Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Hi from Australia,

This is all new to me, so I hope you can help as I go along.

I recently purchased a second hand Raptor 350 in mint condition, it was still running original tread. Anyway to get to the point, this is my first quad Ive owned but not ridden. The problem Im having is that when I hit the soft sand both uphill & down, it tries to do a 90* turn without my consent or knowledge. Ive had a few off track experiences so far & Im not that fond of trees. Any suggestions of how to remedy this. Any help is appreciated.

might need sand shark front tires or an equivalent. the front tires might be digging into the sand. Anyway possible you can get a video showing what happens?

Welcome to QC!!

Hi, tyres could be a problem ur right but the only problem is that I ride mainly on trails & its when I come across the sand its the problem which was a few miles of it last time, but I might not see sand for days at the same time. Dont want to wreck the tyres on harder stuff. Could wider "A" arms help do you think as it is stock in that sense.

is it that the rear of the quad wants to kick out or does the whole quad try to spin? If its just the rear your probably just over powering the front. is its the whole quad it might be something out of whack maybe even a bent suspension part or frame. when you ride the sand how are you positioned on the bike?

I try to keep my weight as far back as possible ( all 60 kg ) but it just wants to turn the front full lock & try & throw me. It probably wouldnt be that bad, but Ive only got my left arm that works & in control. My right arm sits in my pocket.

Ive been riding for many years on 2 wheels, but only about 1yr on 4 wheels. Its like its digging in at the front & turning hard full lock & with only 1 arm its a bit nerve racking :-)

First thing i would do is start from scratch. D/l a shop manual from quadcrazy and make sure everything is at its factory setting. Then check for frame straightness. With the wider a arms you might just magnify the under lying problem. Also ride with BOTH hands if possible.

Actually now that i think of it a steering stabilizer would be your best bet. Get the bike to its factory suspension settings, check frame straightness then order a steering stabilizer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Edited by marioweldinginc

I would LOVE to ride with both arms , but after hitting a tree & getting spinal damage my right arm is lifeless. Hence the "SwingArm" It just hangs.

I think your on to something with the stabiliser. Is that the same as a steering damper like they use on 2 wheels ?

And the reason I asked about wider A arms is I have a Chinese 250 & the front has a much wider track than the rear & although not as grunty as the raptor, I can throw it around a lot more & it feels a lot more stable.

I was going to suggest a steering stabilizer like on a 4X4 Id also get some one to look at the toe in/out on the front end two of our bikes have a toe in track and the other one is toe out. Id look at the toe out thing before spending good money on other parts. Just ring your local tyre place and ask them for their opinion. My lady had her hand crushed in a machine so we sort of under stand what it must be like, It dont take long for the vibrations to give her a lot of pain

I would LOVE to ride with both arms , but after hitting a tree & getting spinal damage my right arm is lifeless. Hence the "SwingArm" It just hangs.

I think your on to something with the stabiliser. Is that the same as a steering damper like they use on 2 wheels ?

And the reason I asked about wider A arms is I have a Chinese 250 & the front has a much wider track than the rear & although not as grunty as the raptor, I can throw it around a lot more & it feels a lot more stable.

Sweet Avaitar Pic !! is that ur house pet !!:wink: I didnt realize u rode with one arm !!sorry man ! A stabilizer will help some what !! I know that they make 4x4`s with power steering !! Riding a sport quad is a little different !!:confused:

I was going to suggest a steering stabilizer like on a 4X4 Id also get some one to look at the toe in/out on the front end two of our bikes have a toe in track and the other one is toe out. Id look at the toe out thing before spending good money on other parts. Just ring your local tyre place and ask them for their opinion. My lady had her hand crushed in a machine so we sort of under stand what it must be like, It dont take long for the vibrations to give her a lot of pain

Thanks for that, Ill look into it. I know what you mean about the vibrations, it sucks big time & there aint f..k all you can do. It doesnt stop me going full throttle though ! I payed for it so Im gonna use it :-)

Sweet Avaitar Pic !! is that ur house pet !!:wink: I didnt realize u rode with one arm !!sorry man ! A stabilizer will help some what !! I know that they make 4x4`s with power steering !! Riding a sport quad is a little different !!:confused:

I wish it was, it'd be a nice guard cat ! & hey shit happens. Riding a sport quad, FUN !

Petty its not a 450 but I wasnt sure if I could handle it 1 handed. Still lots of fun though. At least Im back out riding, thats what its all about after all.

So, how do you go with the brakes do you just use the foot brake? Dose it operate all 4 wheels

At the moment I only have the rear but am having a guy look at putting an equaliser valve & new line in so I have front as well. Yeah it does get a bit hairy sometimes just sliding & Ive had a couple of close calls with roos lying in the middle of the tracks ! So far its been ok but Im not gonna leave it that way thats for sure.