Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Biscuit

crooked mechanic--250 quadrunner

Hello all,

I took my atv to a local mechanic to have him look it over (it's been sitting up for a while) I only wanted him to look it over and replace the battery. 2 days later I go by to check on it and he has TAKEN THE ENGINE OFF!! he says that he was cleaning the fuel tank and had to take the engine off to do that. Now this is a gravity fed tank, I'm not a mechanic but I think he's full of it. Plus he says he won't put it back together or continue to work on it and wants $200 just to give it back to me! Your thoughts??

if he gives it back and running decent, then it could be 200 well spent ... JMO ...

i can understand what you are saying about the look over too ... that would kinda grab my goat ...

Hello all,

I took my atv to a local mechanic to have him look it over (it's been sitting up for a while) I only wanted him to look it over and replace the battery. 2 days later I go by to check on it and he has TAKEN THE ENGINE OFF!! he says that he was cleaning the fuel tank and had to take the engine off to do that. Now this is a gravity fed tank, I'm not a mechanic but I think he's full of it. Plus he says he won't put it back together or continue to work on it and wants $200 just to give it back to me! Your thoughts??

Sounds shady to me !!:yes:not knowing his shop rates 200 isnt to bad ! glad i try to do my own work !

What exactly were you having problems with? You said it had been "sitting up for awhile"? If all that you needed was a quick look over and a new battery, there shouldn't really be a reason for the mechanic to keep it at the shop. Does the mechanic work for a local small business, or is it a dealership repair shop that you are having issues with? Regardless, I think I would ask to speak to a manager before paying anything.

I own a 89 quadrunner 4x4 and even if you have to remove the tank, I don't think it has anything to do with the the position of the engine. unless the tank would need to be dropped straight down to be removed, in that case the carb and head would be directly in the way

well, with shop rates upward of $60.00 per hour, it does not take long at all to eat up $200.00. but,IF removing the fuel tank REQUIRED removing the engine, they certainly should have notified you. most states have regulations on what a MOTOR VEHICLE REPAIR center can, and can not do. if i were you, i would check into them. at least in my state, a motorcycle/atv/snowmobile/ etc. repair center MUST be licensed, AND they have to follow the guidelines. if they do not, they can only charge you a certain set amount ($20.00 here), and they HAVE to give you the machine back in the condition it was in when it was brought in. obviously without being privy to all the specifics, and the laws in your state, i really can not say for certain if they are trying to pull a fast one on you or not. but, it certainly sounds to me like they are NOT playing by the rules. a quick phone call to your automotive licensing bureau would spread some light on the subject.

I agree with xwrench. There should of been a work order created when you dropped off you quad. On that work order should of been what you wanted done no more no less. I had an engine that was taken apart by a previous "Famous race shop" I found a second honest race shop. At the second shop, every time I had work done, a work order was created and signed by me. Even if i wanted to change my mind during the build a new work order was created to reflect those changes. Also on that work order was my price. If the builder ran into a problem and needed to charge me more or less guess what it was on the work order with my signature.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Jade Dockery
      Hi, my names jade 25. Western NC Mom of two young boys. Who wouldn’t have a fourwheeler if I hadn’t picked up learning about what it took to repair a China 110 quad. That lead to a passion of atv repair. 5 months in and I’ve learned quiet a bit and interested in helping and learning how to fix my current Honda 87 250x that’s been through some hands as well as a china 50cc dirt bike that’s been rebuilt on the outside and soon learn how to replace valve stems and piston rings. 
    • By Gunny
      Here's a short video of 3 different days of some of my spring & early summer riding. Hope you enjoy it.

• By mikeexplorer
      Actually have a long weekend off, usually we work the holidays but the plant shut down to install a new switchgear so lucky me! Took a ride on an old railroad grade that is now a recreational trail and legal to ride. There are a few places to stop and get something to eat. Michelle is driving her old quad, a 2010 366 which I kept as a backup machine. Her Alterra developed a hard starting problem at Snow Shoe, so it will be off to the dealer to adjust the valves. Was good to give this machine a nice long cruise run as it doesn't see many miles anymore.

• By fede hanssen
      Hi all,
      I have just got a 1995 Bayou 220 from my brother. It is in decent condition ant it has not been used much, yet it has been sitting idle for a long time (4+ years).
      The plan is to overhaul it and move it to a location where it will be used 4-6 times a year, so, beyond having the battery charged, the idea is to have it ready and in good condition. It will be stored in a steltered place while waiting to be used.
      My questions would be: 1. What things should I carry out as basic overhaul tasks / 2. What are the typical aches, things to watch out for in this model/year.
      I definitely plan on changing all the fluids, filters,  battery, cleaning the carb, etc. but any specific recommendation from your experience will be of great help.

thanks in advance!
    • By Christopher Middleton
      I was given a "Go-Kart" its an old Carter brothers dlx150 but the engine is not the same that came with this Kart. I am trying to ID it so i can look at getting some parts for it. the pictures attached are of the motor and the only ID marks on it. I am thinking its some sort of 200cc from the 1980's does anyone have a better Idea? I am really trying to get a rebuild kit for the carburetor. on the carburetor is  Keihin 63 AA YKT

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By chevynova
      I have a 1988 Suzuki quadrunner 250 4wd it will run if I pop start it but it will not run if I elec. Start or pull start I repair crab four times I got spark compression is good . When it is running it runs fine but I let the gas go it dies please help thank you
    • By greatwhite
      My 2000 suzuki quadrunner 500 has a leak at the rear of the crank case cover. You can see the oil very lightly spitting out when you look at it from the rear. I first found the bolt loose and I tighten it just lightly (I think they say 8 ft pounds). That stop part of the leak, but you can still see it coming out at the gasket between the two halves.
      I am mechanically inclined, but was just wondering if there are any surprises I might be aware of when I take off the pull cord assembly, shifter ext.
      Do you think there could be any other issues when I get it apart?? Doesn't appear to be any crack and I can see it just slightly spay out right in one little spot where the bolt is.
      Any help is appreciated.
    • By oldandnew
      morning all, looking for a little help...i have little and none experience with quads, am fairly handy with diy on my truck and car so im not totally engine illiterate lol...was given an old quad, had to tow start it to load it. took it home, checked the oil, plug, carb, air filter, battery...hhmm...drained and flushed fuel tank, new fuel, spark is good, tried to battery start, wont start, tow start and off i went. warmed the engine, half hr burn, came home, wont idle and died. started off battery with thumb throttle pumping. cool! wont idle died. damn. started again off battery with thumb pumping. back in business? shut it down. checked over machine, lookin good for a free new toy lol...next day wont start...hhmm..found fuel puddle on my garage floor. traced it, carb overflow. easy fix, dirty gas means dirty carb. removed carb painstakingly slow (first time on a 4 stroke carb) and cleaned outside. on to bench, started stripping, fairly simply carb, removed floats, needle valve, jet, inspected, washed thouroughly with brake clean and blew with compressed air to dry. put together. installed. tried to start. wont start. fuel puddle on floor and that brings me here...pls help...where do i go from here?
    • By redmomat
      I have a 1994 Suzuki quad runner 250 4x4 the problems im having is that when I start it it idles really high or really low but when I shift into gear it idles fine and then when im driving if it has below half a tank it has the tendancy to die and then I have to blow into the breather tube of the gas cap then it will start up do u have any suggestions