Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Porps2001

2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 - Ignition Probs

My "08" Arctic Cat 650 H1 runs (plows or runs a trail) great for the first 15 minutes. I can get all the power needed. It starts cutting out when it gets warm/hot. There is no heat error and plenty of antifreeze, new spark plug and air filter. Not sure where to go from here. New coil? Have the valves checked? I would take it to the shop, but the waiting list is 3 weeks and I need it to plow snow.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Porps

Thats exactly what it does. I can stop plowing for 10 minutes and it does just fine for a while.

I will replace the coil and see what happens.

THANKS!!!:biggrin:

Got the coil installed just in time for 15 degrees and snow. The bike ran fine for quite a while.

BUT, starting cutting out again. It might have run longer because it was 15 degrees instead of 30 something. The snow was also much lighter. Either way.....I am chasing this problem with money!!!!! Could the belt cause this?

i always ran a hotter plug in my hondas thru the winter, it helped with starting and stalling after it was warmed up in the colder weather. i just had to remember to change it back once the warmer weather came. if you are running ngk, go down 1 number for the hotter plug. a spark plug isnt a whole lot of cash to put out ...

I don't mind trying that, but it was cutting out in the late summer too. Its only after it warms up or gets hot. I would take it to a dealer if I could get it back sooner than 3 weeks. I have had this bike since it was new in "08". It just started this within the last 6 months.

i had heard sometimes guys that have problems with codes and such, have unhooked the cdi pin connector for 12-24 hours to kind of reset everything. i wonder if that might work? at first it sounded like the coil, but if its still doing it, it sounds like it might be the cdi box itself ... swampcat07 is the go to guy here but i havent seen him on in quite awhile now. ill ask ck1999_400ex when he is on here ... maybe he has some insight

CHEAP LED SPARK TESTER ON THE PLUG WIRE AND WATCH FOR A MISFIRE. I am taking a guess at this, That ATV IS carbed correct? It has an eletric choke? If so this choke is automatic? Its heats up over a period of time and closes the enrichner circuit. You said it starts cutting out, could it be flooding from the choke not working right? Black smoke? simple ohm test should tell you good or bad on the choke. Describe the cutting out loss of power? spiting sputuring, back firing etc? Just wont take throttle?

I had a gy6 engine in a Hammerhead buggy had bad electric choke. after 20 mins it ran like crap. study up on it in the manual. 3 months b4 parted out a 2005 ACAT 400 and remebered it had similar choke on the caRB! TRIED TO USE THE acat ck ON THE BUGGY ETC...

Yes it is carbed. That scenario makes sense. The spark plug smells like gas if you pull it when the problem happens. I figured there was not enough spark.

New float and carb rebuild did the trick so far. Plowed some deep snow this morning with no problem.

I had plenty of power after it got warm. I have never had a carb do that to me only when it got hot!