Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

AKmotorider

Chain and sprocket replacement?

How do I know when to replace them? I know it should seem easy and obvious, but I'm really at a loss here. My chain, when held sideways in mid-air, bends at a curved 90 degree angle. It seems pretty loose , i.e. everything moves kinda side to side. I'm guessing thats bad, however my sprockets look better. The rear sprocket has no curved teeth, however it is showing signs of slight wear because on one side of the tooth it is slightly curved and the other side it is slightly flat. Also, the front sprocket has slightly hooked teeth, but they are still thick. If all this stuff is "slightly", can I just leave it? Also, the rear sprocket hub has a couple cm's of free play forwards and backwards on the axle. Is that bad too? The chain seems like its the worst of all, but people tell me to not just replace the chain, but also the sprockets. I have three machines and cant afford to do that. Advice?

On my dirt bike, the chain is exactly the opposite of the one on my YFZ. It is sturdy, and nothing really moves; however it seems so "sturdy" that the chain gets kinked in some areas. Instead of replacing the chain, can I just give it a quick oil and be done with it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ATVNetwork
      Introducing the 2020 Yamaha XT-R editions of ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles featuring exclusive XT-R features like a factory-installed Warn Winch, advanced suspension, special-edition paint and color-matched wheels with extreme terrain tires, all Assembled in the USA for unmatched Proven Off-Road capability, comfort, and confidence. 
      YXZ1000R SS XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yYXZXTR 
      Wolverine X2 XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yX2RSXTR
      Wolverine X4 XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yX4XTR
      Grizzly EPS XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yGrizXTR

View full post
    • By Tahj
      Do I need to remove the balancer driven gear to remove the timing chain.
      If so, how?
      Thanks

• By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By Venom
      Hi All,
      Hoping someone will be able to help.
      I have a 2006 Kawasaki Prairie 700 with twin Keihin Carbs CKVR D32. The Rear Carb is leaking out the side during cranking. it is not the float bowl overflow. It is on the opposite side of the carb from the diaphragm. 
      I got this bike not running and someone had already messed with it. I took the carbs apart , cleaned and rebuilt. Everything went pretty easy.  It looks like it could be missing a small tube between the carbs but I have all of them listed in the service manual installed. See the pic for where it is leaking from...
      Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks.

• By Gunny
      Haven't posted anything in a while, but I do have a couple long video's you might enjoy ... I'll post the newest one now, and the other one later ...
      So ... Took a ride to an area I haven't been too in about 10 yrs. Don't remember it being as rocky as it was, and the parts I remember being really bad, although still bad, weren't as bad as my memory remembered ??
      We did 18.4 miles in 7 hrs and averaged 3.3 mph :drivingc: ... Man, What A GREAT DAY !! :woot:
      And some of you are gonna hate me, since this video is 19 minutes ... but I promise, it's not boring at all !! :toetap05c:
      We had great weather, lots of challenges, saw lot of deer .... and not one other person all day long !! :coolgleamAc:
      Make sure you change the video quality to 1080p for the best viewing enjoyment !! :seeyac:
      01 Oct 2013 - Taylors Fork Ride - YouTube
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By Travis Waller
      We just bought this about 2 weeks ago and the chain keeps popping off. I’ve dealt with 4 wheelers in the past but nothing with this chain setup.

• By rider001
      I installed a new stator due to spark problems. I re-assembled the minimum just to start it. Fired right up. However it would not shift, probably assembly error. I am attaching two pics, one is the crankcase left side and the other is the crankcase cover where the stator is mounter. I the cover pic I am pointing at a fork type part with two fingers. How should that be oriented for reassembly?? If you can see something else wrong in the photos let me know. Or could it be where the shifter rod goes thru the crankcase cover, the rod might of gone thru the case hole crooked?? For a quicker response email at byter1 at gmail.com

• By crankin
      This is the 4 wheel drive one. Does anyone know why this year has such a special carb? Is there a way to install a different type, like a 2 wd one or a Warrior?
    • By DPDISXR4Ti
      At the end of last Winter my snowplow cable broke and now I finally need to get around to replacing it. Original cable was 1/8" but I think I can upgrade to 3/16" - anyone have any experience there? It's a Yamaha branded plow w/ a Warn (I think) manual lift.
      There's a ball-end on the cable, so not sure if that complicates matters and I need to get a pre-made cable.
      Appreciate any insight