Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

eaa53

Freewheel in neutral

Okay I know this sounds like a dumb question but should I be able to freewheel in neutral to move the Quad?

I have a CF500ES and I do not seem to be able to move it when in neutral, all the other quads I have owned allow you to freewheel if they are not in gear but as this is a new make to me and a very new bike I dont know if this is THTALS (Thats How They All Are Sir) or if I am missing something!:skeptic:

Yes I know how to change gear by activating the brake interlock to the gear change both into gear and out of neutral.

The only way to move it is to start it and engage a gear not always what you want.:aargh:

Anyone know if this is normal for CFMOTO bikes?

The quick repay is that the parking brake was seized on.

I checked the rear brake callipers but they were not the issue then I spotted a separate mechanical disk in the prop.

Rusted up and no lubrication.

Sorted.

wow, i never knew they (or any quad) had a parking brake like that ... i think you would have stumped everyone if you didnt spot the other disc ... glad you have it sorted now !!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought this scream of a deal the other day - a 94 King Quad 300 for $40.00.  It's been sitting outside with no carburetor on it for about a year.  Its rusty, missing some parts, wiring is all cut up and spliced etc.  No seat, no racks but the plastic is all there minus the headlight housing.  Anyway, who can pass up a $40.00 quad right?  I get it home and looked at the sight glass for oil level, it's about 1/2 oil and 1/2 water.  I drain it, refill it and turn the motor by hand (recoil starter is missing) and it turns over just fine.  I worked on the wiring for about an hour and got it to turn over with the electric starter and got enough of it sorted out to get a spark.  Did a quick compression test, 70 lbs.  Wet test bumped it up to 90.  Ok, so rings and cylinder washed out with water for a year, not too surprised.  I thought 'what the hell' and sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 2 seconds - enough to show  it's got life.  Since then the compression has gotten worse, I can't get enough pressure to activate the carb diaphragm, therefore no fuel pump either.  The compression is now around 60.
        Anyway, my question is....is it worth it to try to get this thing going?  I tore the top end down today and the cam and one of the rockers is pretty worn.  I figured a top end job would be about $100 or so, depending on the condition of the cylinder but I'll probably have to put a cam and rockers in it as well.  Doing some research on ebay I figure I'll have to spend about $500-$700 to make the whole machine right again.  Much less just to make it run and use as-is but I won't really like it until it's right.  I don't mind doing the work, I actually enjoy it but I'm concerned about what all that water did to the rest of the internals, I can't really test it all out until I can make it run.
      I know it's a basket case but I'm not into it much at all, even if I do the top end and find something else wrong I'm still not out much.  I'm leaning toward ordering the top end parts and going from there unless you can convince me otherwise - any way to check the rest of the internals without tearing it down?  I plan on flushing the oil cooler before I do another oil change, I've drained it twice now and it gets milky almost immediately just turning the starter - I suspect the oil cooler is polluted badly.

I'll get some pictures today if anyone want to see them.

thanks!
    • By Meg Sam
      Hi I have bought a Bashan bs200s-3 and I am wondering where I can buy parts for this as I need a full new wireing loom also does this model have reverse gear?
    • By Shane Pillar
      Talk about what kind of atv you have and what you do with it.
    • By dp19
      Hi, I'm a newbie on here.  I just got a 2007 Suzuki KingQuad LT-A450X.  Are there any specific issues to look for on this model?  Any specific maintenance to do other than the usual oil and filter changes?  
      Thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kingquad1
      Hello I am new hear. I just purchased a 1998 Big Bear. It was sitting for 3yrs in storage. The guy I bought it from got the carb cleaned and it runs good. I am having problems with the neutral light. When I shift into neutral the light does not come on. If I mess with the gear shifter, I can get it to come on so I can start it. I can still pull the hand brake and start it that way. I cant find the neutral safity switch on this machine. Any suggestions would be great.
    • By lulu
      neutral light does not come on when in neutral, engine will not turn over. have not found any bare wires or loose connections. not sure exactly where the neutral switch is located or how to replace it. battery is hot and reverse light works
    • By stevebula
      Hello,
      i have a baja 250u wilderness
      and the neutral light wont come on
      hence i cant start it unless i pull start it
      any input would be great
      thanks
      the quad is in neutral and rolls just no light and no start
      thanks again
    • By allens1
      I just bought this and the previous owner has disconnected the wires going to the cluster.
      I have found where one end has been cut. One is a sky blue and the other a green wire. I cant find where these connect to? When I ground either wire each light will come on.
      Any help would be great...
    • By Jonah27j
      I have a 2003 trx400ex missing the neutral switch wire the one that goes from the engine to the light green on the harness can I replace it with just any wire
      I am also missing the neutral light can I just plug the black and light green that go to the light together