Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

chevy2008

1997 Polaris 425 6x6 Carb Help

I bought a 1997 polaris 425 6x6 and the guy told me the carb was bad....so I bought a new one..easy to install but wont run good..Where the breather or filter hooks to the back of the card there is a black I call snorkel...well if i sqeeze it closed a little bit and rev it up it seems to run 90 % better but as soon as i let go so its gettn all there air it pops and spits..cant even drive it....so i put a tie rap around it so it says closed some and runs ok....but then if I put it n reverse and back up it back fires....ca1n anyone help me out here? im stupid when it comes to wheelers... I dont see any adjustment screws for your fuel or air...why isnt there any..Help

ok i figured out the reverse thing....stupid on my part..i guess there is an override button for reverse lol..but need help on the other thing

So if my carb is gettn to much air and not enough fuel ...can i adjust it by taking the diaphragm cover off and raise or lower the jet needle?

It depends at what stage you are starving for gas. The needle affects mid range. You should do a plug chop at 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

yes about 1/3 throttle it seems like its starving for gas...i just bought the new carb...i do see a adjustment screw on the bottom side of the carb...it would be hard to adjust if that has anything to do with the air and gas....but was told under the top cover there is a needle valve that can be adjusted...right now i have the breather intake hole closed off a little just so it would run someway decent but i shouldnt have to do that..ideals fine though

Disregard, I merged your 2 carb threads into this one, since they are the same topic. :wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Tim Orr
      Installed new battery was told that’s what was wrong when hit start button I hear 1 click then nothing?  Can the battery just not have enough amps to crank the starter the first time ? I trickle charged it overnight thought it was enough!
    • By Reece Bowen
      x   just bought this expedition 425 and the Speedo needle does not work. The lights work for the shift indcator. So is this an electronic Speedo or cable? Is there a way to fix it or will I have to replace the unit? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    • By marcus23934
      I just bought a 99 sportsman 335. did some work to it got it running good my question is when I put a battery in it the atv starts and idles great once I give it gas it just spits and cuts out and will not ever clear up  thing is if I take the battery terminal off while its running it runs fine and no problem at all  could anyone help me out with what the deal is 
    • By Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones
      All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.
      Throttle safety switch 
      Cam and rockers
      ECM
      Carborator
      Stator
      Fuel safety switch 
      Battery
      Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.
    • By Barry Troxtell
      I have a 2005 Sportsman 500, Instrument cluster will not illuminate, hi/lo beams work though.  Any tips or troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Fish Killen Machine
      My ATV has stopped charging the battery.  I have to charge it with a trickle charger everytime before I use it.  What do I need to replace to get it to charge the battery again?
      Thanks,
        Dave
    • By Admin
      View File 2012 Arctic Cat 425 Service Manual
      2012 Arctic Cat 425 Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 12/13/2016 Category Arctic Cat ATV  
    • By Admin
      2012 Arctic Cat 425 Service Manual
    • By M0BJT
      Hi Everyone
      This is my first post and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me solve a problem I have with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Fitted with a Mikuni Carburetor . The year of the quad is around 1998, the reason I am not sure of the date is, there wasn't any paperwork and no details on the frame either.
      The quad had a bad leak from the carb overflow which indicated that the float needle valve was blocked or passing so I replaced this and put everything back together. The quad ran really well until I took it onto some rough ground to have a ride around, a few hours later the engine started to run really rough as if the engine was flooding. I have removed the carb again and cleaned the needle valve out and the whole of the carb just in case there where any dirt behind it. Engine now runs fine again but fuel has started to run out the carb overflow again.
      I have tried everything to try and stop the fuel leaking out the overflow but its still happening. My last thoughts where to adjust the float level and its still happening.
      Has anyone got any thoughts on the problem or could suggest whats causing the fuel leaking out the overflow.
      Thanks for reading
      Kevin
    • By Beb1041
      Looking for a download of a manual