Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

hello all, i've just been given a 2002 yamaha big bear 400, its not quite the gift horse it seemed to be.....:wink: turns out the frame is rather rusty and the front a-arms are fubar... carby is trashed too, ah well i've got plenty of time and a shed full of tools. biggest problem i have is that here in ireland the big bear 400 wasn't sold her so bits and bobs for them are thin on the ground, ebay is now my best friend

welcome to QC !! post up some pics of it !

just google a pile of rust and imagine some big bear plastics on it, that'll give you an idea of what it looks like!!!

i'll throw up some later when i get a few mins:wink:

My gosh....was it parked next to an ocean?? :-) Looks like you got your hands full, but yah cant beat free. Welcome to QC! Well help yah get it going.

actualy it was, not 1/4m from the atlantic....going to need some repairs and bits welded into the frame in places, i've a-arms for one side coming off ebay, seller put up pics of left side ones but reckons they are right side:skeptic: its holding me up getting the other side till i know what is coming!

rebuild continuing at a pace..... welding started on the frame, carb ordered, a-arms on way from the states with a throttle cable, just need a rear hand brake cable and a choke cable and i can start throwing it back together, it'll look as rough as a bears arse but be mechanically spot on!! (just like me):yes:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought this scream of a deal the other day - a 94 King Quad 300 for $40.00.  It's been sitting outside with no carburetor on it for about a year.  Its rusty, missing some parts, wiring is all cut up and spliced etc.  No seat, no racks but the plastic is all there minus the headlight housing.  Anyway, who can pass up a $40.00 quad right?  I get it home and looked at the sight glass for oil level, it's about 1/2 oil and 1/2 water.  I drain it, refill it and turn the motor by hand (recoil starter is missing) and it turns over just fine.  I worked on the wiring for about an hour and got it to turn over with the electric starter and got enough of it sorted out to get a spark.  Did a quick compression test, 70 lbs.  Wet test bumped it up to 90.  Ok, so rings and cylinder washed out with water for a year, not too surprised.  I thought 'what the hell' and sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 2 seconds - enough to show  it's got life.  Since then the compression has gotten worse, I can't get enough pressure to activate the carb diaphragm, therefore no fuel pump either.  The compression is now around 60.
        Anyway, my question is....is it worth it to try to get this thing going?  I tore the top end down today and the cam and one of the rockers is pretty worn.  I figured a top end job would be about $100 or so, depending on the condition of the cylinder but I'll probably have to put a cam and rockers in it as well.  Doing some research on ebay I figure I'll have to spend about $500-$700 to make the whole machine right again.  Much less just to make it run and use as-is but I won't really like it until it's right.  I don't mind doing the work, I actually enjoy it but I'm concerned about what all that water did to the rest of the internals, I can't really test it all out until I can make it run.
      I know it's a basket case but I'm not into it much at all, even if I do the top end and find something else wrong I'm still not out much.  I'm leaning toward ordering the top end parts and going from there unless you can convince me otherwise - any way to check the rest of the internals without tearing it down?  I plan on flushing the oil cooler before I do another oil change, I've drained it twice now and it gets milky almost immediately just turning the starter - I suspect the oil cooler is polluted badly.

I'll get some pictures today if anyone want to see them.

thanks!
    • By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
    • By YamahaBB350
      I have a Yamaha Big Bear 350 and the reverse doesn’t work, it shifts from low to high easily but it won’t go back to reverse. I’m new to this stuff, so I’ll take any help. Any ideas? 
    • By mothrottle
      The VIN on my 2018 Kodiak 450 is not where it's supposed to be. I bought this used. Is there another "hidden" location where I can find it? Need the number for insurance co. Thanks in advance.
    • By Hondasher
      I picked up a 1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 2X4 a week or so back in non running condition, apparently they said it needed a new carburetor or a battery, I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly and got it running on idle and without choke now and it shifts into all the gears even into reverse. Aside from making me bounce a little when trying to start out with a bit of throttle the shock suffice to say needs work. Anyways I made a video of it running and would like your opinions on it, as to how it sounds while running. It seems like it has a little whine I'm not sure why that is maybe someone can tell me what it is. Anyways here is the video.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By SlickRock
      Found this site by accident, looks like a good place to hang out. Ive looked around and I can see that there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here. Hoping to get to meet some of you and swap stories.
      Slick Rock
    • By Nor7
      I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. You'll probably be hearing alot more from me since I just bought my first ATV and I'll be hitting everyone up for advice and what not.
      Oh, and the model is either a late 80's or early 90's QuadRunner 250.
    • By SwingArm
      Hi from Australia,
      This is all new to me, so I hope you can help as I go along.
      I recently purchased a second hand Raptor 350 in mint condition, it was still running original tread. Anyway to get to the point, this is my first quad Ive owned but not ridden. The problem Im having is that when I hit the soft sand both uphill & down, it tries to do a 90* turn without my consent or knowledge. Ive had a few off track experiences so far & Im not that fond of trees. Any suggestions of how to remedy this. Any help is appreciated.
    • By osufans
      Hey all. Long time quad owner here, but first time I've joined a forum. Looking to gain some knowledge on my quad, and just get some ideas for whats out there.
      I generally just use my quad for utility stuff around the home. Hauling, plowing, etc. However, I've been trail riding a few times, and recently rode a buddy's KindQuad. I was floored at how improved IRS rides over a solid rear axle, and am generally just looking to get some ideas how to improve my ride.
      Thanks!
    • By Nolimit83
      my name is robert. Nice to meet everyone. I have a 2010 Kawasaki prairie 360cc quad. I was searching for information online and found this wonderful website.