Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

rockwell16

ATV oil what to use?

I use polaris brand oil for my you guessed it my polaris scrambler 01 500 2x4 its great tell me what you use sometimes i use other stuff but you have to watch out with atv oil some makers in production get dust and dirt in the oil and sometimes even metal particles

I use only Arctic Cat oil in my 650 H1, but I plow and do other heavy duty stuff with it. That oil is more expensive than gold!

My Honda 250 EX however....I run whatever is on sale. We have 2 of those and have never had a problem with either bike. I have only replaced tires, spark plugs and oil for almost 10 years.

Depends on the type of ATV. If it has a VT driven transmission that is seperate from the engine(or has its own oil) then automobile oil of your choice in the proper viscosity will work. Any 5speed clutched or semi-auto with a constant mesh transmission, clutch, and or centrifical cluth should only use ATV/MC oil. POLARIS IS VERY PARTICULAR ABOUT THE FRONT DIFF OIL. IN A 4x4! POLARIS AND ROYAL PURPLE ARE GOOD FRIENDS I THINK.

I only use rotella 15-40 in air cooled machines

And rotella 10-40 in water cooled machines

I'm a mechanic / tech on autos and atvs/motorcycles

And have used the rotella in all my machines for the

Last 10+ years and also put it in every machine I do

oil change service on.. In my shop..

Using automotive oil in ATV/MC causes serious damage. In automotive vehicles, the engine is always separate from the clutch and transmission so they have separate oils for each. In automotive engine oil, there is more of what is called "friction modifiers" to help lessen the amount of friction on engine components and improve fuel economy. Of course, improving fuel economy has always been the main goal of the automotive industry making friction modifiers a necessity for all automotive oils.

These friction modifiers that are added to automotive oils are what cause serious damages when used in motorcycles. The friction modifiers clog the clutch plates in a motorcycle's transmission causing serious clutch slippage and disabling the ATV/MC ATVS AND MC to be as compact as they are, they have to combine their engine and transmission into one casing. This means that everything is lubricated by only one type of oil including the valves, piston, transmission, and clutch.

ATV/MC require very little and/or no friction modifiers to help improve clutch friction and to prevent clutch slippage. But to make up for this lack of friction modifiers, motorcycle oils use higher levels of anti-wear additives such as ZDDP, also known as phosphorous, to limit engine friction and wear. Since ATV/MC oil has extra anti-wear additives and is lubricating so much more than automotive oil, you can expect to pay anywhere from $9 to $15 a quart. COPY&PASTE

Thanks TEXASBAGMAN! Should I be worried about the Hondas? From now on I will follow your advice!

Thats a good point about Hondas! I have a RINCON 650 here for repair. Runs wont move. I dont know a lot about these Hondas. I do believe they have a unique drive system works off hydralic pressure from engine oil.

Most engine damaged is done when you start your engine not while its running! Mercedes and or Bmw maybe others use electric oil pumps to circulate the oil in the engine the secoud the key hit the ignition. I am not up to date on auto and oiling!

LOTS OF PEOPLE like and use ROTTELLA. changing oil with car oil is way better than NOT changing it. I have put a many of quart of car oil in a many of ATVS MYSELF! Seen the old timer change the filter and add a quart to old farm truck and drive it tiill the wheels fall off. Who knows what is really in that plastic container. I have not tried AMSOIL PRODUCTS. other than had a 2 stroke kfx80 and used AMSOIL IN IT, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. 3 thing i would bet the farm on are CASTROL,ROYAL PURPLE AND SEA-FOAM! that SEA-FOAM is pure magic!

If the oil has a jaso ma rating on it, it fine for wet clutch atvs no matter who makes it. As I said above i use rotella t6 now but was previously using rotella t 15-40.

I Only use Rotella T6 synthetic 15w40 its very good stuff. It will serve all your lubrication need well and protect you valuable engine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dan Ellsweig
      Greetings
      I have a 98 Polaris Magnum 425. Runs GREAT for 10 minutes then starts to load up (sounds rich) and looses power. Final;ly just stalls out on idle. If it sits 20 minutes will run again.

replaced fuel, added fuel treatment (seafoam), Replaced plug (carbon fouled), plug wires, air and fuel filter, checked all fuel and vac hoses, REPLACED carb with new. Still no good. Just ordered a coil, not sure if that will help
      Note: both the new and old carb only had the idel adjuster screw - cant find the jet adjustments or air/fuel mix screws so I cannot say how they are set.

Looking for ideas short of spending big $$ on Polaris service

HELP?????

Thanks

Dan
    • By Tyler Reed
      Came here for help, If it’s in the wrong place I’ll move. I’ve got a 2000 model Polaris Magnum 500 that runs strong as can be for about 25 mins until warm, then sputters and loses power. Took it to a shop and they say it’s low compression and they will have to swap the entire engine. Seems a bit much and costs more than the entire bike. Was wondering if anyone has seen this and what the fix was. When I hear compression I think of gaskets, not an entire engine. Seems like if it was that bad it wouldn’t have power cold. I’m at a loss. Any help is appreciated greatly. 
    • By Frank Angerano
      So with this mess going on outside and the stay at home thing happening i wanted to ask who's getting what done around there house, apartment and property or toys? 
        I honestly cannot believe what my wife and i have accomplished over the last few weeks.   Unfortunately we have worked ourselves out of work!!!    I have to give all the credit to my daughter for the below listed work. She came to me a few weeks back and said daddy since we are stuck in the house can we do my room over.    I was in a keep away from everyone hunker down and lets just get through this Coronavirus mess.  She changed the entire direction of our mood and how we would push through this.    I have painted all the kids rooms and did a make over per say for each of there rooms. While the painting shit was out i decided to continue and paint the moldings over with one coat of semi gloss in the entire house.    After that we decided to tear the closets and drawers apart and sort out all clothing, donate what we are not keeping etc.  I picked up a couple of shoe racks to organize my sneaker collection from BJ's $20 bucks for a 3 tier rack.    Cleaned every nook and cranny of the house, windows, walls, radiators, ceiling fans you name it including pulling the furniture out and getting behind everything! (Scary back there) lol.   Shit we even did the inside of the oven with easy off!  That stuff is no joke btw..... I assure you we are clean people but after pulling the furniture out and the oven and refrigerator i have to say we need to do better with that shit.     We decided to go  to the back yard and see what we could do. I went ahead and painted the foundation walls, added mulch and set the furniture up, bbq included.  I added some cool light stringers across the yard as well from Amazon.      We are looking at what to do in the front of the house next.     We made a list and tackle a little each day, Saturday and Sunday are big task days. Im still working so afternoon tasks are maybe an hour or two each day.   We have been very productive to say the least.  I feel like this is the perfect time to make the best of a bad situation and it keeps our mind off of the shit going on in the world while we work.     This may sound like a lot but making a list and tackling realistic goals at the end of each day works well. Plus a lot of 🍺  and 🍷!!!!! The kids have been helping out big time and we try to keep it fun.    We hopefully will never have the chance to do this again but i was wondering who's doing what if anything at all.  Our regards go out to anyone that have been affected by this virus weather it be family or friends.    I recommend making early trips to Home Depot and BJ's and the grocery stores to stay away from crowds and lines, its a ghost town early in the morning.      Believe  it or not that Suzuki Eiger is fixed but still needs to be put back together and here i am on Quadcrazy asking who's doing what around the house but the Suzuki can wait for a little while. 
        Keep ya head up and stay motivated!!!!      
    • By Jack.hart
      Need help with a 2007 polaris phoenix 200 no spark new cdi,new ignition coil,checked resistance on pulse coil and stator,not getting power to start button now guessing the solenoide went in all the testing not sure.also have three ground wires to battery is this normal or..?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Cody Smith
      Does anyone know the exact name of this part? Bottom of tire is tilting in Under the bike and top or tire is tilting out away from the bike. Not terrible but it’s a little 90 for kids want to make it safe. Just need to know exactly what the part is called. 

• By Sombeech
      I shot this footage last weekend. We ran a Honda Foreman along the beach and had a great time wakeboarding.
      Helmetcam footage.
      There is also a download link for the YouTube Challenged employees at work.
    • By Arizona
      Went shopping on Saturday, picked up another Kawasaki Bayou 220 and a Yamaha Timber Wolf 250
      I really should sell some of these but they are a lot of fun to find, fix and ride
      Of course neither of them run but that's part of the fun!  Az

• By oxidized_black
      these are what i have in my collection ... always looking for more
      Linhai (german)
      http://rapidshare.com/files/3880403675/Linhai%20(german).rar
      Linhai 250 - 360 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/582921063/Linhai%20250%20-%20360%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 - 300 Parts Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/1587211864/Linhai%20260%20-%20300%20Parts%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 - 300 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/3400427719/Linhai%20260%20-%20300%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 300 Parts Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/1938660329/Linhai%20300%20Parts%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai 260 Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/218261873/Linhai%20ATV%20Service%20Manual.pdf
      Linhai Bighorn CUV Service Manual
      http://rapidshare.com/files/2459140573/Linhai%20Bighorn%20CUV%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    • By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!