Quantcast

2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650 - Carb Help

bodatiouskid

The carbs need 2 be in sync and he should check the intakes and vacuum lines for any leaks

I have the same machine only a year newer and I know if any of the lines

Are bad or not hooked up rite it will do that,

The mechanic told me all Kawasaki Prairies do that.If so,how does Kawasaki sell these Prairies?

I just think after paying $950 to someone it should run right.I trail ride & hunt,& my normal throttle is 1/4-1/2 & thats where the problem is.

My prairie rairley pops ... Only if really cold choked... The carbs have to be in sync if not it can cause

It to pop like that... Also any air leaks in the system will cause it...

I would take it back and demand it to be fixed rite..

If not I would take him to small claims Cort and get my

Money back or atleast u could get some of it back

I have owned several of the Kawasaki v-twins an never had an issue

And I ride with a v-twin club and work on several of the machines

If u want to go to kawasaki forum they can also tell ya about it

I have raced mine and trail ride it and use it for work and hunting..

My prairie rairley pops ... Only if really cold choked... The carbs have to be in sync if not it can cause

I had a 04 Suzuki Twin Peaks(made by Kawasaki) that never did that.Am going to call Kawasaki Monday.Does anyone know the number to call to make sure I have the right one?(949-460-5688)Mechanic told me that was normal for Kawasaki to spit back through carb at certain RPM.

It's a common issue with the v-twinn ... But it can be fixed if you know what you

Are doing ... Or if you take it to some one that knows what they are doing...

It's usually a combination of carbs out of sync adjustment ... And a leak in a vacuum

Line or intake sucking air...

When you had the carbs rebuilt they may of not got the lines on rite or the are not sealing

The carbs also have to be in sync and drawing the same or it will also cause it to pop like that

If it was me I would find a mechanic that knows what they are doing on the v-twinn

• 3 weeks later...

Get This:I called Kawasaki & explained my problem:aargh:.They said it was normal for those carbs.NORMAL?

Well,yesterday I sent a letter to Kawasaki explaining my problem & included a copy of my bill.Well see what comes up next!

Edited by bodatiouskid
misspelling

Hello guys I am new here and this is my first post. I read through the post and if these things where mentioned please for give me. I have a few KAWIs. 02 Prairie the plunger on the enrichners stick. i realize you just had them cleaned. for $950 they had better been gold plated. timing chains are weak in those engines as well. all of mine will pop back some then i clean them. It is normal and very common, but to me not acceptable. pilot jets get stopped up way too easily. i always run sea-foam and it helps. Tech was right they all pop and spit and sputter some. 2002 had recall on the air filter system too. I can clean/rebuild sync prairie carbs with new kits for less than $200.00. $750.00 you wud of had to use on anger management! you could run crossover intakes and rejet pop is gone!

how about replacing the carb diaphrams?(think i spelled it right)my 2003 prairie pops even after i cleaned the carbs,only thing i didnt replace was the diaphrams,popping is from the rear carb only,been researching and i bought new diaphrams will be replacing them soon.i also run gas treatments and highest octane i can find,helps a little.

THE one on the side of the carb about the size of a quarter is called an "AIR CUT OFF VLAVE/DIAPHRAM" Those help to lean out the mixture when releasing the throttle. when you let off the throttle you hear a plop,plop,plop in the exhaust. this is afterburn. Unburnt fuel igniting in the ex pipe. I would look to Kehin for some replacements b4 i would Kawi. CROSS THEM OVER TO HARLEY DAVIDSON. LOT CHEAPER SAME PART.

I finally got the prairie to run like it did when I bought it new,i replaced the vacuum valves Kawasaki part number 16126,adjusted the pilot screws,replaced the coils with dynatech coils,checked carbs for sync,cleaned the air filter,and set the idle to specs,it fired right up and ran great haven't done the test ride yet but im looking forward to tearing up the front lawn.

also did a lot of reading and research on the subject,hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/25/2013 at 8:54 PM, TEXASBAGMAN said:

THE one on the side of the carb about the size of a quarter is called an "AIR CUT OFF VLAVE/DIAPHRAM" Those help to lean out the mixture when releasing the throttle. when you let off the throttle you hear a plop,plop,plop in the exhaust. this is afterburn. Unburnt fuel igniting in the ex pipe. I would look to Kehin for some replacements b4 i would Kawi. CROSS THEM OVER TO HARLEY DAVIDSON. LOT CHEAPER SAME PART.

Thank you for that information I seen they look the same but when I called Harley dealers they got butt hurt about asking 4 Kawasaki parts

PS thread back from the dead

On 4/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, p19124 said:

Thank you for that information I seen they look the same but when I called Harley dealers they got butt hurt about asking 4 Kawasaki parts

PS thread back from the dead

The cv slides that the showed me are to big