Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JohnnyBAtv

Suzuki Quadmaster 500 Ignition or Carb problem - Backfiring

Hello Everyone and thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. Also this is my first post. I have read some other posts regarding backfiring of this type of quad, but my issue adds another layer of complexity.

My quad which I purchased from a gentleman who couldn't figure this issue out thought he had it licked, as well as I did. He had replaced the carb with a brand new one and still had the same issue.

Here is the issue: Initially the quad ran great, didn't have any backfiring issues IF the ignition switch was turned all the way to the second click which is the lights on position. It would start and run fine. However, if the quad was run on the first ignition click - lights off, it would backfire and not run.

So the solution to the problem was simply to run the quad with the lights on.

Now, even if it is run with the lights on it backfires and sputters. It will not accept any throttle. It will backfire and surge if throttle is applied.

Thank you for any advice.

the first question i have to ask, seems obvious, but have you tried a new spark plug? the spark plug is still the weakest link in the ignition circuit. mostly because of all the varying conditions it is asked to operate in. if so, i have to tell you, honestly, from the description you are providing, it sounds like you have an electrical problem. as a former mechanic for more than 30 years, i can tell you that more than 75% of all electrical problems can be traced back to a faulty ground. there is an easy way to tell if this is the problem however. but, the difficulty can be made worse by how much of the quad is covered in plastic. the quick check is to simply run one single jumper wire to multiple locations. it needs to start at the - side of the battery, then onto a good frame ground (sand off the paint, and apply dielectric grease (available at any auto parts store). from there, to the engine (same thing, sand off paint) then up to the cdi box ground WIRE, and finally to the ignition coil ground WIRE. if this does not cure it, the problem is most likely not a ground problem. there is always a chance that the stator could have a problem, as that is where all electrical power is generated from. and you could also have a defective switch. if the jumper wire fixes the problem, it will be very tempting to just stop there. but you really NEED to find the cause and repair it properly. if it is corrosion, the chances of another connection being corroded nearby, possibly in the same connector, is very good. and just ignoring it is simply asking for more trouble. which will most likely come when it is most inconvenient. like riding by yourself, after dark, miles and miles from home. or in the middle of a swamp.

Jet kit? I added jet dyno jet kit to my bike. I didn't account for exhaust. Blew out stock muffler. Added HMF works great. Let me know whats on your bike I will ask my Mech.

Scott

Thanks for your responses! I have been out of town, but will be able to look into the quad soon. I'll post any info I uncover.

Edited by JohnnyBAtv
Plural

the biggest thing is to be calm and be thorough. getting upset will either cause mistakes, or worse. if something gives you a lot of trouble, walk away from it for 10-15 minutes, drink a soda, clear your head, and go back at it. if it still gives you trouble, walk away from it for the night, post on here what is giving you trouble, and see if one of us can help. i have seen a lot of damage (and i have been there myself on some of my own things) when you struggle with something you do not understand. i remember doing a brake job on my first car, and getting so mad i took a rubber hammer to the body! it did not help fix the car, but it let enough steam off that i could think clearly after a while. it took me 2 weeks to fix the dents, and the paint never did really match. i have seen hammer holes in crankcases on some customer machines. totaling the quad is one way of fixing it, but i do not recommend it! it is NOT cost effective!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By StolenATV
      This is the information I have on my kids other fourwheeler I dont have a pic of it because I had just got it for them. Just have a pic of the vin plate.
      The post 100CC ASIAN QUAD Stolen appeared first on Stolen 911.
      View the full article
    • By LMI
      I wanted to share an experience and a fix.
      Headed out was following a pole line, was looking for a cross track that may take me to this speckle trout looking spot on a creek.  All paths and semi paths... failed.  Second objective was to reach a speckle trout lake that has been recently stocked... followed 1 trail to dead end, followed second trail to dead end.... while investigating options on foot and the quad idling it died.

It wouldn't start.  eventually it did... and when it did … it was essentially a pinned idle.  activating the throttle did seem to speed it up but it wouldn't knock out of the racing idle.  couldn't put it in gear at that idle speed.  got towed out.
      when I first got the quad, I ran it off a trail and buried it pretty good in the soft snow... eventually winched out.  It wouldn't start.  eventually did and it was fast idling.  not as fast as this last time. but still fast.  it eventually seemed to settle and I got it in gear and by the time I was back to the truck was acting ok.  chalked it up to the bike being at a bad angle in the snow.
      My investigation last year lead to the throttle position sensor TPS.  how to jumper the diag block to see the sensor position on the display,.  I focused on this nearly sure it was a detuned sensor or broken sensor again this time.

I tore down the front plastic and stuck my head into the TPS area to see what I could see.  What I found was that the throttle body assembly had actually come out of the mounting area (not sure what it is called).  the ring clamp was loose I could move it easily.  Hopeful, I tore down the air intake assembly above it (air filter...etc) removed a sensor clip and a hose.
      I backed off the clamp some more and was able to reseat the throttle body assembly.  put some blue lock tite on the clamp screw.  When I was cleaning off the air intake assembly to ensure I dropped nothing down the intake, I noticed the underside of the air intake "box" also had a clamp.  this screw was completely missing.
      I went to the hardware store, bought a metric replacement (brought clamp with me), seated the assembly, settled the clamp blue lock tite that as well... 

quad fired right up, idled normal, idled up without hesitation and dropped right back off.  Cost of solution $3.87 CND for a pack of 5 metric screws.  moral of my story was don't assume an idle issue is a throttle position sensor problem... there are a number of other factors including air pressure, which I believe was my issue.

• By Finsdad
      Im new to the forum and the quad I just got. I want to change oil in in. Its almost impossible to find anything on-line. I know it takes 10w40 and know the oil filter location. What oil should I use? Is there a cross reference for oil filter. The closest dealer to me is an hour away. I have NAPA close and like the WIX or Napa gold filters. Also is where can I get a Manuel for it? Thanks
    • By David Land
      About 6 months ago I had a new fuel pump, ECM, stator and heaven only knows what else installed on my 05 King Quad.  It has been running great until the other day when I went to get it off the trailer, and it would not start.  Pulled the plug, and it was a little dirty, but not bad, but I put a new one in just for good measure.  Still would not start.  Pulled the fuel line connector underneath and turned on the switch and fuel was coming out, but with little to no pressure.  I turned the switch off and on multiple times to fill up a water bottle with fuel, and the fuel was good.  As it turns out, the fuel pump is out of warranty (go figure).  So, I'm going to put a pressure gauge on it tomorrow and see what it is pumping.  Is there anything else I can check?
      Many thanks,

David
    • By Andrew Serrano
      I have a 2000 Suzuki LTF -300 King Quad. My problem is it will start up great, very fast. It will run fine until it gets hot and I turn it off.  If I let it sit for a bit it will not start until I hold the throttle wide open and crank on the starter for quite some timr, acting has if flooded.....but I checked the spark plug one time this happened, went to change thinking it was flooded but only found a dry Plug????  It starts like if flooded but plug was dry, it takes awhile to start, then to get going I have to really rev it to get it clear and going...Thanks any suggestions would be great, thanks everybody in advance...!!!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mrfartsalot
      i have a 2001 suzuki quadmaster 500 4x4 that the primary cvt clutch is rusted on any ideas on how to get it off i want to try to reuse it if possible.
    • By Paul Maple
      I have a 1999 Sportsman  500, it was running fine, than started to lose power in the winter, I adjusted the idle screw and away I went, than a few weeks ago it died, I have found that i am flooding the engine, compression was at 70PSI and due to the compression release mech. i assume i am good as it compared to the same PSI on a 2000 sportsman 500 i have. i cannot start the atv unless i go full throttle and it starts an runs for about 30 sec than dies, again it is flooded. i ordered a new carb off ebay as i could get one for around $40. put that in same issue, i have checked the timing, (good), valves out of adjustment i adjusted to .006 still same issue, i have found the exhaust lobe and rocker arm to have some wear, i have ordered new ones, but am looking for any other input in this area as well. would the exhaust cam and rocker arm cause the engine to flood? i have used a bore scope and the piston liner has good cross hatching still? any input would be great.
    • By colin james
      View File 1996-2000 Polaris Sportsman 335/500 Service Manual
      This is the factory service manual for the polaris sportsman 335 & 500.
      You can download the section you need  or download all of the chapters for the complete manual 
      Submitter colin james Submitted 10/19/2018 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By colin james
      This is the factory service manual for the polaris sportsman 335 & 500.
      You can download the section you need  or download all of the chapters for the complete manual 
    • By colin james
      View File 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 Factory Service Manual
      This is the factory service manual for the sportsman 500 6x6.
      Download just the chapters you need or can download all chapters to have complete service manual. 
      Submitter colin james Submitted 10/18/2018 Category Polaris ATV