint

1990 Yamaha Big Bear - Rear Drive Shaft Boot

Has anyone run into this problem before? A 1990 Yamaha 350 Big Bear. Needed to replace swingarm bearings and rubber boot. Bearings done but when we (mechanic neighbour and self) went to replace the rubber boot with the factory issued new one (from Yamaha dealer) it was the wrong size. One end (swingarm end) fits fine but the other (trans side) is considerably larger - no possible fit. Both ends should be approximately same size as the swingarm end.

Dealer says the previous owner likely switched out the rear end; but mechanic says there would be clear evidence of jerry rigging. He thinks possibly Yamaha Canada and Yamaha USA are different. And as poor luck would have it, I threw out the old boot! Visited a few ATV dealers about a rubber boot aprox. same side both ends but no one seems to know what to suggest. Any suggestions? Chris

Just the follow-up outcome. It was the Asian version Oxidized Black. Sent for the part to the U.S. and Powersports forwarded the correct boot. I couldn't get that part in Canada. The U.S. carried the Asian version. Who would have thought? Thanks for your suggestion and it's now in place. Chris

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Wesley Floyd
      Hey guys, Thanks for looking at my post. I haven't had a lot of experience with problems like this before, so I'm a little bit at a loss. The Quad was really hard to shift, (the dirty carb leaking gas making it idle high didn't help either). The only Idea I have would be is that the torsion spring is worn out, and that there is a normal parameter for how much it should move when those two arms of the shift shaft assembly spread apart.  That's my thought. Maybe someone who has more knowledge then me can let me know if i'm on the right track 😀

• By Stephen Daugherty
      I'm joining to get help and opinions on my z... I just had the entire bottom end and carb rebuilt new rings and plug rose it maybe 4 hours and on the way home it backfired and blew the carb boot from the head and now it won't start? Getting fuel and fire but when I check the plug its covered in fuel? I've checked time and clearance everything seems to be fine? Just cant figure it out?
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      Hello - I have just had delivered my 2004 registered King Quad 300.
      The gear change is pretty fierce.  Pretty hard to get into gear from neutral on the foot pedal and when I select reverse on the hand lever, it jumps into reverse with a hell of a kick.
      I am waiting for a service manual to arrive, but in the meantime, has anyone any suggestions please?
      Thank you.
    • By Alan Callison
      OK everybody,I need some help here please. My 4 wheeler has got a bad wheel bearing I discovered while starting a brake job. Its on the left side. I've never done one and I need some knowledge how to go about it. Am I to understand I need to pull the whole axle out to do it. I've done it once on a car about 30 years ago,lol. I keep looking around for a repair manual but they're hard to find without having to buy it. I looked here on this site but apparently Im too junior a member to be able to download one right now.Bummer!  One other question if I may.When I pulled the drum off the spindle a torrent of water poured out,the brake shoes were covered in mud along with everything else. I mean the drum had alot of water in it. The shoes were so locked up after I removed the springs I tried to rotate one of the shoes and it wasn't easy at all. I noticed whoever had the machine before myself had laid a bead of RTV around the back plate but apparently it didn't work. Isn't there some kind of gasket for this purpose. I saw it calls for a dust shield but surely this wont keep the brakes dry or will it. Thanks everybody.
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      I have a Yamaha YFM225 which sounds really noisy exhaust wise.  It had no baffle so I bought and installed that but it seemed to make no difference.  There are no leaks from the manifold or exhaust but the damm thing just sounds  so loud !
  • Similar Tagged Content