Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

clipperson

Honda Recon, electrical, charging

Good morning all you quad motor heads out there. I bought my girls a Recon 250. nice quad except one thing. After riding the 2 miles to get to my house, my middle child stalled it. Cant get it to turn over. I can pull start it. And the battery is fully charged. My question is....I cant find an alternator or what is used to charge the battery. is it some type of solenoid? And if so is it that 2" square relay looking thing that sits behind the battery and the cables run through? or is that just a relay? And lastly, if that is not it, what am I looking for on the bike that charges the battery?

Thread moved to Honda forum.

its a stator, located behind the cover (sitting on the bike) at your left foot ....

check your battery while its running with a tester, if its not past 14V, you need a new battery.

an easy way to test the stator is disconnect the battery and pull start the bike. if your lights and dash lights up, its not the stator. could be the relay/solenoid. check the red cable (+) coming from the battery, there should be another cable running to the starter from that junction. if you can jump the 2 connections and it starts, its your solenoid/relay.

what year is your Honda?

Thanks bunches Oxi...going to get to that as soon as I get back from hardware store.

I have a 2006 recon that's not charging battery, just replaced battery and after riding it a lil while with lights on its dead, what should I check first?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By Jordan Ritzman
      What are some good online vendors for parts
    • By sandrider
      this is for any who knows the seattle area. i heard of a place called "riders lake", or at least i think that was the name, for a place to ride with lots of mud. i was told it was around Sultan. If anyone knows of this place, could you give me info on where it is and if its legal to ride. i will be heading over that way for a meeting and i was wondering if it woul be worth loading up the quad and hauling it over the mountain,
      Thanks
    • By Wes Camp
      So I bought an 88 qaudracer real nice bike fired up 2-3 kick everytime. When I bought it the brake calipers were not on the bike the guy gave them to me In a box with parts to rebuild. So I HAVnt ever really rode the bike except a quick run testing gears when I bought and I started it and drove in yard not getting out of 3rd due to no brakes. I put it in garage turned it off. The following weekend I put brakes on and go to kick it and it’s seized. I did put it in high gear and rocked it back and forth and got it to kick a couple times. But has seized back up. Any ideas??? Could it be a kicker malfunction??
    • By Shane Pillar
      Talk about what kind of atv you have and what you do with it.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kyboy
      Iam looking for help seperating the rear brake drum and the cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate
    • By patricknperkins
      Ok, so got this thing, assembled, and even added acid/assembled the battery with a solid trickle charge and the battery is fine.
      As far as I can tell, I have checked all the fuses I can find, but I have ZERO power to anything. Even the console will not light up when turned to ON.
      Is there some sort of hidden parental/child disconnect or safety switch that I'm not aware of? ANY help would be appreciated.
    • By lulu
      neutral light does not come on when in neutral, engine will not turn over. have not found any bare wires or loose connections. not sure exactly where the neutral switch is located or how to replace it. battery is hot and reverse light works
    • By biggreen2010
      ok it will start up an run but quits a lot till it gets warm, but has a bad miss an wont idle, I have a brand new Honda carb on it, good gas flow, new plug, but when I let the throttle go below a quarter, it backfires through carb an tail pipe:confused: so it has never had any electrical work or mechanical work done...it just started all the sudden, I'm think it may have ignition coil breaking down, or cdi box going bad...anyone had this trouble before? let me know what you did to fix it. thanks:skeptic:
    • By Flyman
      Good morning all I am new to the forum and new to the world of ATVs. I recently purchased a 99 big bear 350 4x4 that has a few issues to be resolved. it started with the push button starter it would just click when the button was pushed to date I have replaced the solenoid with a Napa 4 wire setup (not sure if this is installed correctly) and replaced the older baterry with a AGM battery. after all of that it still clicks but the source of the click is a white plastic rectangular box with 2 wires going into it. i have 12.8 volts to the first post of the solenoid and nothing on the second post when the button is pushed. when the solenoid is jumped the starter engages. lastly i have no lights when the buggy is not running and when i hit the light switch there is also a click that happens. Thanks for any info anyone can provide I greatly appreciate the help.
      Flyman