Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

drschwinn

2001 Arctic Cat 4x4 - Running Lean

Need some advice... The exhaust coming out of the engine glows red hot when running for a few minutes. I have been told it is running too lean. How do I fix this? is there an adjustment on the carb? if so, where is it located? Thanks!

Thanks for the help. I just had a look, and I cant figure out if the fuel air mixture can be adjusted without taking the carb apart. Does anyone know by chance?

Need some advice... The exhaust coming out of the engine glows red hot when running for a few minutes. I have been told it is running too lean. How do I fix this? is there an adjustment on the carb? if so, where is it located? Thanks!

If if an engine is running to lean the exhaust should not glow red hot! Sounds to me like something is restricting your exhaust for example: nest from dirt dobbers, rats, squirrels and other little critters can cause this. This same thing will occur on many vehicles with catalytic converter/s installed that become clogged over time. Hope This Helps, Whip

probably 3 bolts starting near the seat. one will be a clamp to the straight pipe and then the other bolts would be to hold it to the frame. i would just take the muffler off and run it to see if that makes a difference. i have heard of running a garden hose thru the muffler to rid mud mud etc. ...

ok great, I will try that. Stupid question tho... wouldn't you be able to tell if it is plugged simply by checking the end of the pipe while it is running (without taking anything off)? Or can it be restricted just a little, causing it to glow red hot???

my buddy had a 750 brute that was plugged and had the motor rebuilt from kawasaki and they didn't know, so, it's an easy check really, just a few curse words getting that bolt under the seat by the fender LOL

you'll get some pressure coming out, but maybe not all that it should be ... and if it still glows when the muffler is off, get a wire coat hanger and straighten it out and shove it down the straight pipe, but put a peice of tape on the hanger so you don't go too far in ... measure it a couple inches up from the bend into the cylinder

ok great, I will try that. Stupid question tho... wouldn't you be able to tell if it is plugged simply by checking the end of the pipe while it is running (without taking anything off)? Or can it be restricted just a little, causing it to glow red hot???

Sounds like ur running lean Bigger Jet will help !! If you got a spark arrester I dought anything is in ur exhaust unless it ate the screen !!

I would check first for air leaks or torn boots before the carb or airbox. Is the lid on your airbox?

Did you snorkel the quad or replace/modify the muffler?

Also how cold is it there. If it was running fine before lets start threre.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By John Torbus
      Does anybody know what the standard adjustment is for the air screw on the carb? How many turns out from full in?
      Cheers,
      John

• By Trent Finnessey
      So I’ve got a 400ex with a dg slip on and it’s super loud (louder than you would think for a slip on) and it’s annoys my neighbors and just everyone in general. So I would like to know who makes the quietest exhaust for it. I have the stock muffler but I’d rather sell it than put that back on. thanks! 
    • By Trent Finnessey
      So I’ve got a 2000 Honda 400ex absolutely love it!! I’ve had it for about a month, I ride with bruteforce 750’s, outlander 850’s and 1000 sxs’s and I was thinking of getting a trx450r carb and a full hmf exhaust. And probably doing the air box mod too, how much power would this give my 400? Just a little different or a big difference? Cuz if it’s not much of a different I’ll just stick with my dg slip on..... thanks!
    • By dook
      I've been riding Suzuki Kingquad 300's for the last 20 years. I have 3 of them. I love the low gearing, low center of gravity, low rider position, low racks shaft drive and smooth ride, but they are getting old and I'm tired of fixing them. Best engineering of any utility quad, IMO, but the execution...build quality is not up to par with Honda, so the price you pay is lots of wrenching.
      I positively despise CVT type belt drives. My neighbor has a couple of old Hondas, Rancher and Rubicon and I admire the reliability of them. He does very little maintenance and they always run and have pulled my Kingquads home for me when they break.
      Is Honda the only company that makes ATV's that don't have CVT? I like the build quality but I don't like the high rider position caused by the vertical cylinder, the cold nature of them, having to warm up for several minutes and the plastic skid plates. I guess all modern ATV's have the same issues, though (correct me if I'm wrong).
      Been checking with the dealers, it seems Honda foot shift models are scarce. I really don't need devices/gadgets to decide which gear I need to be in. So I'm avoiding the DCT models. I must have IRS and EPS because of my age and physical condition though.
      Is it possible to get a Rancher with IRS, EPS and foot shift? The specs I'm reading show the rancher is 2" lower than the Rubicon. I'm assuming that to be seat height. With vertical cylinder design, the more you grow the engine, the higher you push the seat....at least that's my thinking.
      Any comments from the Honda experienced?
    • By WIJBIRD
      Good morning!
      I have a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 and I need to rebuild the carb. I have the dual-cable throttle model and I'm having a terrible time finding the correct kit for it. I'm not opposed to replacing it, but the only ones I'm seeing do not have the dual cable throttle system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Jay in WI

P.S. I can send pictures if necessary.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Timothy Doerr, Jr
      Hey y'all. I have a Yamaha ymf 250 BearTracker. I got this thing for free from people whose son tore it to hell. So it wasn't in great shape to begin with. i.e. no indicator lights (neutral light for instance), no ignition switch or key( wires were twisted together to make it run), get the picture yet? 
      So when it ran it ran rough and I got it running for a year or two, just something fun for the kids to ride on with me on gravels.
      Now just randomly, the start button stopped working so I had to jump the solenoid, then put a temp start switch in. Kill switch would still work. 
      However, the thing has no spark what-so-ever. I've check continuity through the start button and it shows the contact is working, ohmed out the stator, everything is in spec, the reg/rec tested fine as well. I've replaced the solenoid on the off chance it could've been bad and the cdi unit as well, along the the little solenoid relay unit. I'm still getting no spark. The spark plugs is new as well and the coils to the plug have been tested and are good. I've tested and trouble shooted everything I can on this quad and no luck. I watched countless YouTube "no spark" situation videos and it's not helped. Does anyone have any tips or tricks I could try? Would really appreciate some input on this. Thanks!
    • By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?
    • By chevyboy
      AL righty I did some trading around this weekend and ended up picking up a few 4 wheelers for cheap. I ended up with this one for $500 in it total and well the guy told me it dropped a valve. I haven't really messed with it at all. But this weekend I am going to try and start working on it some to get it running before winter time frame. So what I am asking is a couple of questions.
      1. First off where do I start I tried pulling the pull cord and could not get it to move at all.
      2. I need to get a service manual for this 4 wheeler where can I get it downloaded for free?
      3. what do I need to look for and how do I go about this really. I do have experience with 4 wheelers but this one is a little different to me than others because its a V2 and I have no clue where to start internal on the engines. Most of my experience is on the outside portion of troubleshooting on theses wheelers.
      Please no smart butt answers as i am new to here but just wanted opinions on where to start. Please and thanks wink:
    • By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.