Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

witness7

1997 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 400 - Carb

I have a couple of questions again please. In cleaning the carb i took the needle valve out.... it had a string on it and a rubber ring and a small washer... I need to know for sure how these go back because they fell out of the carb when i took the needle valve out and I am not unsure of how they go back in I think the spring first slides onto the needle valve, but what comes next if so the washer or the rubber O ring? Next I noticed the breather that i purchased does not set tightly into the hose that comes out of the carb would that keep it from idleing correctly? cause i can put something against the hose and it trys to idle? right now though i have the float off cause gas is pouring out of the carb when i try to start it... Thank you in advance

I called it a needle valve cause of not knowing much about atv's .. its not the needle valve that has the washer and small spring and 0-ring... I think its called a Idler anyways its not in the bowl where the float is at .. but its outside the bowl right beside the bowl on the bottom.... I took it out to clean it and a small washer and 0-ring fell out before i could tell which one came out first.... So if anyone could help me I would appreciate it...

I think its the 0-ring that goes in first and then the spring and then the washer goes on the idler jet? If someone that knows about these things would reply I sure would appreciate it... Thank you.

What you took out is the mixture screw. Put spring on mixture screw, then washer, then O-ring. Holding the screw so that those parts don't fall off, insert it into hole. I hold the carb so I can insert the screw with tip up, that way the parts wont fall off. Make sure you lightly seat the needle valve and then back it out the same amount of turns it was originally. If you don't know what that adjustment was, you will have to find out. Usually somewhere around 2 1/2 turns on 660s. 1 1/2 on my 450 Kodiak. Good Luck

Thanks for this post and answer.

I am trying to figure out how to "seat" this "pilot screw" (outside of the float bowl) before backing it out 2.5 turns.

This "pilot screw" can be screwed in so far that the tip can actually be seen coming through the hole in the bottom wall of the carburetor exit. And no, I am not talking about the "jet needle".

There is also a "pilot air jet" set screw on the left wall of the intake side of the carburetor. That needs to be adjusted correctly too. I have read posts that it should be 2 turns out from a soft seat. That screw has a definite seat.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

it does stick in to the carb body when seated, spray some wd on it, and seat it LIGHTLY, don't tighten it like a screw or it will strip or break the little tip off in the body, back it out 2 turns and try it, if it will idle turn it in slowly till the rpms drop, then out till they drop, set it between, I don't know what your talking about on the pilot air jet unless youre talking about the screw that holds the slide up, if that's it it just pushes the slide up to give it more gas when the throttle is at rest.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      picked up this pos bike for $80 not running.  took it home, cleaned the carb and bypassed the fuse-  ran great (other than the rev limiter- those things are so stupid)  Then one day out of the blue it starts flooding on cold startup and wont idle cold, but idles to fast warm.  (too fast being about half throttle speed heh).  I tried a new carb ($10) and new sp.  new carb wouldnt make it run except on choke and then it was gushing white smoke.  I had better things to do with my time so I parked it in a shed and used it for a work bench for a while...  this last weekend, I wanted to take it along with the sportman to a mens retreat to let the younger boys have some fun on it--  took about 30mins to pull all the crap I had accumulated on it and then rolled it down to my workshop, put the old carb back on after adjusting the needle clip up two notches (leaner) and threw it back on the bike.  Will turn over, but no fire.  I didnt have time to check sp that day but just wanted some incite on what could be wrong with this quad (if it even qualifies as being called that)
    • By SD400exGirly
      Hi Ladies,
      I am new to the forum and to riding. I just bought a 2002 Honda 400ex and I love it. I went out riding for the first time last Sunday and I can't wait to get back out there on Saturday. My question is do you wear your wedding/engagement rings while riding? I just recently got engaged and I never take my ring off. It fits fine under my glove and I am wondering if anyone else has lost theirs or had a bad experience wearing it while riding.
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      Hello all.  I have just stripped down the carb on my YFM225 as it is not running right.
      I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner for half an hour and it has done a good job.
      Nice clean jets but when I go full throttle it backfires, and there is a lack of power.
      It also does not seem to take fuel in properly - it comes out the petcock ok so it is running freely enough, but it is not drawing into the carb.
      If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

• By KQ300cy
      Hi all, new to the forum, looking forward to getting some help/advice on maintaining an 18 yr old atv!  So my King Quad 300, recently started running really rough (otherwise ok til this point) at anything more than idle.  After started, choke on/off, doesn't seem to matter, it shutters (Not sure how else to explain it) really bad when given throttle.  I can let the engine run for several minutes, but this never improves.  
      Fuel pump checks out ok, and I don't see any gas in the fuel pump vacuum line.  I am a novice on a carburetor, but I need to see what's going on, so after taking it apart, I have a question about this plastic part with an o-ring that is above the jet needle.  Appears as if someone rebuilt this carb, because it is extremely clean...so I am wondering if this plastic part looks to be typical for this carb...or not.  Thanks in advance for the help!

• By Wayne Gilroy
      I currently have a 2015 Polaris 570SP that I bought new and have been riding for for over 20 years.  
      I don't do much trail riding or mudding like I used to when I was younger.  I mostly use it around my 25 acres in the country as a utility vehicle (moving trailers, working on hunting stands and gathering firewood in the woods).   The work in the woods sometimes tests the stock tires, but most the time I'm on high and dry ground.  And every once in a while the wife and I will get together with some other atv friends and go for a day of trail riding.  Maybe 2 or 3 times a year give or take.
      I use the ATV year round, but here in Northwest Wisconsin, the snow depth makes it prohibitive to getting out in the woods or out on the frozen lake.
      I don't want a snowmobile (they are such a bitch to get un-stuck in deep snow - I know because I have a friends 500lb sled stuck in 3 feet of snow and slush on the lake right now).
      So I'm thinking about getting a tracked machine.  I've never driven one, but have watched several youtube videos that are quite impressive.  Especially for snow.
      I have seen some systems are geared for snow only, and some that are all terrain.   I would prefer to use a track system year round unless someone can convince me it's better to have tracks just for snow and wheels the rest of the year.
      My questions are:
      1. Between a Can Am 1000 and a Polaris 1000 - which one is better for tracks? I'm familiar with the Polaris AWD system and like it.  I've "heard" that Can Am's 4wd isn't quite as good, but maybe that's not true.  I'm open to other machines but these two are just my preference.
      2. Tracks - all season vs winter. 
      How much of a pain in the ass is it to change from tracks to wheels to tracks each year?  Are the snow only tracks worth it vs year round tracks?  Can you comfortably trail ride (non winter) with tracks?  I'm talking long, boring, well groomed, straight, flat dirt trails.  At the end of 50 miles am I going to wish I had put the wheels on? How long are tracks good for?  My machine will be garage stored and my annual mileage/hours will be minimal.  Are there any things to be aware of in terms of warranty violation if I were to buy a new machine and put tracks on it myself vs the dealer? Any issues with stock axles, clutch or other components? Thanks in advance!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By ej200421
      i was wondering if i could get some help. i been trying to locate where the fuel and air adjustment screws are located on my 95 kodiak 400. i think i found the fuel screw.. i know where the throttle adjuster is but i cant find the air screw. or is there an air adjustment on these carbs?
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot