Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jaysun

New rider. Busted my sprocket

Just got back from the motocross track, where I busted my quad (2008 KFX 450). Keep in mind that these may be stupid questions. I'm new to riding and don't know anything about anything.

The chain was a little loose, I believe, and I probably should've tightened it (not that I know how to tighten a chain) but I'm not sure if that came into play here. I took a jump and didn't let off the throttle. I over-revved the engine and the rear sprocket snapped off while I was in the air.

It looks like there are 4 bolts that hold the sprocket on and it appears that those bolts have been completely sheared off (see pics below). If this is just a matter of replacing these bolts, that would be awesome. Are these bolts meant to shear under pressure (like the shear pin on a boat propeller)? Also, in the side that still has nuts, that bolt is pretty skinny. The corresponding hole on the sprocket is much larger. Are these some sort of specialty bolts?

Am I not even in the right ballpark with these issues? I seriously have no idea what I'm doing here.

I appreciate any help.

1-3_1024_678_zps55ef74d9.jpg

1-2_1024_678_zps385e3755.jpg

1_1024_678_zps74df3848.jpg

I don't know what would have taken out all four bolts, but I would get a new sprocket. They are not that expensive.

Agreed ^ check the side play of the rear carrier also just spin the rear tires too. Any unusual play or noises might mean its time to replace bearings. Get a new front sprocket, rear sprocket and new chain so they can all wear together which makes em last longer. Make sure your chain slack is adjusted properly. You might of been on the tight side. When you jumped the weight of the swing arm and tires where carried by the sprocket.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

That is wierd ! It sheared all 4 bolts :confused: by the looks of that chain I`d get new sprockets and chain !!

Get a service manual for it !

I did some more research (including getting a manual) and, apparently, this is a fairly common issue with Kawasakis. They use 8mm bolts, as opposed to 10mm bolts used my other manufacturers, like Honda. I read stories of people shearing all 4 bolts up to 4 or 5 times a year. Drilling out 10mm holes seems to resolve the issue every time, but I don't have the tools or the know-how to do that. I just went down to Lowes and picked up some new bolts and washers. Worked great. I'll be back on the track this weekend.

I think the chain and sprocket are still in decent condition. I took these photos right after coming back from the track, so everything was still really dirty. But what do I know? Not much.

Until you drill out the holes, i would try to find the strongest 8mm bolts possible. Not the ones from Home Depot or Lowes but from a bolt manufacturer. At the very least keep 4 sets of nuts/bolts with you incase it happens again. That way you will only be down for a few minutes instead of loading it on to the trailer. Make sure the chain slack is correct too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Shawn Hurt
      I have a 2013 KQ I bought it new but rolled it a few years ago. I have replaced the left lower A-arm and left tie rod, the steering is still a little sketchy as I just eye balled the alignment. But the major issue is the left front tire cambers out at the top and has wore the tire bald. Tires have about 2000 miles on them but other 3 are half tread and left front is a slick.. I can not see anything else bent and don't know what to do..  
    • By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By lanow
      Hi Everyone,
      I am new to this forum and hope that someone out there can help me, I have an early Suzuki King Quad 300 (280cc) which starts intstantly every time but at about half revs or there abouts it starts spluttering and will not rev any higher, this fault is present whether choke is applied or not, some one suggested that silencer maybe be clogged so removed baffle but no improvement have removed carb and stripped 3 times but still no joy.
      Any ideas would be most welcome.
      Cheers Rob
    • By StolenATV
      1987 Suzuki LT 80 and 2007 Honda CRF 50 dirt bike stolen out of my driveway on July 4th. Anyone with info that recovers them will get $400 no questions asked.
      Thanks
      The post Suzuki LT 80 Quad And Honda Dirt Bike appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
    • By raybob
      replacing carb,, the bigger line on right side top of carb does it just vent to the air,, cant find where to hook it up to also I want to check the oil and gear oil I checked the oil in motor and the rear end my question is looks like allen plug on left side of motor if you are setting on the 4 wheller, ps it hs a oli leak any help would be great. Ray in kentucky
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By quadcrazy
      Check out Outdoor Rider Supply for ATV Parts & Accessories!
      Quad Fab, Inc developed the ATV/UTV industry’s only American made exhaust silencer over 15 years ago. Our reputation is built upon exceptional customer service from friendly people interested in helping customers. We have carried on our tradition of high quality product offerings and excellent customer service through Outdoor Rider Supply and OutdoorRiderSupply.com.
      Outdoor Rider Supply (ORS) was developed by Quad Fab, Inc. to supply ATV/UTV parts and accessories to our loyal and valued customers. We carry a unique line of products for your ATV and UTV. Our focus is riders who use their vehicles for hunting, farming, ranching, and recreational riding.
      We'd like to say thank you by offering the most user friendly website with the best customer service and shipping around. Our customers are very important to us and we strive to offer exceptional service. If for any reason you have a question or concern regarding the quality of service or the quality of a product, please Contact Us. We will do everything possible to make your experience with us quick, easy, and to your complete satisfaction.
      - The ORS Team
    • By copedaddy
      My wife has a well used 325 Trail Boss and recently she noticed there is a distinct rhythmic clicking or popping noise that sounds like its coming from the chain/ sprocket area. Increases with speed and happens in fwd or reverse.
      I jacked up the rear of the quad and rotated the tires and there is no sound when the drivetrain is unloaded. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to troubleshoot? Im new to 4-wheelers, so this might be something pretty simple but I just dont have much experience working with them.
      Would appreciate any help or suggestions
    • By AKmotorider
      How do I know when to replace them? I know it should seem easy and obvious, but I'm really at a loss here. My chain, when held sideways in mid-air, bends at a curved 90 degree angle. It seems pretty loose , i.e. everything moves kinda side to side. I'm guessing thats bad, however my sprockets look better. The rear sprocket has no curved teeth, however it is showing signs of slight wear because on one side of the tooth it is slightly curved and the other side it is slightly flat. Also, the front sprocket has slightly hooked teeth, but they are still thick. If all this stuff is "slightly", can I just leave it? Also, the rear sprocket hub has a couple cm's of free play forwards and backwards on the axle. Is that bad too? The chain seems like its the worst of all, but people tell me to not just replace the chain, but also the sprockets. I have three machines and cant afford to do that. Advice?
      On my dirt bike, the chain is exactly the opposite of the one on my YFZ. It is sturdy, and nothing really moves; however it seems so "sturdy" that the chain gets kinked in some areas. Instead of replacing the chain, can I just give it a quick oil and be done with it?
    • By theteacher
      Hello All, The KYRider site I was a member of for years has shut down. So, here I am. I currently own a 450 Kodiak with several mods and some yet to be installed. Tomorrow, I will look at a Blaster thats in great shape. It starts and runs great. However, It will not go into gear. Im pretty sure I can fix this relatively cheap. I have not priced Blasters in years but the asking price is $600 firm. Is this reasonable? Thanks,
    • By trev0006
      Scooter rider cuts Nissan mirror with grinder
      Scooter riders cuts Nissan mirror with grinder, guess he doesn't like to be cut off.
      and
      Motorcycle crashes into van and explodes
      Motorcycle crashes into van and explodes. Don't worry, the motorcyclist is fine. He ran a red light.
      and
      Gattling Gun Motorcycle Exhaust
      Gattling Gun Motorcycle Exhaust, this is cools with motorcycle backfiring it would look even cooler.
      and
      Motorcycle almost rear ended
      Motorcycle almost rear ended when a truck fails to stop and rear ends another car.