Quantcast

We are starting this topic so that members can share their view about ATVs; what they are used for, types, etc. This topic is intended to help new members and visitors and generally those that don't know much about ATVs and would like to learn. So anything you can add to this topic that you feel would benefit a new comer, please add a reply..:biggrin:

Great topic! I hope we can all be of help to new riders. Some of us grew up on ATV's so we don't really know what its like to be "new" to the industry. We need to be willing to help people enjoy their first times riding, and give them good advice so that we can be ambassadors for our sport.

New guys/gals, please ask questions, and give us some details. We all actually LIKE new people, and its always great to find riders nearby to go riding with.

The best help I can give is, go ride your friends quads, that way you can decide what you like.

If you don't have any friends that ride, think on what you are wanting to do with your quad, work, or play. Then research the different styles available.

Always buy a cheap quad for your first quad. You can always trade it in when you are ready to upgrade. There are many bulletproof models out there, and it is an easy way to get into the sport, without going broke.

Don't worry about power, there was a time when the 250cc quad was the most powerful on the market. Power just gets you hurt faster when you are inexperienced, it also hurts you when you are experienced too. There is plenty enough power in the 400-600cc range for just about all riders, especially beginners.

My list of picks for riders age 18+...

UTILITY QUAD, an '0something 350-400 Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki. Reason- they are all pretty easy to ride, and solidly built. Find a 4x4 you won't regret it.

SPORT QUAD, older 400ex. Reason- fun, quick, easy to learn on, and bulletproof.

BEST OF BOTH, 500 Polaris Scrambler. Reason, comfortable, easy to learn on, sporty, but also can work like a utility.

All these models can be picked up fairly cheap, and with maintenance can give you plenty of fun enjoyable ride time.

Every model has lemons, and every rider has favorites, but honestly I think those 3 quads are pretty good for a first quad.

I'd like to know what other members think about great starter quads, hopefully we can all be neutral and honest.

• Like 1

My top 2 picks if i was to buy new today would be either a Honda or Yamaha. Owned and rode both and find them to be great machines. Honda are a little more money than Yamaha, but equally as good IMHO. Yamaha seems to deliver more bang for the dollar.

Any of the major brands now are good machines and i would persuade everyone to stay away from the Chinese ATVs. Again, JMHO ...

• Like 1

Well, since no one else is chiming in.

Ox, what do you think about the Kymco quads? They have really been coming on, and of the Chinese quads, they are the best I think. I have ridden a friends GNCC quad, and I have to say its pretty a pretty good bike! They are also the ones building some of the 250cc quads for major manufacturers, I am not perfectly sure, but I think the Artic Cat, and Can-am 250's are based off of the Kymco Mongoose.

• Like 1

The first thing for me if I was a new rider would be to figure out if I want a sport quad or a utility. I started with a Yamaha Warrior (sport quad) years ago and since then have moved over to a utility because I like 4WD and the power of pulling and getting getting over stuff!

I think Yamaha, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, and Suzuki are all great and along the same lines where Honda, Polaris, CanAm differentiate themselves a bit more. All quality machines and will last as long as you take care of them.

Kymco and Chinese brands I'm not familiar with but am looking at maybe getting one for my 5 year old daughter to toy around with..:biggrin:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

My can am dealer also carries Yamaha and kymco. He feels the kymco is ok as a lesser expensive unit.

My wife and I were fortunate to attend a VIP event in Wisconsin last year. We tested almost every major players units in trail conditions as opposed to a small grassy area at the dealership.

We opted for can ams and are very happy.

• Like 1

Can"t go too wrong on a Canam

That's our feeling, but the Can am fit us best for our riding style. When asked, I tell folks to select the machine by riding one. It' the only way to really know.

What is right for me, is not right for another usually. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im new to ATVs. Rode buddies before but thats it.

My first is an 89 Yamaha Big Bear 350. A full time 4x4 utility with an auto clutch. I guess it depends on your riding. I love having a utility around the house. I do want more of a sports to jump over stuff when the mood arises, selectable 2/4wd would be nice. My neighbor has a newer suzuki 4x4. He rides butt on the seat on rocky terrain I need to squat for because I have a solid rear.

For a first quad I dont need more than a 350. I get over anything. 5up speeds, I top out a lot slower being full time 4x4, but I dont care about top speed but rarely when Im going down a road a bit to get to another trail.

Its an old quad, which suits my style, cheap, easy to work on. Unfortunately not a huge aftermarket for parts. I can still get OEM replacement parts though. Kinda pricey.

Might be biased since Im a mechanic, but the best first ATV is an older model with a good aftermarket and upgradable parts that fit from a newer model. (like switching to front disc brakes)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the ATV scene for sure. Was too poor growing up to afford one. A guy down the road had a little Kawasaki '85 185 for sale, wanted 700. Talked him down to 540 and off I went.

I have an ATC200s I've been working on, off and on, for a while now. So the basics I'm aware of.

I groomed the quad doing the usual maintenance you would need to do to expect a longer lifespan: Change air filter, spark plug, oil, alignment,battery. There is a small oil leak somewhere. Probably going to give the engine a good scrubbing so I can identify where it's coming from.

I went down to the pipeline with my kiddos and we had a blast. That's really what I got it for, to have fun with the kids.

I'm with you on the older bikes. Drop ~500 bucks, spend about ~100 cleaning it up, and you have a bike that will last a long time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I started with a 90s 280 Suzuki King Quad and prefer them for my kids. They started on smaller machines. But now can follow everywhere I go.

They are rather complicated to operate with the levers and shifting. It gives them an understanding how things work and what drive combinations they need to be in for a given situation. The drum brakes always suck which makes them pay attention. They are durable utility machine with ample luggage racks and go most anywhere.

(pausing on a fond memory of winching my buddys brand new Polaris 750 out of the same hole I just went trough on my 93 :laugh: )

I bought all but one broken for cheap. 2 required full engine and crank case tear downs. I am a mechanic. They were good winter projects and taught the kids to wrench. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to get. However, for the non-mechanical, I would tell new people to stay away. They are difficult to fix and the older ones break a lot. I think that is why you see so many sitting around. Once they broke, they were left to rot.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am having trouble finding out the model number for my 1986 suzuki lt230s cause the carb needs rebuilt and I don't know what model it is. Can anybody help me with this please I am new at this.

There should be a serial# or vin # on it somewhere !! Stamped on the frame !!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Casey Martz it really depends if you are going with an older quad or something new. In todays world the atvs/ utvs are going for insane amount of miles as compared to some of the old school bikes.  in my opinion anything with a Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, or Kawasaki badge on them are good bikes they have been around a long time and build quality. as for the old school. the older Hondas are great bikes. I have a 15 year old Yamaha Kodiak I love it. 12000 kms on it and works great. anything you buy maintenance is the key. all the best with your search

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Choosing an ATV can be overwhelming at first. There a ton of good and bad opinions about all the major manufacturers. The first thing you have to do is be honest with yourself about how you plan to use it. I've seen several friends buy machines they later regretted for this very reason. Some wanted mud machines, and quickly realized they only get into the mud a small percentage of their riding time. Others bought sport quads that weren't practical for woods and trail riding at our local trails. I was lucky enough to have one of each. When we rode dirt roads and fast trails I took the sport, for snow and mud trails i took the utility atv.

Now that I'm old and ride slower, I have one utility quad. Speed is no longer a factor, it's about the comfort for my aging body. I've owned ATV's from every manufacturer and there were things I loved and hated about all of them. They all have their pluses and minuses. Do your research, test drive as many as you can and most importantly, once you buy one enjoy it as much as you can! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love ATVs, in fact they are so awesome now days that I decided to build another golf cart atv, and Im converting a honda shadow v-twin 1100cc shaft drive bike into a monster atv. I have a couple of  bikes for donor parts. Im not as young as i used to be so itll take me a little longer to complete these projects, but I damn sure will!!

right now I have a kawasaki bayou 220 I just bought for $125. It runs but locks up after a few seconds. Im getting ready to pull the motor and open it up, so I googled and ended up here looking for a manual