Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

cbbubby78

1995 Kawasaki Bayou 220 - Starter Issues

Wanted to see if someone could tell me if they think my problem is the solenoid relay or the starter itself. starts and runs fine with pull rope but if I try to use electric start then it will just barely drag over maybe once or twice and then stop just like it does when the battery is dead. battery is hot but just to make sure I even hooked up booster cables and still did same thing. does it sound like the solenoid is the problem or do I need new starter? checked fuses and they are still good.

^ What He said....Then after that have the battery tested. Hooking cables to it still might not help if a cell in the battery is shorted out.

I am working on cleaning the connections to the starter and frame now. Its not the battery, I took one off of another atv that I know is good and it still done the same thing. if after cleaning the connections it is still doing same thing, would I be better off replacing the solenoid or should I take the starter off and open it up to see if something is catching in it ?

i would think starter next, but clean the connections well and grease them (dielectric) and im sure youll be fine. my bike did the exact same thing from sitting and corroding ...

You could test the starter motor itself. Just jump it directly from the battery. If it cranks over fine, then go to the solenoid. If it cranks fine, then it's the relay. Probably a bad motor. You could pop it apart to make sure it's clean & inspect everything while it's apart.

It could. If the brushes are worn down shorter than they are wide, the brush could begin to cock inside its cage. If its dragging check the bearings or bushings too. Thats easy to check while its all apart. Partially assemble the starter & spin the armature with the brushes out of their cages then try it with them installed correctly.

**New Problem**

took the starter off and installed new brushes and now after putting the starter back on, the starter motor is spinning but the engine is not turning over. I am sure it is something I missed I just don't know what. anyone have any suggestions?

I can see what you are saying and how it would work but I don't understand how to go about shimming it so that it will stay in place.

Shim it, OR...If it has a one way bearing on the gear ( not sure if you took that apart ) make sure its installed correctly. If it has a bendix style drive , make sure that the helix is working properly. Does the motor turn over with the rope? If its doesnt turn over with the rope then Id suspect a one way bearing is either in wrong or its malfunctioning due to lack of use. Some designs have the one way built into the engine case where the gear engages. You could try praying it out with some cleaner to get it freed up. Again, Im sorta guessing cause Im not sure what design yours is.

Edited by Mudflap64
added content

I checked the gear that starter motor links to and it only moves clockwise. it starts no problem with pull rope.

Edited by cbbubby78

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.