Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jrgrtx

1989 Yamaha Big Bear 350 - Neutral/SafetySwitch

Looking for a little help. I have an 89' Big Bear that DID run like a top. Always was garage kept. Recently, the neutral light began getting harder and harder to come on. I'd make sure it was in neutral, rock it a few times and boom, it would come on. Then it began getting harder and harder to get to come on until now, it won't come on at all. I changed the little switch at your left heel below the engine, changed the wire out that leads to the switch, etc., but still nothing. Not sure if this means anything but the master cylinder at your right hand is out and doesn't work at all. I recently adjusted the back brakes and did a little bit of clean up on it. I changed out the shaft CV boot which is why I had to re-adjust the back brakes. After all that is when the neutral light slowly started going out. Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a way to bypass the switch? Could it be something with the brakes or master cylinder? I appreciate the help.

does it still start when the brake is applied? i thought there was something on the rear brake side that worked with the safety switch too. here is the manual http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/yamaha-atv-forum/11168-yamaha-atv-service-manuals.html , post number 3. seems weird that a new switch isnt working, are the connections good in the dash pot?

No sir. When brake is applied it still wont' start. Used to be able to shift it into neutral, rock it back and forth a few times and the green neutral light would pop on. Slowly it got to where it just wouldn't come on at all. I've had the brake applied, the switch out, grounded and depressed, voltage check, etc., etc. and I cant get the little freakin' light to come on at all. Thank you for the manuals, I'll look through them.

that switch is activated by a detent on the shift drum (IIRC) the hand brake (on the left bar) is a safety over-ride allowing you to start it in gear. If neither one is letting the electric start operate then you could have a bad ground to the neutral light or a bad solenoid, or a bad starter, or the start switch is bad.....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Colin Davis
      I recently acquired a Yamaha bear tracker 250 that does have a wiring harness.  Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the 250s. Also if you have a pin diagram that tells be the colors of the wires going to the cdi and rectifier or just a picture of the plugs would be much appreciated. I can’t find anything on the harness online. I have all of the switches and stuff and I plan on just build a harness myself because I can’t find one to buy.

• By Tiffany Rowland
      I am working on a Honda sportrax I just got my daughter for get birthday and the reverse and neutral light are not working. When I traced the wire down I saw that it wasn't plugged in but I don't see where it is supposed to connect. Does any one have a general idea of where I should look?

• By payne
      Have an Bear Tracker 250. Dont have the manual or any literature to help with. Anyhow, starts with pull start in gear, and electric starter doesnt work. Also, neutral light doesnt come on. Where should I begin?? Need some direction on troubleshooting all this. Thanks a million.

• By Duane Steward
      I purchased a CDI box from Ebay that was listed as the one for a 200trx with round plug.....when I plugged it in the reverse light stays on.....what did I do wrong ? or is it just a bad CDI box?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Guythis448
      Looking for help on wiring up stock wiring harness specifically for a '88 Honda TRX 300 
      If anyone could drop a link or send me a PM it would be much appreciated 
    • By M0BJT
      Hi Everyone
      This is my first post and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me solve a problem I have with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Fitted with a Mikuni Carburetor . The year of the quad is around 1998, the reason I am not sure of the date is, there wasn't any paperwork and no details on the frame either.
      The quad had a bad leak from the carb overflow which indicated that the float needle valve was blocked or passing so I replaced this and put everything back together. The quad ran really well until I took it onto some rough ground to have a ride around, a few hours later the engine started to run really rough as if the engine was flooding. I have removed the carb again and cleaned the needle valve out and the whole of the carb just in case there where any dirt behind it. Engine now runs fine again but fuel has started to run out the carb overflow again.
      I have tried everything to try and stop the fuel leaking out the overflow but its still happening. My last thoughts where to adjust the float level and its still happening.
      Has anyone got any thoughts on the problem or could suggest whats causing the fuel leaking out the overflow.
      Thanks for reading
      Kevin
    • By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you
    • By mallen14
      Looking for anybody who can point me towards a free service manual for 1998 Big Bear 350. I found the sticky thread but all the links, from 2012, no longer work. If anybody has one please let me know. Thanks